Sign in to follow this  
And What A Wow

Cubase

i always remember it being clunky.. I use Logic which is better for looks, all round features and accessibility.  Pro Tools is the best for mixing, Ableton is better for improvisation / live sets / electronic stuff. My other favorite thing about Ableton is how you can route samples however you want in the drum rack. So basically within 1 drum rack you can eq / compress everything individually really easily without having to send things to individual sends. Although you can do that too. 

What kind of music do you make?

Ive been using logic and ableton.

Ableton is a lot of fun and I find plug ins etc.... to be a lot more diverse. It also seems to communicate between with my midi controllers. as stated you can customize your drunk rack way easier.

I had my laptop stolen with pretty much everything on it and no back up. Only thing I had sitting around was logic.

So for the past two weeks I have been working with that. I find it far more accessible when composing and some of the sounds seem a lot richer. I will probably stick with logic for now but will start to explore ableton again soon. I think logic is good for just getting to grips with a DAW, throwing down some demos and just becoming familiar with contructing music. I am having a blast but know I would like to take whatever I create on Logic and move to ableton and experiement with the music there

Going to try the Ableton free trial.

This is probably a very stupid question, but for some reason I can't find a clear answer on the net.

I want to record me playing guitar to my computer.

What equipment do I need for that? What type of cable, and do I need some kind of box in between the cable and my laptop for better quality?

they make cheapo little USB interfaces that just have one input for instrument cable, if you don';t want to spend like $100+ on an interface. BUT an interface like the one tristan posted will let you do a lot more (multiple inputs at once, plug in mics, better quality inputs, monitoring options).

also for guitar recording, you can pirate a plugin like Guitar Rig pretty easily and that gives you a lot of intuitive options for making direct-input guitar recordings sound better.

I bought the Focusrite. Do I just need to plug the Focusrite into the laptop using a USB cable, and then plug the guitar into the Focusrite? 

Or am I missing some kind of cable?

did the focusrite not come with the cable? but yeah it should come with a usb or thunderbolt connection.. 

I bought the Focusrite. Do I just need to plug the Focusrite into the laptop using a USB cable, and then plug the guitar into the Focusrite?

Or am I missing some kind of cable?

that should be all the plugging you need!