smwatson

NEW SONG - BURN THE WITCH

I will say I seriously doubted it was actually rh until Thom came in. Really strange song on first listen. I like it a lot but knowing what other songs are likely coming I doubt it'll be in my top half of the album. Depends how much of an ear worm it is

I agree, the start is very strange... kind of chipper/chirpy/jolly helped along by the videos opening, but then the vocal starts and the mood changes, along with the tone of the animation [which is very nostalgic for me]... Its an ear worm for me... I had to go and pick the wife and kids up, and it was buzzing around my head for the whole hour.

Its a great sounding track and despite all that's going on it avoids sounding muddy... I really hope Sound on Sound do a feature on the making of this album, as I'm sure it would make a grat read, if like me, you're into all the technical stuff.

Its a bit crass rating a track, but I would give it a 9/10.... great work boys. The only weak spot for me is the artwork, which is rather dull.

i love it. and i feel i'm a harsh if not arbitrary critic. especially when it comes to strings and orchestra in rock. (gimme that dirty nasty guitar and fuzz-pedal bass!) but they totally nailed it. it all works brilliantly!

can we talk about that video though? amazing!! i'm not all that familiar with trumpton and if it ever brainwashed kids to be insular, xenophobic and murderous. but what a brilliant way to make a political statement!

TRUMP-ton. ah makes perfect sense.

i love it. and i feel i'm a harsh if not arbitrary critic. especially when it comes to strings and orchestra in rock. (gimme that dirty nasty guitar and fuzz-pedal bass!) but they totally nailed it. it all works brilliantly!

can we talk about that video though? amazing!! i'm not all that familiar with trumpton and if it ever brainwashed kids to be insular, xenophobic and murderous. but what a brilliant way to make a political statement!

same :wub:

I will say I seriously doubted it was actually rh until Thom came in. Really strange song on first listen. I like it a lot but knowing what other songs are likely coming I doubt it'll be in my top half of the album. Depends how much of an ear worm it is

I saw it mentioned somewhere on here that it sounds like Coldplay at the beginning & dammit if that's not what I hear now. I've had it on repeat a lot today & it's a nice sunny track. Not at all like I was expecting after listening to the 15 second snippits on line. It will be interesting to see where it sits on the album. I don't see how this song will sit with Identikit or Ful Stop if it's even on the record or if the other songs we know are. I've not been disappointed by a RH record yet (even TKOL) & I doubt this will be the one that does it.

I agree, the start is very strange... kind of chipper/chirpy/jolly helped along by the videos opening, but then the vocal starts and the mood changes, along with the tone of the animation [which is very nostalgic for me]... Its an ear worm for me... I had to go and pick the wife and kids up, and it was buzzing around my head for the whole hour.

Its a great sounding track and despite all that's going on it avoids sounding muddy... I really hope Sound on Sound do a feature on the making of this album, as I'm sure it would make a grat read, if like me, you're into all the technical stuff.

Its a bit crass rating a track, but I would give it a 9/10.... great work boys. The only weak spot for me is the artwork, which is rather dull.

thats a dawn chorus- by definition 

thats a dawn chorus- by definition 

Indeed :D

It was more the strings though... as the birdy doesn't appear on the single, just the video.

So, you guys think they'll be releasing one track per day or per week or something until the album is "released"? Looks like that could be the strategy with the track list text.

And charge for every individual track? The idea did occur to me but it would lame to do that before confirming that an album package is even coming. You could be 5 singles in and then they release the album and you'd have paid for half the songs twice. I mean that would be dumb, but you couldn't know for certain until it was all over.

I think we will get an album announcement in a week or 2 and the album a week or two later either preceded or accompanied by the PTA video.

It seems very much to me that the band have looked to XL and said 'we weren't overjoyed with how things went with TKOL and we have neither the confidence nor energy to construct a new strategy for this record so you drive it how you think best and keep us in the loop'.

can you elaborate a bit on the statement? you talking Trumpton's or rh's?

see-saw looking thing that the kids are playing on in the video is a cucking stool, 19th century punishment tool for dunking uppity women.

cool, thanks for sharing.

more deets on the references please, everyone! ftr i have nothing to offer, so far at least.

i like claymation way more than whatever technique was used for house of cards

think i haven't enjoyed a rh video so much since pyramid song

wow, finally, it's kinda surreal listening to it tbh, very cute video, agree with the coldplay comparisons but that's not a bad thing.

Happy to drop a few bucks on this in the vague hope it might top the charts.

Listened to it on repeat during a 45-minute train ride. Did not get boring. So many lovely little hooky details.