lifer

Best Live Experience

A month ago, when Kid A turned 15, I sent a text to my buddy to remind him to revisit it. He needed distractions, since he'd been fighting liver cancer for most of the year. We thought he was winning the battle, actually. He replied that he would soon, but was in the hospital trying to control chronic nausea that had sidelined him for several days. Unfortunately, they discovered the cancer had metastasized to his brain, hence the nausea. His funeral is this coming Saturday.

In 2008, this friend and I drove 7 hours to Santa Barbara to see Radiohead's last night of the In Rainbows tour. I've been fortunate to see them live several times, but this show is the most special to me now. 

Amazing how much this band has been part of my life and the lives of my friends in such an impactful way for so long. So grateful to/for them, I can't even tell you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZPyduzPaI8

That's just one set out of lord knows how many. Figured it thread worthy. 

cool gonna watch that. i think i've watched it before.

of course, sorry for your loss.

for sentimental reasons, i'll call first time the best time. 20 years ago. just a short set but it's what made me a fan. I was like man, that dude is a great singer but the band is a power horse.

fieldday fest was the best show ever. it had poured all day but stopped for radiohead. the setlist was incredible. it was within a day of HTTT being released. beastie boys opened for them. beck had to cancel because of a wrist injury, which i'm sure allowed them to play longer.

too lazy to link -- the same year -- 2 nights at MSG -- thom was accosted onstage during airbag which was funny, and he also did awatd & true love waits.

and all points west 8/8/8 was a difficult day for me but i was up front and they did dollars and cents. good outdoor show.

A month ago, when Kid A turned 15, I sent a text to my buddy to remind him to revisit it. He needed distractions, since he'd been fighting liver cancer for most of the year. We thought he was winning the battle, actually. He replied that he would soon, but was in the hospital trying to control chronic nausea that had sidelined him for several days. Unfortunately, they discovered the cancer had metastasized to his brain, hence the nausea. His funeral is this coming Saturday.

In 2008, this friend and I drove 7 hours to Santa Barbara to see Radiohead's last night of the In Rainbows tour. I've been fortunate to see them live several times, but this show is the most special to me now. 

Amazing how much this band has been part of my life and the lives of my friends in such an impactful way for so long. So grateful to/for them, I can't even tell you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZPyduzPaI8

beautiful, touching story.  thank you for sharing and yes, so sorry for your loss....

btw, i was there too!  it was an extremely special night.  need to revisit it. 

Really, I can't pick. It's been great every time. Getting to the show is always an adventure. Last time, I drove by myself for two days. The build up is amazing. I do have a soft spot for 2002 in San Sebastian. The way the crowd clapped to Morning Bell, and how I heard Punchdrunk for the first time, how Up on the Ladder was on fire, also Four Tet was the opener and I missed most of it because I was strolling along on top of the cliffs overlooking the ocean. After the show, I drove back across the French border and slept in my car on the beach. The whole thing felt very romantic.

Incidentally, a good friend of mine who was crazy about radiohead also passed away recently. Every new release, she'd email me "so? what do you think?". I had not met her yet in 97, the year of my first show, but we found out later that we were both at the same show that day, so the fan bond was pretty tight.

Seeing Radiohead has always been a treat.  I've been lucky to see them twice and both were surreal experiences.  The first time was at the infamous Nissan Pavilion gig (now Jiffy Lube Live) in May 2008 which was a horrid evening of torrential downpour unlike any other.  I remember the Bull Run gigs in 2001 were cancelled due to rain, but I wasn't a huge fan then.  I was so excited and luckily my friend and I got in and we were able to catch the opener Liars as well.  Within 3 seconds of exiting the car, my friend and I were drenched in water from head to toe, but it was worth it.  I ended up getting sick the next day, but whatever honestly.  It was a spectacular evening and I couldn't really complain about the setlist, because honestly, anything they played would've been wonderful.  They played all of In Rainbows and a few other tracks I was delighted to hear, most notably Bangers n' Mash and Optimistic (which is one of my favorite RH songs and songs of all time).  The encore was special as they played Fake Plastic Trees (first time played on that tour) and dedicated it to the fans who couldn't make it (which was a lot evidently) and it made for a moving sing-a-long (as well as Karma Police, which was also a first on that tour).  Overall, an amazing night and a great start to that summer.

Funnily enough, I saw them again in D.C. during The Kings of Limbs tour in June 2012.  Luckily, they played an indoor venue this time, the Verizon Center, which was an arena.  I really wanted good seats, so I shelved out some big dough from a vendor on eBay.  I got ripped off, but what can you do?  I really wanted to see them from the pit.  While the first time may have been more special, the second time was more fun I think.  I enjoyed the opener, Caribou, so that set the tone for an exciting evening.  I also made a friend at the show who was a die hard fan and she hadn't been to a concert in years, so this was momentous for her.  The setlist was great, they played some notable favorites of mine, including Airbag, You and Whose Army & Go to Sleep (which I wouldn't have expected them to play, albeit I cheated and saw some earlier setlists).  It was an incredible night and these two gigs rate as some of the finest I've ever seen (granted I am a bit biased, but I've seen my share of shows, so it means a lot).  I was able to get shirts at both gigs (I am still a sucker for that sort of thing, albeit a lot less these days, since you know...they cost money).  

It's always fun to hear of people's experience of a live show and the significance it holds for many, a fun thread. 

btw, i was there too!

B)

The whole thing felt very romantic.

Incidentally, a good friend of mine who was crazy about radiohead also passed away recently.

:hug:

I was so excited and luckily my friend and I got in and we were able to catch the opener Liars as well.

photo-3454.jpg?_r=1360300861

man this is tough, really sorry man :hug: glad you had such a great memory mwith him

Really, I can't pick. It's been great every time. Getting to the show is always an adventure. Last time, I drove by myself for two days. The build up is amazing. I do have a soft spot for 2002 in San Sebastian. The way the crowd clapped to Morning Bell, and how I heard Punchdrunk for the first time, how Up on the Ladder was on fire, also Four Tet was the opener and I missed most of it because I was strolling along on top of the cliffs overlooking the ocean. After the show, I drove back across the French border and slept in my car on the beach. The whole thing felt very romantic.

Incidentally, a good friend of mine who was crazy about radiohead also passed away recently. Every new release, she'd email me "so? what do you think?". I had not met her yet in 97, the year of my first show, but we found out later that we were both at the same show that day, so the fan bond was pretty tight.

:hug:

yeah i haven't posted in quite some time. kid a's bday seemed like a good time to revisit mt. shortly afterwards this deal happened with my buddy and i figured it was too encompassing not to share. 

i recognize your signature, but your display name must have changed. i can't seem to place. hello anyway! 

oh i went under foodcourt or ed nog for some time. my name is fanny. i remember you from the gigsgigs thread, of course. seems like you went to lots of shows, unlike me, which is why i aways liked to read your comments.

seen them twice, both in manchester, one in 2008 and one in 2012

2008 was pretty great. outdoor gig during summer so basically no lightshow, but 26 songs (3 encores)

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/radiohead/2008/old-trafford-cricket-ground-manchester-england-13d6bdcd.html

2012 was intense. 3 encores again. 24 songs. first encore was 10/10. 

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/radiohead/2012/manchester-arena-manchester-england-bdd3992.html

birthday gig too? must have been intense, indeed! good to see you, smwatson. 26/24 songs. all incredible. 

i like how halfway through a radiohead set, you have time to realize that you're experiencing something unlike any other. mouth agape. mind blown. still a dozen of your favorites on deck. that's the best.

fanny foodcourt, i remember now. gigs thread is still alive, i see. and since going to a concert and being there, in the moment, living a communal hour or so that still can't be captured on a device; one of the last remaining thrills in the world, i'm not surprised at your vicarious enjoyment.

now that we're back on track, i should mention one of my other BEST LIVE EXPERIENCES in 2006; a berkeley set when they were trying out IR songs. i'll never forget mt workhorses building GOD.rar. doc and big piro and and and whoever else putting together the best of the boots. that was so fun. 

i caught this one: http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/radiohead/2006/greek-theatre-berkeley-ca-7bd6f23c.html

pretty sure one of those, maybe weird fishes/arpeggi was part of the best of. no matter, that venue is undoubtedly my favorite place to see a show. this is of another band, but is a good capture of the space. 

i remember waking up the next morning and feeling like, i can't believe they're playing another different set again tonight out there and i can't go! /spoiled

greek%20berkeley_zpsltue2rgf.jpg

i like how halfway through a radiohead set, you have time to realize that you're experiencing something unlike any other. mouth agape. mind blown. still a dozen of your favorites on deck. that's the best.

so true, that's what it was like for me.

now that we're back on track, i should mention one of my other BEST LIVE EXPERIENCES in 2006; a berkeley set when they were trying out IR songs. i'll never forget mt workhorses building GOD.rar. doc and big piro and and and whoever else putting together the best of the boots. that was so fun. 

i caught this one: http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/radiohead/2006/greek-theatre-berkeley-ca-7bd6f23c.html

pretty sure one of those, maybe weird fishes/arpeggi was part of the best of. no matter, that venue is undoubtedly my favorite place to see a show. this is of another band, but is a good capture of the space. 

i remember waking up the next morning and feeling like, i can't believe they're playing another different set again tonight out there and i can't go! /spoiled

greek%20berkeley_zpsltue2rgf.jpg

omg... i love that picture.  brings back memories.  and you were there too??? dude we catch good shows. B)   i was lucky to go both nights in berkeley (and got rail! - back when i could still do that) and they are up there with the best shows i've seen.  between the two, the 2006 tour was definitely the more special IR tour for me. 

Hammersmith Apollo, London 2006

Victoria Park, London 2008

MEN Arena, Manchester 2012

All great but Victoria Park has to be the one. Reckoner opening was glorious. Day turned to night and the cool light show came on. Great setlist, just perfect really.

Best RH concerts were seen from point blank range: the pit of Madison Square Garden for HTTT and the pit of Oracle Arena for TKOL. IMHO, their outdoor concerts (have seen two of them) weren't quite as good. 

Also had the pleasure of seeing Thom perform The Eraser for two consecutive nights in Oakland, from the first "row" (though no seats). Among other highlights, I heard Thom sing Love will Tear us Apart. Unreal

I lived in Texas during the In Rainbows tour and they came to Houston, Austin, and Dallas and I got tickets for ALL of those motherfuckers! I also bought tickets for an LA show and drove from Austin to see them. I had not seen them live before Houston and wanted to make up for lost time so all in all I got 4 shows in the span of a month or two.

At the end of the Houston show as the last song was ringing out through the speakers, the lights came up, the band was gone and I just remember looking around at other people. Our minds had been blown and we were all just wandering around saying "What am I supposed to do now?" 

It was like we'd been taken to deep space and shown the mysteries of the universe and were just supposed to go back to normal life. It was amazing and a feeling I'll never forget. 3 shows in the span of a week wasn't enough still. It's like that every show and it's beautiful. There were times when I expected the whole arena to just lift off the ground and turn into a spaceship and zip us all off to the planet we're supposed to be on. I was also pretty damn high but you get the picture.

I really don't want to pay $500 again for a ticket to the LA show but it appears that's the only option left. And if I've got it at the time, it will be well spent $