When will Radiohead be back?

Lonely Loser

• Replies 512
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's about four songs too long. Of the leftover ten, you have about 3 b-side quality releases (which, being RH, b-side quality ain't to shabby in its own right).

Don't get me wrong, a lot of HTTT "stuff" has transferred to live nicely, but....... come on. HTTT was/is seriously lacking, especially when juxtaposed with what came directly before and after.

2+2=5

there there

go to sleep

WIEAYB

the gloaming

Punchup

sit down. stand up.

um. actually I can't really draw ten I think would make a solid album......erm,

The other 7 are just awful (album version were talking here).

The Daily Mail, Staircase, Bangers and Mash, Butcher..... there are better b-sides from the last two albums than what has passed for "album worthy" on HTTT. And, hate to shit on your parade, but one of these "new songs" are going to reside in b-side world - referencing Present Tense, Identikit, Ful Stop, Cut a Hole, Skirting on the Surface - I'll take any of those over Backdrifts and Myxmamastatosis.

I get the impression they threw that album together as a way to get out of their contractual obligations as quickly as possible. The album is rushed, unfocused, and choppy. I don't need to retread these tried and true talking points, but I am surprised when I find the random person who actually enjoys this album - enough to not admit its shit.

I appreciate the time and effort that clearly went into this post but such time and effort does not suddenly make you right. When I say I love the album it's because I do genuinely love the album and I wouldn't change it. The album displays an attitude I'd like to see more of from Radiohead, it's carefree and messy and not concerned with itself, and while I love albums like Kid A and In Rainbows which are perfectly crafted, there's something to be said for the punk ethos that HTTT has. It's an album that's perfectly imperfect, or as Pitchfork aptly described it, an anti-masterpiece. So yeah, it's messy, but for me at least, it's got 14 excellent tracks, it jumps between tones, genres and ideas like they were sinking lily pads. It's totally unique and I love it.

It's about four songs too long. Of the leftover ten, you have about 3 b-side quality releases (which, being RH, b-side quality ain't to shabby in its own right).

Don't get me wrong, a lot of HTTT "stuff" has transferred to live nicely, but....... come on. HTTT was/is seriously lacking, especially when juxtaposed with what came directly before and after.

2+2=5

there there

go to sleep

WIEAYB

the gloaming

Punchup

sit down. stand up.

um. actually I can't really draw ten I think would make a solid album......erm,

The other 7 are just awful (album version were talking here).

The Daily Mail, Staircase, Bangers and Mash, Butcher..... there are better b-sides from the last two albums than what has passed for "album worthy" on HTTT. And, hate to shit on your parade, but one of these "new songs" are going to reside in b-side world - referencing Present Tense, Identikit, Ful Stop, Cut a Hole, Skirting on the Surface - I'll take any of those over Backdrifts and Myxmamastatosis.

I get the impression they threw that album together as a way to get out of their contractual obligations as quickly as possible. The album is rushed, unfocused, and choppy. I don't need to retread these tried and true talking points, but I am surprised when I find the random person who actually enjoys this album - enough to not admit its shit.

I think you're talking about TKOL, ya douchecanoe.

it's a mess, but to say it's spectacularly bad is sort of nuts. most people share some version of the opinion that it could stand to be shorter, but no one can agree on what the unneeded tracks are which should say a lot. i guess it has a broader range in quality than most radiohead albums. really the extra two or three tracks (take your pick) could have been b-sides, but the best ones were put on the album instead so there aren't very many b-sides, if it helps to look at it like that instead... and it's not like there's an overarching atmosphere that suffers from having some extra fat, the extra tracks (name the ones you hate here) don't break up any flow, as thomas said it's neurotic to begin with. it has more A+ songs on it than tkol both as a simple count and as a percentage of the album (not to start knocking tkol). the production is kind of flat but it's far from being so bad that it ruins good songs.

you probably can accuse it of being just a collection of songs, compared to kid amnesiac or in rainbows. it was however a deliberate and direct response to all the hair-pulling in those sessions. plus it wasn't just like they slapped random songs together... they generated the material for hail to the thief in like 3 or 4 months of rehearsals i think? not from scratch, but you can tell they share a temperament.

my super-httt would be something like

2+2=5*

sit down stand up

sail to the moon*

backdrifts

go to sleep

where i end and you begin*

we suck young blood

there there*

lift

myxomatosis*

scatterbrain*

wolf at the door*

with starred tracks being classic songs and essential to the album, and non-starred tracks being varying degrees of good, at minimum good enough to fill the album out and maintain the flow i've come to associate with httt. that's not a lot of changes given how long the album is, but it already runs into problems. i love 2002 lift and was bummed it got left behind, but it competes with scatterbrain for the shoegazey spot and scatterbrain is one of my favorite songs on the album so i'm not swapping it out for anything under any circumstances. i'm not crazy about the gloaming, but it's better live and we know b-sides will never get played as much as the gloaming gets played live... not to mention i'm in the minority in not loving the gloaming. i will isn't one of my favorite songs but it's good for the pacing of the album, plus it'd be kind of wasted as a b-side cos it screams transition track. punchup is the one track besides the gloaming that still hasn't convinced me after all these years, but it's the only track of its kind on the album, it has a gorgeous (though woefully short) chorus, and it transitions brilliantly into myxomatosis. are you still reading this? jeez.

anyway in a longwinded way i'm trying to suggest that httt has inner logic. really strong inner logic to the point where messing with its components kinda ruins the album for me. i used to think backdrifts and go to sleep were cut-able too because they seemed so vanilla, but really they're solid songs without any frills, i mean half of the bends is less interesting than these two songs that i would rank in the bottom half of httt.

my super-httt would be something like

2+2=5*

sit down stand up

sail to the moon*

backdrifts

go to sleep

where i end and you begin*

we suck young blood

there there*

lift

myxomatosis*

scatterbrain*

wolf at the door*

with starred tracks being classic songs and essential to the album, and non-starred tracks being varying degrees of good, at minimum good enough to fill the album out and maintain the flow i've come to associate with httt. that's not a lot of changes given how long the album is, but it already runs into problems. i love 2002 lift and was bummed it got left behind, but it competes with scatterbrain for the shoegazey spot and scatterbrain is one of my favorite songs on the album so i'm not swapping it out for anything under any circumstances. i'm not crazy about the gloaming, but it's better live and we know b-sides will never get played as much as the gloaming gets played live... not to mention i'm in the minority in not loving the gloaming. i will isn't one of my favorite songs but it's good for the pacing of the album, plus it'd be kind of wasted as a b-side cos it screams transition track. punchup is the one track besides the gloaming that still hasn't convinced me after all these years, but it's the only track of its kind on the album, it has a gorgeous (though woefully short) chorus, and it transitions brilliantly into myxomatosis. are you still reading this? jeez.

it was hard but i read it all.

I think you're talking about TKOL, ya douchecanoe.

I shall accept that term of endearment with all the honor and respect deserving of two oddly placed nouns.

And, to all those detailing the nuances of what they enjoy about the album - thank you. I read them all. It's nice to see some decent conversation and debate on the old MT.

Aside from the typical troll comments - I appreciate it.

But.....still not sold on HTTT. Perhaps, I was being a little too harsh yesterday, but it does strike me as an album that had a nice flow until somewhere around song 5. At which point the band seems to have just plopped songs in place as they finished them.