Sign in to follow this  
ihggy-GP

funniest Radiohead song?

what, in your opinion is the "funniest" RH tune? what's the one which makes you LOL the most?

i think that a lot of the humour in their songs goes over most peoples' heads because is so dark and brainy (typical of all British comedy), it barely qualifies as comedy in countries like Ireland and the USA.

that is why audiences here (in USA) found "Wolf at The Door" so shockingly hilarious when it was first released-- it was the first one that included more American-style slapstick imagery (e.g. "Flan in the face", "With My X-Ray Eyes I Strip You Naked", etc). and since then they have really developed a more american style of comedy in their lyrics (perhaps in a bid to finally make it big in the US again?... something they've wanted to do since "Creep").

but i think if you look further back in there catalogue that they have plenty of knee slappers. "Fitter Happier" for example, is actually quite funny (albeit in a very sophisticated "meta" way).

what do you guys think?

i don't knwo wher you come from but here in the US, most people only know "Creep". obviously they have had other hits on the alternative charts and are well-known to music nerd types, but as far as the mainstream goes, that is by far their biggest tune.

check the charts if you don't believe me https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radiohead_discography#Singles

and #2 in the Alt Chart in '92 was a big deal. their only other top 10 single was "Nude" in 2008, which means it only sold like 10k copies. that's all it takes to get on the charts nowadays.

i agree with Master Shortpants that We Suck Young Blood is a very funny song, but it is definitely more "darkly comedic" that goes over most americans' heads. Master Shortpants, i'm guessing you're a Brit? (maybe Canadian?)

yeh i mean, looking through they're catalogue, they have definitely had a pretty sophisticated sense of humour sence the beginning. songs like "Pop Is Dead" can be LOL funny when you're in on the gag. and "Anyone Can Play Guitar" is a very funny song title, but again it's more of that self-deprecating humour that the Brits are known for... it took me many years to realize that these songs were not completely serious.

i think it's because, even though they always had that razor-sharp sense of humour, that they just took it in darker, more serious directions on the later albums. i didn't really get into RH until Kid A came out and that is they're most serious album by far. so looking back through their back catalogue, i never really expected to find anything "funny." but now that i know what to look for, i see humour in much of their music!

I don't think I've ever laughed at a Radiohead song.

hmm. you are from sweden, and admittedly i am not overly familiar with the swedish comedic sensebility.

come to think of it, the only swedish comedian i can think of is the swedish chef, so maybe you swedes just like gibberish? in which case i would recommend this (funny) tune, the original version of "Reckoner" where the chorus thom scats some gibberish.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXq_Uo2yaU4

maybe also try a live version of "The National Anthem"?

Wow, stop posting at any time friendo

haha, just like a Brit. part of their comedic culture is being very mean and dismissive, even to their best friend. it's just a part of the culture! you can end pretty much any conversation by saying "cunt off, ya wanker!"