Sign in to follow this  
ihggy-GP

MT Comp 'November 2015' - Available now!

hey guys, the NEW MT COMP is out now! You can download it here:

https://mortigitempo.bandcamp.com/album/november-2015

it's goood! here is the tracklist

01. Clearwater - Kyriakos Ioannou

02. Left Behind Quick - Isolde

03. Ytho? - Elliott Heath

04. Trials & Tribulations (Psych Version) - Warganization

05. Out - noobjens007

06. Constance - George Woskob

07. Jitter - Disappearing Dunbar

08. Gone Are The Days - The Links

09. #001 - Minotawr

10. How Can You Be Cool? - Tone Police

11. Debris Gems - Walter Ego

12. Inside Your Mind - Master Shortpants

13. honey cake - dsfasdfa

14. Shallowest Breathing - Tommy Praisewater

It was a good listen but damn that tracklist felt random. Some of the transitions are iffy as well.

Odd choice for an opener, feels more like a penultimate song. I like the atmosphere but the vocal sampling feels out of place. It's a shame because the rest of the song is really well crafted ambience. The chromatic percussion loops provide a pretty little bed for the song to rest on, but it's a bit too short in my opinion.

By far the loudest song on the album, heavily limited in mastering I'm guessing. It's groovy, the bassline is fun. The vocals are well recorded and the singing is good. I'm not sure what else to say about this song really, I like it though. The percussion is well mixed, I suppose I could mention that.

This is my song. It sounds really quiet coming after the very loud previous song. I do have to question the song ordering on this album somewhat.

04. Trials & Tribulations (Psych Version) - Warganization

My favourite song so far. The bassline is great and the guitar playing is really nicely done too. I am going to unironically use the word funky to describe this song. The vocals are good, they remind me of someone but I can't remember who. The noises and effects at the end are great fun to listen to. The only criticism I have is that the basic song underneath all the arranging and embellishment is a bit thin, I can't imagine an acoustic version of this being anywhere near as good, but who cares.

05. Constance - George Woskob

Really good percussion. I'm inclined to think that it's mainly samples, but nevertheless it sounds good and the sounds are well mixed. The stringy sounds are really nice as well. This song manages to be both epic-sounding and unpretentious at the same time, which I know from experience to be a difficult thing to pull off. The dissonant sounds at the end work really well, I like the feel of this song a lot. This song and previous song are my two favourites so far, though that's probably just because they come straight after my own song.

06. Out - noobjens007

I was expecting something very different with the seaside sounds at the start. It's an interesting mix of heavy guitars, acoustic picking and corny synths. The vocals are weirdly effective, and I say that as someone who absolutely loathes the use of the word 'effective' in descriptions of music, it's the sort of word a music teacher would use. The song feels a bit repetitive but it's well mixed and does what it's supposed to do, I suppose. The heavy bits don't really work for me, it feels a bit thrown together. It's not a bad song though, not by any stretch.

07. Jitter - Disappearing Dunbar

Well recorded hi-hats mixed with poorly recorded snare, that's interesting. The guitars sound good, the bass is fun as well, I like the parts where it walks. The vocals are questionable but I get the feeling that this was intentional. It's quite a catchy song, one of the more poppy ones on the album, although the way the progression resolves is quite unusual for a pop song. I like this but I do wish the vocals had been given some work, it sounds like they were recorded in one take, with very little rehearsal.

It sounds like someone went back in time to the 1960s and taught the engineers how to record the bass guitar properly. The band name is appropriate given the vibe of the song. The organ is really enjoyable to listen to and the singing is good. It's like a modern psych-rock song but without the usual blandness that tends to go with that. A+ for effort on this one. Not sure what that weird sound at the end is though, sounds like the next song coming in early or something.

09. #001 - Minotawr

This is the weirdest song I've ever heard. It sounds like the noise you get when you move a lead around inside a socket. It's innovative but not exactly catchy. The climax works, in a peculiar kind of way. The song is well mixed and the vocals are almost punky at points. I'm really curious as to how some of these sounds were created. It's quite weird how the song feels almost unfinished, given that it's the longest song on the album.

Reminds me of early New Order. That kick drum is so untreated that it almost feels like it's going to burst out through the speakers. The flute preset is cute and I like the guitar playing. The vocals spoil it for me though, they sound a bit too much like an afterthought and could probably have been left out. The little bleeps near the end are quite funny.

Sounds like someone's first attempt at a song. That said, it's a much more successful effort than my first attempt was. Feels more like an interlude than a song in its own right. Probably should have been placed nearer the middle of the album. The song ends abruptly and is followed by several seconds of silence before some vocal loops reappear briefly, I suppose that's an interesting touch.

The clip at the beginning is amusing. When the guitars kick in it feels like it's going to be a shoegaze song. When the vocals kick in, this is confirmed. I like the soundscape and the general vibe of the song, but it is a bit of a snoozer, nothing inherently wrong with that though. Could have done with an extra minute or two to develop, it feels unfinished as it is.

I like this. The instruments clash but it somehow works. The vocals are probably the nicest on the album. The lyrics are indecipherable but I get the feeling that this doesn't matter. The song is called honey cake, and that's what the song feels like, a honey cake. I like the guitar playing, it's like an amateur has been granted the ability to play like a professional for an afternoon, if that makes sense.

Is this what they call 'alternative rock'? It feels like it would fit under that umbrella. The vibe is sulky, but it works well. There's a catchy song in here but the vocals are too smothered in effects to really shine. The instrumentation is well arranged and recorded and could benefit from a clearer vocal. If I were to remix this track, I would bring the vocals forward and make more use of the stereo-panorama. The guitar solo is really good, it could have been a bit louder though, not to mention longer, though that's a compliment really. It's a good closer anyway, I quite like the way it leaves the listener hanging at the end.

okay lets do this

clearwater-

personally I think this is a solid opening track, the production is pristine and I enjoy the warm tones a lot.  It's an introduction, there isn't a ton of progression but it doesnt need it. 

left behind quick-

smooth as fuck. feels very professional. Definitely one of the stronger tracks on the album, the instrumentation is great across the board, and the snaps don't feel corny, a major accomplishment.

Ytho?

is uranus the artist formerly known as emoticonman? It sounds a lot like the voice that opened the previous comp, "Total Troll." The vocals are slightly less impish and the soundscapes are far less amateurish than that previous offering. A bit too long IMO but enjoyable nonetheless.

trials and tribs

another impressively professional track. Vox aren't up to the same standard as the lush guitar work but it's not a big deal. Very good track.

constance

you guys continue to impress me! I was groovin to this in my car while ddriving in the rain. Its an accomplishment how you're able to keep such a chilled, long instrumental track moving along.

out

this one feels like a bit of a put on. the guitars are more than a little buttrock and the vox feel sarcastic. the sound is good though!

jitter

I like the vocals! the sound is tight, again, everyone really has a handle on production as far as I'm concerned. Compositionally speaking, this didn't do much for me.

gone are the days

nice bassline, reminds me of that less i know the better tame impala track that was my summer jam 2015. Vocals aren't doing it for me though and the song doesn't do a whole lot for me.

Wow so experimental! The first minute or so is just annoying wearing headphones. I do like that you were taking risks, that's always good. But this song is far too long for what it offers and I can't see myself revisiting it outside of this mixtape.

How can you be cool?

lets hop in that time machine boys and girls! The groove is catchy, very drive-able. The guitar riff that comes in midway is very nice. I wish the vocals came in sooner, they really fill out the song. As is, it could probably stand to be a couple minutes shorter. The song feels empty until the vocals come in, could def use some synth or something. 

Debris Gems

Another more experimental track. I sorta like this one! it doesn't build to anything really but the sounds it provides are nice. The ending seems a bit pointless but that's just my opinion.

Inside Your Mind

This is my track. It feels decidedly out of place on this compilation I think, the messy analog sound doesn't mesh too well with the pristine crystal palace vibe of the first few tracks. I do enjoy it though listening back I would definitely mix some of the peripheral voices lower. If it weren't such a poor representation of the sound of the mixtape I would consider it a good opener. 

honey cake

The best track is hiding in the back end of the compilation it seems. Great vocals, very moving instrumentation. This is the one track on the album that really brought some genuine emotion out in me. Great work.

Shallowest Breathing

A suitable ending to the compilation. The vocals are servicable enough but the song progresses very nicely and the whistling really works.

Great job everyone. What it's lacking in goofy charm ( a la Total Troll) it makes up for with its superior songs and production values. 

I'll try to do a couple every day. It's taking multiple listens to find something to say and I'm working through it. Some great moments. Mortigi Tempo has some music makers with very good ears!

Clearwater

Feels like a great opener actually. This is lovely. I like the voices and other sounds that come in and around the main instrument. I feel like you could use those sounds behind a longer version of that song  to create a larger form, give it a structure that would last longer. I wish the ending went on :) That ending idea was a new idea and could have been a new song but I could do with more of that. Like a 10 minute track. It was very calming.

Left Behind Quick

Production is great on this. Sounds amazing. It could probably do with less synthesized beats. The more natural sounding percussion is great. This is a headphone opinion though and I didn’t mind the synthesized beat on speakers. The guitar playing is super crisp. The guitar that opens reminds me a bit of King Krule but he’s a little more liberal with his timing. I think the opening needs that a bit. Some rhythmic sway would help the opening. The rest of the song sounds great and it’s nice and groovy. Not crazy about the humming.

Ytho?

This is cool. Reminds me of Tirzah’s “Make it up”. Pretty new and forward looking. Also, great production. Man or woman singing? Synth noises come together well. All of them. It might build a little slowly though and in general I think it’s a little too long but it might just be the way the song slowly starts. “Why don’t you need the same as I” isn’t a great lyrical choice for the chorus. It’s really just the “as I” that bothers me.

Trials & Tribulations

Whoa. When the voices come in it all makes sense. That’s great. You’ve done a great job layering things and more and more comes in throughout. I would play with taking things out to create sections that breathe a little. There’s always some little detail going on in this song which is great for close listening but you can create some ear catching moments with massive or sudden changes/shifts/additions/subtractions in instrumentation.

Constance

This is me. :)

Ytho?

is uranus the artist formerly known as emoticonman? It sounds a lot like the voice that opened the previous comp, "Total Troll."

I've re-listened to the song in question and I really can't hear the similarity, but then I guess I'm more familiar with my own voice. The singing on that song is considerably deeper than mine, there'd certainly be no mistaking him for a woman. The backing is very different as well for that matter. The drums appear to be sampled, whereas mine are recorded and programmed individually. I use far fewer samples in general by the sounds of it. Also, the synth sounds that he uses seem to have quite a warm analogue feel to them, whereas mine are more cold and digital sounding.

Man or woman singing? It might build a little slowly though and in general I think it’s a little too long but it might just be the way the song slowly starts. “Why don’t you need the same as I” isn’t a great lyrical choice for the chorus. It’s really just the “as I” that bothers me.

:lol:

I am a man :)

The song is meant as an opener, hence the slow build. I think it should have opened the compilation to be honest, would have been a better choice in my opinion. It certainly doesn't feel like a track 3, but that's how it goes with comp's. No hard feelings towards ihggy-GP though, he did a good job putting this thing together.

I did try 'as I do' as it happens, but it just didn't scan.

very pleasant. i like how there's this melody embedded in all the water drop-y sounds that's sort of difficult to get ahold of. that aspect of it and the little voice sample that acts as an accompanying chord definitely makes me think of burial. could probably stand to be longer. i don't think i've ever seen you submit a long track so i'm curious if you have any?

appreciate how the parts compile over the course of the song so the details of any particular section never tread over the same ground. the background percussion makes me think of amok. all good, nice voice.

the little off kilter hi hat beat throughout the whole thing and the detuneing synth parts when you sing 'why don't you need the same as i' are my favorite landmarks. very good, unique singing voice. i thought there was some weird chord progression stuff going on but as i skim through it a second time i can't seem to find it. feels a little unsettled?

04. Trials & Tribulations (Psych Version) - Warganization

i thought you guys were a rock band?? my memory sucks apparently. the sampled guitar bits are used pretty cleverly, probably my favorite part of this. good beats. and the little flute-y synth with tons of delay that bleeps in and out every so often. chord progression and melody kind of makes me think of a deftones 'soft song'.

06. Constance - George Woskob

this is the sort of track i'd have to listen to like 20 or 30 times to have any idea if there's anything i'd change about it. pretty old school IDM, i'm glad there's someone on MT still attempting that type of song structure. definitely enjoying this. were you the one that did salt story (too lazy to go digging for it)? if so kudos on branching out. if not, oops, but yah this easy to get lost in. might be my favorite on this mix.

05. Out - noobjens007

not a big fan of the iron maiden two lead guitars harmony thing at the start and end. i mean i'm not the best judge of whether this works because i hate it even in established bands like that so take what you can from that i guess. the bulk of the song with the goth rock vibe is good though. i think it'd work a little better with things sounding 'further away' if that makes any sense.

07. Jitter - Disappear Dunbar

best song obv

this bass line is super tasty. funky song. if i had to guess which of these songs was ihggy's submission (did you even submit?) i would guess this one, though i don't actually know why cos it sounds nothing like the last song i heard from you. kind of a shame it's so short, it ends as soon as i start grooving out to it.

09. #001 - Minotawr

TRUMPEEEEEETS :lol:

i think it takes a bit too long to develop, but if you wait long enough it pays off. it makes me think of autechre's 'confield', specifically the first track. right after the timing glitch around 3:00 (right before 'trumpets') would've been a good place to up the ante a bit. very interesting and playful, just think it could do with some more ups and downs.

picked bass line is super catchy but i think it's the sporadic guitar interjections that make the track and keep me from getting bored. pretty subtle actually. i dunno why but this isn't at all the kind of music i associate you with? pixies meets trent reznor? something like that.

i'm not really sure what to say about this one tbh. did you record a penguin for this track?

pretty cool soundscaping, can't say i'm too drawn in by the tune it's based around though and it's awfully short. would love to hear this sort of production applied to a more involved song structure.

you have a great voice. those fucked up guitar chords in the verses are weirdly soothing somehow. love the instrumentation too. another song i wish went on longer.

as catchy as always. didn't you get a band together? i'd love to hear you guys do a recording of this together (sounds like electronic drums, correct me if i'm wrong.) melody is pretty heartwrenching.

yeah nothing i didn't like, lots of stuff i liked a lot. sequencing makes sense to me given the mix of songs that was submitted, with a pretty noticeable contrast between the A side and the B side.

warganization & links are me
i submitted the second one when there was believed to be a shortage in submissions & i heard folk were submitting a second song... i guess ihggy either forgot they were both mine or was just too partial to the 2nd to drop it

a man can dream

in any case, yes i think it's a good idea for everyone to provide their links (no pun intended  :icon_roll )

really liked a good amount of stuff on this comp, surprising jump in quality from the last comp i'd picked up here, recording/production-wise, good stuff