Sign in to follow this  
Hippopothomas J

Thomas J - Sayang (New Album !!!)

yeah that's kind of what it looked like to me, like maybe soundcloud is better-suited for single song releases and just getting stuff out to people quickly, also you have to pay a fee to get more 'album slots' which i'm assuming based on nothing that you don't have to do with band camp?

anyway the first track was cool, i kinda wish it went on longer after the guitar comes in though. oblivion im pretty sure i've heard before and already liked a lot. i stopped there cos i had to study but ill listen to the rest soon.

Cheers brah, yeah I was a little worried about Six Eight being too *climaxy*, especially as the demo didn't have any guitar at all. Oblivion's been kicking around for a while and might be the oldest song on the album, I've made a few different versions of it over the last couple years but I realised that I only really felt happy with it as a live acoustic song

Uhhhh I died of happiness when postcard culminated in that guitar smash after such an awesome driving song and buildup and stuff I only wished that the end bit lasted longer however it just made me play the song over again so maybe it was just right

ok i'm going to actually listen to this now. i'll write down any thoughts i think are worth sharing

six eight - i really like this song. i said it already, but i think it would get even better if the song continued on after you start turning up the reverb on the vocals and the guitar or mandolin or whatever comes in, like bring the melody back for at least one repetition. it works like this too as sort of a passing thought, but that's what i'd do.

oblivion - nice song with a memorable melody. the tense, dissonant chord thrown in is a nice touch.

i got rain - 'dismiss the lord and you will end up bored again' made me laugh. lyrics seem to be important here.. it'll probably take multiple listens to get my head around this one cos i usually don't key in on lyrics very quickly. (just after i wrote that i noticed the epic as fuck chorus. i dunno how you keep coming up with all these great bluesy melodies. if i get 3 melodies nailed down in a year i feel pretty satisfied with myself.)

tortoise - my first thought is that i wish a cheesy little drum machine would came in after the first like eight measures or so.

kitchen sink - my favorite so far, in particular because of the chorus. i think my favorites songs of yours are all the dark or creepy ones. i like the shoegazey guitar overdubs towards the end, although like six eight i wish the more thickly arranged part of the song was a larger part of the song.

goddamn - great chord progression. what i'm catching of the lyrics is good too. this and the last song are definitely getting listened to again periodically.

at the circus - with how much you like writing catchy vocal melodies, i'm surprised you didn't expand on this.

microwave - wish this kept going, definitely a favorite. good way to end the album.

in general, pretty easily my favorite album of yours (that i've heard, pretty sure i missed some). i think your songs are often good enough to be longer than you make them, but on the other hand it makes it easy to tackle a bunch of them at once. i also think there could be thicker arrangements on almost every song, there's definitely room for them. but then i beat songs to death for years before they're finished and as a result i haven't written very many. this approach seems to be working for you just fine so if any of my suggestions don't sit well with you just ignore them - i only have my own methods as a reference. it'd still be nice to someday hear an elliott smith-style 'one man band' full version of at least one of your songs, though. that's my personal request to you as an audience member.

Thanks for listening guys! It's funny, I kinda knew that Rose would like Postcard and that Doc would like Kitchen Sink :3

Funny you mention about At The Circus, it started out with lyrics that had a similar melody to the lead guitar, but found them to be a bit of a mouthful and fit awkwardly so swapped it out and made it an instrumental.

I guess the main takeback from your comments is that I should allow myself more space for instrumentation. With this album especially I tended to arrange it as I was recording, so sometimes found I only had a few bars space where I could put instrumentation. I actually cut the vocals short on Kitchen Sink to allow the shoegazey bit to take the spotlight

i wish the more thickly arranged part of the song was a larger part of the song.

i think your songs are often good enough to be longer than you make them, but on the other hand it makes it easy to tackle a bunch of them at once. i also think there could be thicker arrangements on almost every song, there's definitely room for them.

I guess the main takeback from your comments is that I should allow myself more space for instrumentation. With this album especially I tended to arrange it as I was recording, so sometimes found I only had a few bars space where I could put instrumentation. I actually cut the vocals short on Kitchen Sink to allow the shoegazey bit to take the spotlight

yeah basically all this is valid but it definitely all works as is just like a wishlist for next time as it were :]

I mean if ever there was a flattering criticism it's "why isn't there more?"

:>

Yeah I mean this album is *done* so even if everyone said they hated it and had like a million things they'd like me to change it wouldn't mean I'd change the album, although I would probably cry, but comments and suggestions and criticisms and shit stick in my head for next time. Recording this album was a totes different experience from the other ones for a couple of reasons. The biggest is that since I couldn't find my FLStudio crack, I decided to record the whole thing organically (something I've always wanted to do but always end up chickening out of). The second thing is that writing all the songs took a lot longer. I mean I didn't write many of these while I was working on the album, they were basically songs I'd had kicking around and decided to put together into an album, although I think thematically they kind of naturally work together and have their own narrative because I guess they reflect my life over the past 2-3 years, which has been kinda hectic and full of change I guess.

Anyway thanks again everyone for all your comments and more importantly thanks for listening <3

You're taking some risks here, and I'm glad you released something rather than nothing when you didn't have FL this time. I think you took much of a risk with 'Postcard'. It still made me smile, in a laughing, smh kind of way. I'll have to see if I still find the humor in it on repeated listenings. You really don't give a shit if you're hamming it up on that one. I like how it contrasts with 'Goddamn'--which is my favorite here so far. You still take a risk on the vocals, pushing them in kind of the same way you pushed that sax in 'Ill', y'know, not the usual way you'd sing, and I love it. The rest of the vocals in the song take a precision and restraint and it's beautiful.

I'm not sure what I think overall. Most bizarre opener I've heard from you. Perfect the way the reverb kicks in. I like the second half of the album, from 'Kitchen Sink' on, better. I should post a track-by-track later on.

You're taking some risks here, and I'm glad you released something rather than nothing when you didn't have FL this time. I think you took much of a risk with 'Postcard'. It still made me smile, in a laughing, smh kind of way. I'll have to see if I still find the humor in it on repeated listenings. You really don't give a shit if you're hamming it up on that one. I like how it contrasts with 'Goddamn'--which is my favorite here so far. You still take a risk on the vocals, pushing them in kind of the same way you pushed that sax in 'Ill', y'know, not the usual way you'd sing, and I love it. The rest of the vocals in the song take a precision and restraint and it's beautiful.

I'm not sure what I think overall. Most bizarre opener I've heard from you. Perfect the way the reverb kicks in. I like the second half of the album, from 'Kitchen Sink' on, better. I should post a track-by-track later on.

edit - I just noticed 'At the Circus' on second listen and its infectious. It is something of a tease, but I can understand the point of not letting the ideas wear out their welcome. It's a great, weird, continuous build from start to finish. Like the guitar slight echo slight reverb tone, and that out of scale note it hits. 

risks? seriously? 90% this album is super straightforward.

you are a good songwriter, tj, but i gotta be honest i can't enjoy the vocals. i get no feeling out of them. i can't connect.

like a couple other people said, these songs would sound better with more layers. while they are well structured and interesting enough melodically, i don't find enough variation in tge guitar playing to keep my interest locked. my favorite parts were all of the ones where another instrument was added.

these tracks are well recorded. they sound live like i'm hearing them at a bar or whatever. that's good.

edit - I just noticed 'At the Circus' on second listen and its infectious. It is something of a tease, but I can understand the point of not letting the ideas wear out their welcome. It's a great, weird, continuous build from start to finish. Like the guitar slight echo slight reverb tone, and that out of scale note it hits. 

Thanks for the words, man. It's been yonks since I recorded this so it's not particularly fresh in my memory but I was really happy with Six Eight as an opener, I felt it set the tone of the album pretty well. It's weird thinking about Postcard because at the time it was like, an 'essential' song for me but to be honest since finishing the album I've sort of forgotten about it. I had the hardest time recording it because I couldn't get any energy across without the vocals and guitar being performed together, which made mixing way harder for obvious reasons.

risks? seriously? 90% this album is super straightforward.

you are a good songwriter, tj, but i gotta be honest i can't enjoy the vocals. i get no feeling out of them. i can't connect.

like a couple other people said, these songs would sound better with more layers. while they are well structured and interesting enough melodically, i don't find enough variation in tge guitar playing to keep my interest locked. my favorite parts were all of the ones where another instrument was added.

these tracks are well recorded. they sound live like i'm hearing them at a bar or whatever. that's good.

I hear ya. Vocals are always super hard for me, especially in the flat where I recorded because on multiple occasions I had my next door neighbour bang on the wall/yell at me, but even without that I have a hard time recording vocals without playing guitar at the same time. As for arrangements, basically I get impatient with trying to flesh out arrangements. Some songs started out with a lot more but they were too messy so I stripped them all back, like When You Were Getting Onto A Bus and Postcard, where songs like Kitchen Sink ended up having like 20 tracks