Sign in to follow this  
mooks

metroid primes

Just finished Metroid Prime for the first time since it came out.  The atmosphere, world building, music and story were all top notch.  Really love the minimalist approach of basically discovering the story for yourself, even if scanning is a bit repetitive.  A bare bones story is given a bit more heft revealed this way, and it increases the sense of isolation you feel as Samus.  It's just you out there.  Game is a lot of fun to play, especially going through each stage the first time.  The first time you enter the Magmoor Caverns, the first time you hear that theme, is a special moment.  

That said, going back across the stages is a bit irritating after a while.  Having some rooms be restocked with more of the same boring villains gets tiresome, especially when the puzzle solving requires multiple visits with different tools.  God save you if you have to pass a room with platforming AND Chozo ghosts so you HAVE to fight them every time.  What an irritating enemy.  I mean, this game is built on world immersion and puzzle solving.  The combat leaves a bit to be desired.  While at the same time it's annoying to fight these guys, it's also unbelievably easy.  I died once the whole time through (against the Omega Pirate.  Wasted my missiles!)  It's an odd combination - lots of easy battles that seem to take forever.  The bosses were really, really simple.  Basically three or four moves you learn how to avoid almost immediately, finding the one weakness, then just repeat....and repeat.  During the Meta Ridley battle I had to pause, use the bathroom, check Twitter, and come back to it.  Not exactly engaging.  And holy shit, the very last battle, Metroid Prime, literally had one move.  And it took FOREVER to kill it!  Despite being in absolutely zero danger of dying the whole battle, it took me like 20 minutes to kill the dang thing.  So, combat was average at best, a determinable 5.  

The rest, however, is just about 10's across the board.  Control of Samus is excellent (esp considering the time period and the fact that since I was playing the Wii U emulated version I had to use the Wii Mote, which is the worst) and the game is fun to run around and jump in.  All of your tools and abilities are pretty cool (Flamethrower is the obvious exception.  Useless!)  That Phendrana Drifts theme is awesome.  

Now on to Echoes!

To be fair this is a game involving a ball.

I played 70% through this game recently for the first time for real and while I couldn't stand it as an impatient 13 year old, I absolutely loved it now. It holds up great too because the expansion of a tried and tested genre into a 3D world is seamless but also not unnecessary. Sometimes I feel like I will never really enjoy 3D Zelda nearly as much as 2D Zelda, but for some reason Prime just makes sense to me. Though I agree the backtracking gets tedious despite being a fundamental part of this type of game. 

Oddly I never felt the urge to play the others, but I do have all 3 on Wii U after that crazy sale.

The first Prime is by far my favorite of the trilogy.  Perfectly blends the puzzles, world building, and narrative.   Kind of feel like going back to play it now. 

Yeah guys I loved this game.  It's just one faucet (combat) that is decidedly average.  And like I said, it's a small part of the overall game but it's hard not to notice when you are forced to fight the same enemies repeatedly while backtracking.  Everything else it's like straight 10s. It DOES perfectly blend puzzles, world building, and narrative.  It just has boring combat.  

I'm tired of talking about things I didn't like in a game I loved.

These games are all great, though the first is still the best. Been meaning to buy the trilogy on wii u, but it only works with the wiimote and nunchuck right?