MysticOwl6

HTTT is SO underrated

I am so glad to see this topic. I know that there are  very different opinions on what albums by Radiohead are better and that's cool but I must admit that it really bugged me how many people (online and in discussion in the real world) that put HTTT so low on their list.

In my opinion, HTTT is kind of a culmination of all Radiohead albums prior to it. You had everything from guitar driven songs to the more electronic things they have done and everything in the middle.

When I first listened to it I fell in love immediately which is rare for me when it comes to a new album. The only song that didn't catch me was Scatterbrain and a few years ago I had one of those "I suddenly love a song I didn't care for before, what the hell was wrong with me"? moments so now the whole album is gold to me. I DO wish that The Gloaming had the version they do live with Colin's awesome bass line but other than that I think its perfect. I like the fact that it's not overproduced as I think it worked for In Rainbows but would drastically change this album.

I usually put HTTT right under Kid A/Amnesiac but sometimes In Rainbows will give it a run for it's money sometimes. And I must say it's also one of the rare times that the single from one of their albums ends up being the best song. I can honestly say that I think There There is one of their best songs ever written. The atmosphere that comes along with it and that it creates is just beautiful. It's hard to explain but it's similar to how Pyramid Song makes me feel. It transports you to a place and a particular feeling and I think it was recorded perfectly. It has an almost fog and dissonance to it, that foggy feeling . . . The drums that carry the song the entire time, Thom's haunting voice and one of my favorites guitar solos ever. I think the video for it (walking at night and in the woods with the moon shining down) described the feeling pretty great.

I could go on forever about some of my favorite songs by them on this album like the chaos of Myxomatosis, the dark almost gothic feel of We Suck Young Blood and The Gloaming and everything in between but I think you get the idea. I'm just so happy to see many who feel similar! I'm not sure if there is any Nine Inch Nail fans here but HTTT reminds me the reaction to the NIN album The Fragile, which I think is one of their best works ever, only second to the Downward Spiral yet the band and critics look at it as a so so album which I just think is insane.

I am so glad to see this topic. I know that there are  very different opinions on what albums by Radiohead are better and that's cool but I must admit that it really bugged me how many people (online and in discussion in the real world) that put HTTT so low on their list.

In my opinion, HTTT is kind of a culmination of all Radiohead albums prior to it. You had everything from guitar driven songs to the more electronic things they have done and everything in the middle.

When I first listened to it I fell in love immediately which is rare for me when it comes to a new album. The only song that didn't catch me was Scatterbrain and a few years ago I had one of those "I suddenly love a song I didn't care for before, what the hell was wrong with me"? moments so now the whole album is gold to me. I DO wish that The Gloaming had the version they do live with Colin's awesome bass line but other than that I think its perfect. I like the fact that it's not overproduced as I think it worked for In Rainbows but would drastically change this album.

I usually put HTTT right under Kid A/Amnesiac but sometimes In Rainbows will give it a run for it's money sometimes. And I must say it's also one of the rare times that the single from one of their albums ends up being the best song. I can honestly say that I think There There is one of their best songs ever written. The atmosphere that comes along with it and that it creates is just beautiful. It's hard to explain but it's similar to how Pyramid Song makes me feel. It transports you to a place and a particular feeling and I think it was recorded perfectly. It has an almost fog and dissonance to it, that foggy feeling . . . The drums that carry the song the entire time, Thom's haunting voice and one of my favorites guitar solos ever. I think the video for it (walking at night and in the woods with the moon shining down) described the feeling pretty great.

I could go on forever about some of my favorite songs by them on this album like the chaos of Myxomatosis, the dark almost gothic feel of We Suck Young Blood and The Gloaming and everything in between but I think you get the idea. I'm just so happy to see many who feel similar! I'm not sure if there is any Nine Inch Nail fans here but HTTT reminds me the reaction to the NIN album The Fragile, which I think is one of their best works ever, only second to the Downward Spiral yet the band and critics look at it as a so so album which I just think is insane.

I thought the Fragile was overall pretty well received? Am I wrong?

Love your posts.

I've always adored this record.  I love the angsty, political fieriness of it and it just brings back a lot of memories (both good and bad, it was 2003 aka the reign of right wing lunacy).  IMO, a lot of their finest songs are on it, such as 2+2=5, Backdrifts, Go to Sleep, Where I End and You Begin, The Gloaming, There There, A Punch Up at a Wedding, Myxomatosis, and A Wolf at the Door.  Honestly, We Suck Young Blood never did much for me, but I appreciate it a bit more these days (love the sudden time signature change at 3 minutes).   I mean these are pretty goddamned excellent tunes.  

Considering what's going on in the UK with the massive conservative victory a la David Cameron and Yorke's recent breakup, I am curious as to what the tone of the next album will sound like, perhaps something along the lines of HTTT, who knows?  I am excited.  Glad there is some major love for this album here and I feel I should go re-listen to it now.  That is all. 

I like HTTT. I didn't like it at first, but when I got it on vinyl I understood HOW amazing it is.

The only track I don't really like is We suck young blood, but that song is still pretty good at times. It's a very clever record, and it has some of my all time favourite RH songs on it

I like HTTT. I didn't like it at first, but when I got it on vinyl I understood HOW amazing it is.

The only track I don't really like is We suck young blood, but that song is still pretty good at times. It's a very clever record, and it has some of my all time favourite RH songs on it

http://www.radiohead.com/Archive/Site9/opening.html

open in new window and press F11