Sign in to follow this  
Reluctant George

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

Is no one playing this? I'm about 20 hours in an I'm pretty certain it's one of the best RPGs I've ever played.

The visual style is nothing short of stunning, there has been talk of a visual downgrading compared to early 'gameplay' footage but it's irrelevant in my opinion - it's a beautiful game. Most of the quests I've finished thus far have been enjoyable and varied. It's difficult to describe but there's a great atmosphere to it, you feel a real presence when entering certain environments.

Y'all need to play it tbh.

Yeah you can definitely dig it as an action/adventure style. The combat is awesome 

The real greatness to the Witcher series is the character depth and development combined with the deeply-rooted sociohistorical/political aspects of the story. It's definitely one of the best RPG's/action series out there 

BTW, I'm about 5+ hours in and I'm absolutely loving it. I was a big fan of Witcher 2 as well 

yea they seem to have tried pretty hard to capture all the possible unexciting elements of fantasy. also the idea of an rpg with a set character is inherently unexciting to me. how are these roleplaying games tbh? (i haven't played them)

I always thought role playing game was an odd title anyway to be fair. Most games have you fill a role.

Anyway I've heard the text is super tough to read in this game

yeh genres are odd. roleplaying can be done in a lot of ways.and games are strange because they make you free in taking unfree routes. like games that have a main quest and freeroaming/sidequest kind of system, because you can suspend fate for as long as you like and that's usually the celebrated thing to do. but maybe it gives an urgency to roam free that you wouldnt have without a main quest! like trying to outrun it and it's pretty easy because it stays in the same place on the map forever but its gravity is continuously increasing. i wonder what the unfree side of mmorpg is. maybe grinding lol. 

Semantics aside, it's an extremely enjoyable and believable open world game and you really should play it if you enjoy games in general.

Dunno about the text being hard to read? I'm playing at 1080p, which i assume is what the consoles are playing at, and it's perfectly eligible.

I think I've kind of shot myself in the foot with the Gwent (card game) quests. I palmed off buying cards from the start and now the innkeep where you buy the first decent Northern Realms cards is dead or something IDK.. Kinda weird as people are still drinking and stuff but there's no fucking owner. Pretty well behaved peasants.

I always thought that too.  Hard to get into the cinematic style, and the story takes a little while to get into...but once I got about 4 hours into the game I was pretty hooked.  Just make sure you have subtitles on so you can quickly go through some parts.  

yea it was a pretty fun game.  i got the dlc that's basically France and it's alright but i think i got burnt out after completing every quest and getting every master armor thing and yada yada.  i should probably go back to it eventually.  

On the one hand you can tune out to this game and get picked up on the sub-game of thrones soap opera but its pretty weak outside of that. I like it more than skyrim than a bit and combat against humans was often pretty fun but the monster hunting aspects were a drag. And like skyrim/fallout it suffers from too epic a main quest to feel like caring about any particular sidequest, and all than errand running that the main quest requires is a bigger drag.

Skylark is you reaaaallly like scale and medieval sandbox rpgs you should check out mount and blade. The ps4 port is decent. It looks like morrowind but ey its 10 years old and 20 bucks.

get it its pretty decent and at times aesthetically stunning but it leaves you feeling empty inside in that sense its in the opposite end of heart-warming rpgs such as ff9 or ff8, its not that its soulless but we know that nowadays the more frigid a game the more appealing to the masses (i.e most fps)