Sign in to follow this  
Chevy's Chevy Chase

Daydreaming

This is Thom/Jonny working their magic together. This isn't even a Thom solo song. It sounds nothing like a Thom solo. It is completely Radiohead from start to finish.

Agreed. Full band efforts are almost always more impressive than Thom solo stuff, even though I love most of his solo stuff. 

i still want thom to choke me

He's more stylish than ever. Gonna need to cop that fit

whew.png

it really seems like thom 'acting' -- and in a pretty dramatic role.

he does smile a couple of times. but it's a sad video.

i can relate to wanting to climb into a hole, but this looks like thom crawling back into the womb.

sigmund_freud35082.jpg

is this major dad/raymond tusk?

I still never get what people are talking about when they complain about "this doesn't even sound like _____ played on the song"

1) Who cares?

2) it's not like they're all sitting in a room with their respective instruments and write the song spontaneously. It's a collaborative process. Maybe Ed wrote the synth bass line for Burn the Witch, maybe Jonny wrote the piano for this. Nobody knows

This song is getting played at my funeral. I must admit my first impression was that it's too flat/underwhelming/TKOLesque, but after a few spins, holy shit I fucking love this.

All I can think about right now is dying peacefully while this song plays.

i still want thom to choke me

Don't we all.

The lyrics are fascinating - especially when you factor in the half of my life at the end - 23 years and in the video he walks through 23 doors!

One would presume it's to do with Rachel but the line we are happy to serve you makes me think it could even be relating to his time in radiohead? Which would be 23 years since Pablo honey?? We'll never know

I love it though - the soundscape is incredibly brooding sparse empty but ultimately warm and resolute - Thoms song writing has changed fundamentally so that the whole process now feels more organic and on the evidence so far I think this is going to be a stunning album

A pretty enough song (and quite a video), but so far Daydreaming is sounding too simple/straightforward. I've always loved Radiohead's daring left turns most--Paranoid Android's multiple parts; The National Anthem's blasting horns; Arpegggi's interlocking guitars. This song is pretty, but let's be honest: any reasonably talented keyboardist could have come up with this song's melody. It's possible that Radiohead is slipping a little, but that's no crime. It happens to all artists eventually.

I really like it. Reminds me of the Ether Festival version of Arpeggi from like, '05 in a way. When I first heard that, I thought Radiohead were going into a certain direction that never came to pass. Seems like they're finally back on that path, and I'm pretty excited to hear it.

i feel like really emotional when i get to the end of the video.  jeez.

Totes man. The bits where he breaks into smiles somehow I find them heartbreaking too, but the snow scenes man, when he staggered and the ending in the cave ;____________;

I hope Thom is okay

I like the scene in the elevator when he's looking up too. What a beautiful creature ;_;

I really like it. Reminds me of the Ether Festival version of Arpeggi from like, '05 in a way. When I first heard that, I thought Radiohead were going into a certain direction that never came to pass. Seems like they're finally back on that path, and I'm pretty excited to hear it.

Agree totally - was my first thought even during the 23 second teaser.

This song hits me in the stomach though. Its like exceptionally raw and almost clumsily obvious in its overtures. Some shit happened. I don't care to speculate that its a breakup because, despite it being so raw - Thom is still an extremely private individual. 

But this song does hurt man. Videotape would be, for me, the closest in terms of an outright statement (lyrically - musically, these songs are worlds apart).

Oh fuck....I stopped reading this thread 5 posts in. This song fucking owns, ok? It's fucking beautiful. It's RH2016. It crushes just about everything that everyone in pop/rock is trying to do/say these days. This new album is going to fucking rule.

A pretty enough song (and quite a video), but so far Daydreaming is sounding too simple/straightforward. I've always loved Radiohead's daring left turns most--Paranoid Android's multiple parts; The National Anthem's blasting horns; Arpegggi's interlocking guitars. This song is pretty, but let's be honest: any reasonably talented keyboardist could have come up with this song's melody. It's possible that Radiohead is slipping a little, but that's no crime. It happens to all artists eventually.

porcupine tree or muse might be more up your alley

Good lord. I've just been bawling my eyes out to this.

I feel like it's Thom confessing to the toll his art has had on his life – and especially his relationship with Rachel.