MysticOwl6

HTTT is SO underrated

oh duh :rolleyes:

I like that one although I prefer the kid a version.

yeah I prefer the kid a version too. that's why I didn't really care for it as I preferred the kid a one. do they ever play the amnesiac version live or just the kid a version?

HTTT >>>>> The Bends

The Bends sounds like their most dated album to me. I dunno why, but even Pablo Honey sounds less dated. It's just that the album just feels like a regular rock album. Sure it's got classics like Just or My Iron Lung, but overall it just sounds like a "normal album" for the time. Pablo Honey sounds like grunge, almost. Like How Do You? almost sounds like a Nirvana or Pearl Jam song. I dunno, I guess I prefer that to The Bends' more polished and rock sound.

sounds pretty contradictory if pablo honey reminds you of nirvana/pearl jam, and then is somehow not more way more dated than the bends.  

either way, i disagree.  the bends is just lightyears ahead of ph in songwriting and experimentation.  it has a bit of a 90s guitar rock stigma to it, but not nearly to the extent that ph does.  

HTTT >>>>> The Bends

The Bends sounds like their most dated album to me. I dunno why, but even Pablo Honey sounds less dated. It's just that the album just feels like a regular rock album. Sure it's got classics like Just or My Iron Lung, but overall it just sounds like a "normal album" for the time. Pablo Honey sounds like grunge, almost. Like How Do You? almost sounds like a Nirvana or Pearl Jam song. I dunno, I guess I prefer that to The Bends' more polished and rock sound.

I also can't get into Amnesiac for whatever reason. It's just too...out there. I mean songs like Packt, I Might Be Wrong, Knives Out and D&C are great top-tier Radiohead, but the album has songs like You And Whose Army?, Life in a Glasshouse, Hunting Bears and the title track. The whole album just feels like it's missing something. I dunno. Maybe I should give it another try.

Whereas I love You and Whose Army? and Life in a Glasshouse is completely awesome. I definitely think you should give it another shot!

sounds pretty contradictory if pablo honey reminds you of nirvana/pearl jam, and then is somehow not more way more dated than the bends.  

either way, i disagree.  the bends is just lightyears ahead of ph in songwriting and experimentation.  it has a bit of a 90s guitar rock stigma to it, but not nearly to the extent that ph does.

yeah I phrased that wrong. I kinda meant that I like the sound on PH better which I just lumped with the bends being dated. I do that a lot, sorry. The bends sounds like the first radiohead album that sounds somewhat like the following ones. I didn't think they found their way completely until OKC, though.

plus the bends has street spirit

good point. the bends does get some points for that

yeah, I'll probably give Amnesiac another try. maybe it just has to grow on me which it hasn't yet

When I was in high school and HTTT had just come out, I saw a snippet of There There on MTV or something. I was going through a higher energy, punk phase, and the only other Radiohead song I had heard was Creep. I turned off There There because it was too slow and boring for me. I then told someone that I wasn't into Radiohead's new stuff, I liked their old stuff more.

I said that to another human being. When comparing Creep to There There. Sometimes I want to go back and slap myself.

i preferred the bends to kid a at one time. i was coming out of being a huge metalhead so i guess it makes sense. the bends is a good album and all, just not really something i care for stylistically as much these days. certainly less ambitious than they became.

i preferred the bends to kid a at one time. i was coming out of being a huge metalhead so i guess it makes sense. the bends is a good album and all, just not really something i care for stylistically as much these days. certainly less ambitious than they became.

I've had periods where I preferred the Bends and others where I preferred Kid A. I think overall I'd choose Kid A over the Bends though it just depends on my mood

HTTT had more cultural context than any of their other albums. I mean sure, OKC was a zeitgeist-clit-licker for its time, but at that point the fear was the machines taking over the world. Stop and think about that for a minute, and you'll see why they backed the wrong horse. HTTT was the good days, the bad days, the us and them days. Granted it's about 4 tracks too long, but still. It'll stand the test of time , critically speaking, far longer than everything they've put out since the last bar of reckoner. 

I feel like HTTT is a tad underproduced. For instance the distorted guitars on the "paying attention" part of 2+2=5 don't feel nearly as impactful as the loud guitars on Paranoid Android. Or like how on "A Wolf at the door" the sounds all kind of run together and on the chorus you can barely hear the guitar.

Also the fact that a down and dirty blues song (Go To Sleep) is right next to the spacey and trippy "Where You End And I Begin" shows how the album is somewhat incoherent.

I feel like HTTT is a tad underproduced. For instance the distorted guitars on the "paying attention" part of 2+2=5 don't feel nearly as impactful as the loud guitars on Paranoid Android. Or like how on "A Wolf at the door" the sounds all kind of run together and on the chorus you can barely hear the guitar.

Also the fact that a down and dirty blues song (Go To Sleep) is right next to the spacey and trippy "Where You End And I Begin" shows how incoherent the album is.

well they only spent two weeks recording the album, shortest time compared to the others.

i have to agree with that, actually. the production seems like an afterthought. some would say that works in its favor. i dunno which side of that fence i stand on. it works, so i guess it doesn't matter what could have been.

well they only spent two weeks recording the album, shortest time compared to the others.

2 weeks was just the recording, then they spent much longer with the mixing and such though

Hail To The Thief is a pretty exceptional point in Radiohead's career actually. A lot of people see it as the band running on empty and throwing shit at the wall just to see what sticks, but I see it another way. It's the band at their most energetic and paranoid. The dark world flirted with from OK Computer to Amnesiac is now at the fore front in Hail To The Thief. A lot of that has to do with the Bush administration of course. But that results in something really feels immediate and urgent. In exploring this mood, I think Radiohead created something that is musically very moving.  I also think that HTTT has some of Thom Yorke's best lyrics.

yeah, when I go back to HTTT, i can sense that raw passion and anger, and it's really visceral.  it was obviously directed at the bush administration, but that kind of anger and helplessness at politics is pretty timeless.  

Whereas I love You and Whose Army? and Life in a Glasshouse is completely awesome. I definitely think you should give it another shot!

okay yeah I gave the album another try and I really like it now

it definitely grew on me

thoughts:

packt - good 8/10

pyramid song - probably the most beautiful radiohead song I've heard 9/10

pulk/pull - hell yeah. amazing song. never compare this masterpiece to fitter happier 10/10

you and whose army? - it's decent, but it takes forever to get going 6/10

I might be wrong - super cool song 10/10

knives out - nice jazzy tune 8/10

amnesiac/morning bell - sounds like the apocalypse. sorta like it but still prefer the kid a version 7/10

dollars and cents - still the best song on the album 10/10

hunting bears - why 2/10

like spinning plates - amazing 10/10

life in a glasshouse - would be perfect they got those annoying clarinets out 7/10

Listening to HTTT on the train this morning, one thing that really stood out is how well the transitions between tracks are handled. It's such a mixed bag that without those masterful transitions it wouldn't work nearly as well as it does.

okay yeah I gave the album another try and I really like it now

it definitely grew on me

thoughts:

packt - good 8/10

pyramid song - probably the most beautiful radiohead song I've heard 9/10

pulk/pull - hell yeah. amazing song. never compare this masterpiece to fitter happier 10/10

you and whose army? - it's decent, but it takes forever to get going 6/10

I might be wrong - super cool song 10/10

knives out - nice jazzy tune 8/10

amnesiac/morning bell - sounds like the apocalypse. sorta like it but still prefer the kid a version 7/10

dollars and cents - still the best song on the album 10/10

hunting bears - why 2/10

like spinning plates - amazing 10/10

life in a glasshouse - would be perfect they got those annoying clarinets out 7/10

promising update, but I hope one day you can realize what a subtle masterpiece hunting bears is ^_^ amnesiac has always been my favorite from first listen but only in the past couple years have I come to fully appreciate hunting bears

the fact that you like pulk gives me hope!