Sign in to follow this  
OlaCorleone

Which HTTT song would you get rid of?

I didn't like Drunken Punchup at first. But it grew on me over time. I arrived at a meaningful interpretation of the lyrics. Now I think it's a solid part of the album. Scatterbrain was similar, it took some time - and interpretation - for me to fully appreciate.

Maybe I'll come around to WIEAYB as well, eventually. It's got its moments but overall I've never enjoyed the verses. (For the record, I absolutely love Staircase, but don't see its resemblance to WEIAYB). Myxomatosis is another one that never really grew on me, just feels like the work of a lesser band.

Can't believe anyone would cut I Will! An immortal tear-jerker!

Anyway. All HTTT songs belong on HTTT, even my least favorite ones. It's very multifaceted but there is an overall coherence. I always listen to it from beginning to end without skipping tracks, just like other RH albums. HTTT could have used a bit more production and refinement, but it doesn't bother me that it's a bit over-long (even if it bothers Thom). I actually think that's part of it's charm. Just like how KoL is a little short. Not every album needs to be the same length.

Also sorry to double post but thats mobile internet for you.

We suck young blood certainly should've gone, Punch-up at a weeding can go too it's just silly. I will should be there but a better version maybe?

They could have done something cool with true love waits for this album too. And there's a couple of others could go, scatterbrain...

i really like this album. didn't know people had problems with it.

the only songs i didn't like at first were the lullaby one and the i will one. because they're slow songs. but i grew to like them.

then, as mentioned i just grew to not like the no no song.

but overall i think the following 9 songs are all 11+ point brilliant ass songs:

4. Backdrifts." (Honeymoon is Over.) 5:22

5. "Go to Sleep." (Little Man being Erased.) 3:21

6. "Where I End and You Begin." (The Sky is Falling in.) 4:29

7. "We suck Young Blood." (Your Time is up.) 4:56

8. "The Gloaming." (Softly Open our Mouths in the Cold.) 3:32

9. "There there." (The Boney King of Nowhere.) 5:25            

12. "Myxomatosis." (Judge, Jury & Executioner.) 3:52

13. "Scatterbrain." (As Dead as Leaves.) 3:21

14. "A Wolf at the Door." (It Girl. Rag Doll.)

so to have 9 great songs, 2 more i love just not as much as the other NINE, 2 slow songs i grew to like, and one song i hate... that is an amazingly strong album imo.

and i'm really happy with the last 3 songs.

yeah myxo is like top 10 radiohead, i have a major soft spot for scatterbrain because of the lyrics and the little pseudo-latin drum beat, and wolf at the door might be my favorite radiohead album closer.

Here's a version of the album without much of the trash, overlong piano ballads, and awful high school political lyrics

1. Backdrifts

2. Go to Sleep

3. Gloaming

4. There There

5. I Will (LA version)

6. Paperbag Writer

7. Where I End and You Begin

8. Punch up at a Wedding

9. Myxomatosis

10. Scatterbrain

11. Wolf at the Door

Even without the transitions ironed out this is a fun album in a playlist. It's loose and has the energy of a live show

Imagine it's 2003 and you're starting off listening to it, "oh look weird electronic sounds, oh wait Thoms singing more straightforward... wait is that a piano INTERESTING!!! Oh shit this next song is straight up acoustic guitar rock wtf, oh look now it's weird again but this rhythm shiz isn't letting up, oh fuck THERE THERE IS AMAZING, etc"

As it was constructed the album is an absolute slog to get though. 2+2 ages worse and worse every year, lyrics sound like they were outsourced to teenagers on Reddit or something, then a boring ass piano song that's pretty, then the worst song ever, then backdrifts is absolutely submarined by the lack of momentum, and the album doesn't get going because we keep on going back and forth between the electronic rhythmic stuff and the slow ballads. It's a mess.

My things way better, confirmed, case closed, etc

I would definitely cut WSYB, it's one of only a handful of their songs that i actually dislike. If I had to cut two more they'd be Sail to the Moon and I Will.
HTTT is a strange one. I do like it and listen to it often but the lack of flow irritates. However it's the album I always recommend as a Radiohead starter pack for casual or open minded non-fans as it has a bit of everything: rock, folk, acoustic, electronic etc.

Here's a version of the album without much of the trash, overlong piano ballads, and awful high school political lyrics

1. Backdrifts

2. Go to Sleep

3. Gloaming

4. There There

5. I Will (LA version)

6. Paperbag Writer

7. Where I End and You Begin

8. Punch up at a Wedding

9. Myxomatosis

10. Scatterbrain

11. Wolf at the Door

Even without the transitions ironed out this is a fun album in a playlist. It's loose and has the energy of a live show

Imagine it's 2003 and you're starting off listening to it, "oh look weird electronic sounds, oh wait Thoms singing more straightforward... wait is that a piano INTERESTING!!! Oh shit this next song is straight up acoustic guitar rock wtf, oh look now it's weird again but this rhythm shiz isn't letting up, oh fuck THERE THERE IS AMAZING, etc"

As it was constructed the album is an absolute slog to get though. 2+2 ages worse and worse every year, lyrics sound like they were outsourced to teenagers on Reddit or something, then a boring ass piano song that's pretty, then the worst song ever, then backdrifts is absolutely submarined by the lack of momentum, and the album doesn't get going because we keep on going back and forth between the electronic rhythmic stuff and the slow ballads. It's a mess.

My things way better, confirmed, case closed, etc

Say what you want but 2+2 will rock until the end of time.

Paperbag Writer? Give me a break.

it has a bit of everything: rock, folk, acoustic, electronic etc.

This is precisely why I really enjoy HTTT. This, and it's the only Radiohead album I could describe as "energetic" (with the exception of TKOL Live From the Basement). The slow stuff appealed to me more when I was younger, but I like more upbeat/schizophrenic/energetic stuff now. Or at least the electronic edge their newer slow songs incorporate.

I can't part with WSYB..... it may be a mood song but it's one of those rare and beautiful dark songs by them.. not to mention that piano break.

I think every song on that album is a keeper and I couldn't imagine not having them. I don't know I still believe it's one of their best albums. Not the best BUT definitely in my top 3 (I always cheat and count Kid Amnesiac as one album).

I was listening to it today. I don't think the lenght or the amount of songs were the problem. But if I had to cut one, it would be "A Punch Up At A Wedding". Back when the album first came out, this was the first time I ever skipped a radiohead song on first listen.

It's still a really good album, but for me it feels flawed. If I could have my way, i'd make the following changes.

The first 3 songs are perfect for me. Although the "no raindrops" bit on "Sit Down Stand Up" gets a bit old by the time it ends. I think another vocal part coming in there would make it more interesting.

Backdrifts: I think bringing in a more human percussion and organic sound to mix with the eletronics , would make this blend with the album better. I think the same with "The Gloaming".

Go To Sleep: It starts off great, but kind of just fizzles out. I think they need to come up with another bit for it, or some kind of climax.

We Suck Young Blood: I think this does have a strong melody, but I'd speed it up a tad, make it shorter, and make Thom sing it way better because his singing is awful on this.

There There: I'd have this a little bit faster, this always seems like the tempo drags to me.

I Will: This is a really strong song, with a great melody and good lyrics. So why don't I like it? That souless guitar tone doesn't help. I've heard a full band version of this which was much better

Myxomatosis: I want this song to sound heavier. The drums sound so gentle and polite. I'd have everything dirtier and more aggressive. The synth parts that come in are a little bland too.

Scatterbrain:  The melody that comes in at the end shoud be brought in earlier as kind of a chorus. And there's that souless electric guitar sound again. I love the melodies, but I think it would be better with another instrument instead of that electric guitar.

Wolf At The Door sounds perfect.

Any this is all just one man's opinion. I know a lot of people love this album just the way it is.  I still think it's a really good album.

this thread has made me relisten to this album. Quite a weird listening experience. 

wish wolf at the door had a hip hop style video with thom spitting da rhymes 

I really tried, for 13 years, to like this album....but I can't. It's not that good. 

Yes, there are some nice tracks on it, but....the thing is just long and unfocused.

Sit down Stand up......I don't like this track. 

We Suck Young Blood: I always skip this track. I

Punch-Up: Fun to sing along with

But removing tracks or adding tracks can't save HTTT.

No, I understand why they wanted to try out a new producer for IR. 

The B sides were pretty good though.

However, this is many people's favorite RH album. That's fair. It's probably the album that introduced them to Radiohead. I get it.

And I'm always astonished when I see HTTT ranked above OKC.