Sign in to follow this  
OlaCorleone

Which HTTT song would you get rid of?

I've just recently listened to the album and realised why so many people (including Thom and Colin) say it's got more tracks on it than it should. After a few spins, I think I've pretty much made my decision on which tracks to erase forever. Here it goes, worst to best:

We Suck Young Blood (Nice interlude but seriously no.)

Where I End and You Begin (Doesn't deliver.)

Go to Sleep. (There's something missing. Don't know what it is, I'm just always left wondering "is that it?" after it had ended.)

Less likely so:

A Punchup at a Wedding (Very basic. Even though I like it now, I can see myself getting tired of it.)

Actually, upon listening to these songs again just now to make the thread, I'm starting to realise this could be a bit harsh. Maybe they'll grow on me later like all Amnesiac tracks did. Or OK Computer, for that matter. RH always finds a way to grow on me. Who knows!

Apologies if this thread had already been made. I'm new here and new to RH.

I don't understand the Backdrifts hate. I fell in love with it instantaneously, and don't know why they don't play it live more often.

We Suck Young Blood's only merit is Thom's voice; he sings it really well. Also the clapping is kinda cool. Title is so cringeworthy though, were they taking the piss?

wsyb closely followed by punchup. both dirges that seem to go on forever. they'd maybe be tolerable if they were half as long

great album overall though, been listening to it a lot lately

while I could semi-understand We Suck, Punch-Up, Go To Sleep, Scatterbrain, Sail Me To The moon etc

I think the only one i'd totally knock out of the proverbial thief park is EYE WILL

ugh!

they RUINED I will!

the version with the intro is a tiny bit better but not even close to what MPIE promised (what it could have BIN!)

in mine (warped) mind they fucked up I WILL, RECKONER (not even the real reckoner? also thom fucked up a SECOND time with Horsies! what the fuck!), NUDE (that is NOT what big idears shoulda been like! fuck 'em!)

etc

so yeah

cut I WILL and the 13 track album would be great!

it probably wouldn't be in anyway possible to fit it in right (maybe as a Zero Track / pre-1 gap track?) but where blue birdies DIE! would be awesome!

love that track!

yeah pre gap / THE ZERO TRACK woulda worked!

like a bonus secret INTRO!

that you could decide to rewind and play or not play!

hey hey!

I've already said this on the unpopular opinions thread, but...

First choice would be Where I End And You Begin; a weak song.

Second would be Myxomatosis; a dumb song. 

Both are just too... corny.

Don't understand the hate for some of the other brilliant HTTT songs mentioned here. Go to Sleep? I Will? But then again a lot of people adore the two that I mentioned.

But honestly I wouldn't actually cut anything. There are a couple of weaker songs among the 14 (everyone disagrees on which ones), but overall I appreciate the sprawling experience. That's part of its unique character and it wouldn't be HTTT otherwise. Nice tight albums are great, but I like how it's a bit different.

(And even 'weak' RH songs are pretty good. Post Pablo-Honey at least.) 

General insult directed toward WSYB haters. damn fools don't know good when you hear it. you make me mad.

There is only one bad song on HTTT. When they asked themselves whether to put it on the album they should have said, "No no no no no no no no."

Every other song is fine to great.

we suck young blood was my instant favorite when the 2002 bootlegs started rolling out, and even though it wore a little thin on me over time and has been surpassed by like half of the rest of the album, i will never, ever understand why people hate it so much. all the intertwining harmonies and guitar bits and piano and ondes are gorgeously arranged and it's so deliciously, unapologetically depressing. the interlude is nice, a big wammo punctuation right where it's needed, but it's far from the best thing about that song.

anyway, punch-up should go. it'd be an ok b-side but it drags the album IMO. it feels like a song written on auto-pilot. actually i will can go too. cut that section out and httt is like a top 3 or 4 radiohead album.

anyway, punch-up should go. it'd be an ok b-side but it drags the album IMO. it feels like a song written on auto-pilot.

yep. perfectly said. the album survives it. it prevails. so much other brilliant work on it. but punch up doesn't rise to the level of the rest.

i feel bad for the band too. it's like they don't even know how bad it is. they played it roughly about the same number of times as backdrifts, and backdrifts is amazing live. so they seem to be too close to it to know which one is great and which one isn't. plus There There is the live go-to for that album. but they could stop playing that live and start playing backdrifts, go to sleep, wieayb, and 12, 13 & 14.

kinda getting excited for a new tour now, talkin' about live stuff.

I'm a bit surprised at how many people dont like Sail To The Moon. Honestly one of the most beautiful songs on HTTT.

But in all honesty, I wouldn't cut out any of the tracks. Like I said before, I would SHORTEN particular tracks, but I wouldn't cut out any of them

Man--I had no idea this many people hated Punch Up--I love that song (one of the few energetic, piano-based songs from Radiohead until DITNU came out). HTTT is always in the top three of an ever-changing mental "favorite Radiohead albums" list, but you could definitely trim some fat.

I don't necessarily agree with the WSYB hate. I think what that song really needs is to treat the fast part like a chorus and do it twice (and end on it). That would totally save that song--which I don't much mind to begin with. But even as it sounds, I appreciate the small sliver of every enough to enjoy a listen of the song on most playthroughs.

WIEAYB is pure gold. Do you guys also hate Staircase? Those are perfect songs in my opinion, and WIEAYB is mostly what always kept me coming back to HTTT in the early days.

Given the spectacular energy of the live version and the comparatively stale studio version, I'd say The Gloaming is on the chopping block, along with Backdrifts or Go to Sleep. None of which are bad songs--they could just be better and I typically skip them on the way to better tracks.

My HTTT song ranking will be

Myxomatosis

Backdrifts

There There

2+2=5

Sail to the Moon

The Gloaming

A Wolf at the Door

Punchup at a Wedding

Don't really care for the rest. They have some good moments but I'm not sure about them.

So far, I'd say it's a weak album with some good tracks. This might change the more I listen to it though.