box

Thom Yorke - Tomorrow's Modern Boxes

wow i was thinking harrowdown hill was the eraser's closing track for some reason LOL. that's ok, cymbal rush is a masterpiece too. still a shame that videotape wasn't as good as it should've been. 

1. a wolf at the door (maybe the most underrated radiohead song ever? what do y'all think?)

2. motion picture soundtrack

3. life in a glass house

4. separator

5. street spirit

6. blow out

7. amok

8. the tourist

9. videotape

10. cymbal rush

haven't listened to nose grows some enough yet.

i feel like wolf at the door is fairly well respected, if not talked about a lot, so i dunno whether i'd say it's particularly underrated. and i say that as someone who has it ranked in his top 5 radiohead songs

i would absolutely love to see Thom explore that side of his vocal range to a greater extent

i think awatd is a hard song to perform.

i love it and it appears to be where my taste in radiohead overlaps with other people's, like if i don't really like the songs on someone's list, well there's awatd and we're bros.

there's this one performance of There There where at the end thom yells 'Coo Coo Coo!!!' right into the mike. it must be from one of the 2002 iberian shows, but i can't find it. i might have it somewhere. but it is my favorite oat TT.

and somewhere in that old napster folder is the version of Nude that I love so much.

i should look for those.

They should get Kendrick Lamar to do the verses for AWATD when they play live.

I don't have anything in particular for or against Lamar, but fuck that man, it's one of Thoms best vocal performances

I don't have anything in particular for or against Lamar, but fuck that man, it's one of Thoms best vocal performances

Well yeah I don't actually think that Radiohead should or would do that, I just thought the idea of it was funny

Gave this a listen this morning, a bit underwhelmed. Guess Again and Pink Section are nice instrumentally, but the album sounds slightly unrefined for a guy who's been making music for near 30 years. Interference and Truth Ray sound like unfinished sketches, Brain in a Bottle and Nose Grow Some have great instrumental sections but I found the lacklustre vocals to work against the tracks. The stand-outs are Mother Lode, beat-wise is quite choppy but texturally is by far the best constructed song on here, and There Is No Ice which I enjoyed for its acid house inspired bass/drum patterns.

Gave this a listen this morning, a bit underwhelmed. Guess Again and Pink Section are nice instrumentally, but the album sounds slightly unrefined for a guy who's been making music for near 30 years. Interference and Truth Ray sound like unfinished sketches, Brain in a Bottle and Nose Grow Some have great instrumental sections but I found the lacklustre vocals to work against the tracks. The stand-outs are Mother Lode, beat-wise is quite choppy but texturally is by far the best constructed song on here, and There Is No Ice which I enjoyed for its acid house inspired bass/drum patterns.

i'm not gonna sit here and try to convince you that your opinion is wrong, but definitely listen to it at least a few more times - i wasn't particularly excited about it on the first listen either and i keep being more impressed by it with each listen.

from the basement > studio > 2006 live

was never totally convinced by the studio version but i appreciate what they were trying to do. 2006 live was a rush at the time but i always expected it to change quite a lot in the studio, mostly cos the build-up was kind of awkward.

i'm not gonna sit here and try to convince you that your opinion is wrong, but definitely listen to it at least a few more times - i wasn't particularly excited about it on the first listen either and i keep being more impressed by it with each listen.

Word, although I was still flipping my shit by the end of the first listen mostly because of Nose Grows Some, but this is up there with In Rainbows and Kid A in terms of cohesion. I'm not sure how I rank it against Radiohead albums but I definitely think it's the best out of Thom's non-Radiohead releases and I really dig The Eraser and Amok.

just listened to in rainbows and videotape sounded great, so I guess I take back what I said. would love to hear a studio version of the "live version" but oh well. both are great.

i find the critics' scores for in rainbows to be a bit embarrassing now. it's a 10/10 for sure

probably. and i guess they didn't play it at all on the 2012 tour, which is a bummer

I thought they played it at one of the european shows, but I dunno.