Sign in to follow this  
ihggy-GP

MT Comp 'November 2015' - Available now!

I'm way more familiar with the first half already, except Jitter. In a few more days I should have most songs memorised. I find I can't write about the songs while I'm listening.

Yes the penguins. I'm not entirely satsified with what I did with my sampled penguins, but I still think they have great potential.

06. Constance - George Woskob

this is the sort of track i'd have to listen to like 20 or 30 times to have any idea if there's anything i'd change about it. pretty old school IDM, i'm glad there's someone on MT still attempting that type of song structure. definitely enjoying this. were you the one that did salt story (too lazy to go digging for it)? if so kudos on branching out. if not, oops, but yah this easy to get lost in. might be my favorite on this mix.

Yeah Salt Story was me. That was a while ago :) Good memory!

I'm way more familiar with the first half already, except Jitter. In a few more days I should have most songs memorised. I find I can't write about the songs while I'm listening.

Yes the penguins. I'm not entirely satsified with what I did with my sampled penguins, but I still think they have great potential.

These penguins are going places

I dreamt about listening to this compilation last night :)

Out

Oooh. Is this an angry song? Some sort of frustration. Your voice is somewhere between singing and talking through most of the song. I’d either go with one or the other. For instance, your last, “you don’t know what it means” is great because I think you’re projecting more. If you were consistent with that sound I think it’d sound really good. 

Jitter

The vocals and songwriting are the strongest here. You’ve got a strong voice. I think the guitar and drums are little distracting. They embellish all over the place inconsistently. I kinda want there to be two guitars, like a rhythm and lead. It would sound especially good at the end to have that and you could be a little more deliberate throughout about your embellishments.

Gone are the Days

This is great. Nice little Doors opening. The drums sound very 60s too. Reminds me a bit of “Punchdrunk Lovesick Singalong”. The rhythm is a little too loose at moments but I like this one a lot.

A wave of clicks are being fired at my head. This is awesome. I feel like I’m in some digital rain storm. The voices that come in during the second half of the second minute are great. Most of the rest of the vocals don’t work too well for me. Trumpets. I can’t help but think of that Tim and Eric promo I posted above.

How Can You Be Cool

That’s a great synth + bass line. Reminds me of Anika. You should listen to her if you don’t. It’s the guys from Beak (Portishead) producing and playing. Oh I like these vocals. So lame in the best way. Just as the song gets more positive :) The form is kind of confusing. I can’t tell if this is going anywhere. It’s kind of like LCD Soundsystem in its fourth minute but I still don’t know where it’s going and LCD songs usually have more direction.

Debris Gem

This is great sampling. Kind of Stockhausen-y. This song made me want to eat some ice cream cake. The penguin noises are amazing.

Inside Your Mind

The delay on the vocals is overpowering. I don’t have a lot of say about this. It’s loud and messy but I wish it weren’t so messy. The ending is cool with the reversed sounds and jet engine noises.

Honey Cake

This is so pretty and sad. It’s a lot like Elliott Smith, other than the piano. Great job. I wish the voice was clearer in the mix. I’d love to hear what was being sung.

Shallowest Breathing

Despite the title, I feel a breath of fresh air. This is a great ending to this comp. Clean and clear production. Your music always makes me feel a little better, even though this isn’t the happiest of songs. Great songwriting.

inconsistent as in there's too much going on/too many little fills etc? or as in it's sloppy/hit or miss? cos it is a pretty sloppy take. but we're not a very measured band the way you're describing i think, still trying to pretend to be jazz musicians and i mean there's a fucking mars volta poster up in the jam room sooo haha

inconsistent as in there's too much going on/too many little fills etc? or as in it's sloppy/hit or miss? cos it is a pretty sloppy take. but we're not a very measured band the way you're describing i think, still trying to pretend to be jazz musicians and i mean there's a fucking mars volta poster up in the jam room sooo haha

Yeah the fills themselves all sound fine it's just like they come in haphazardly.

I will update/complete this.

1-I picture myself underwater, and the voice sounds would come from the surface, hence the distortion. It's beautiful and appeasing. I feel like I am a seal made of crystal. It's a fairly simple arrangement yet very full.
2-Really dig the song structure and layering. Not too sure about the synth in the background, they don't seem out of place, but the song is already rich in sounds, and maybe the synth wouldn't be missed if they weren't there. It's good all along, and chill.
3-This is dark and creepy and really good. I guess the voice reminds me of massive attack, but maybe also the general vibe. I really like the atmosphere.
4-This one is taking more time for me. I dig the music, and the singing is good, but it doesn't grab me.
5-I love it, especially the beat. Very flawless mix of course. I dig how tension builds up up until the harp-y sounds. It's like a very suspenseful story. Drug-induced.
6-I think it's a good song, a good performance, a good mix. Whatever effects have been applied to the voice are just not doing it for me. Seems like a nice solid voice that deserves to sound more natural.
7-Very exciting song for me: reminds me of some stuff by one of my favourite bands Tue-Loup, especially the dissonant/unresolved chords. Catchy. Dense. I like the singing and voice, as well as how the guitars and bass and drums sound. What's your contribution? Guitar? Voice? Is this a one take with your band? Either way, it seems like it would be demanding to play and not easy to put together.
8-
9-Nice play with tension and relief. Unnerving. Can't help but think of Tétines noires, another great band. The "boom" is killer.
10-Ridiculously good. Subtle and fun. A great tune to walk to the gas station. I should get my headphones out.
11-(my track) I intend on finishing this, because I think it could be good, but without a deadline, the momentum is floating in the air. The file i meant to submit did not include the last 30 seconds.
12-
13-Beautiful, as always. Nice arrangement. The sound quality of the latest recordings finally does justice to your songs. More!
14-I love it. A great song for your voice. I think I could do with less reverb on the guitar solo, but it closes off the song nice and tight, timing wise. I agree that the voice is fainter, but I actually like it this way. Good writing and good arrangement.

Altogether, it's a very nice comp to listen to, and some tracks have really blown my mind. Thanks so much everyone!

HAHAHAHA, this is incredible. OH MY GOD IT'S BEAUTIFUL

7-Very exciting song for me: reminds me of some stuff by one of my favourite bands Tue-Loup, especially the dissonant/unresolved chords. Catchy. Dense. I like the singing and voice, as well as how the guitars and bass and drums sound. What's your contribution? Guitar? Voice? Is this a one take with your band? Either way, it seems like it would be demanding to play and not easy to put together.

i played guitar. yeah live take together, except the vocals were dubbed in afterwards. it's basically a demo.

glad you liked it! i'm gonna check out these Tue-Loup folks for sure now. where do i start?