mugsy

Big Boots (Man O War) Rare Live Version

Thanks guys!!

Interestingly, some bands definitely use older songs. My Bloody Valentine are a prime example from M B V. Mazzy Star, Primal Scream. Lots of bands do it. Even Radiohead. So it is possible. Even if they turn those old songs into updated versions with different lyrics. You'd definitely keep most of big boots in tact. As it was great from the beginning. You wouldn't want to take away too much from the guitars or melody. Would be the sort of song you could into a Portishead sort of track.

The King of Limbs was the first post-OKC Radiohead album to not feature a track from OK Computer times, at least basing it on what was in Meeting People Is Easy.

How To Disappear Completely, Life in a Glasshouse, I Will and Nude are all featured in that film. I was disappointed that Big Boots wasn't on The King of Limbs to keep up the trend.

Great recording, most of the ones I've heard sound weedy as fuck. I can't see them releasing this today without some major rearrangement, it sounds pure mid-90s Radiohead/early 2000s Muse to me.

true, but present tense is proof that thom can still do melancholy. also if they turned big boots into a portishead type track, with some trip hop and suweeeet drums. who knows!

if they were as frustrated with it when they gave up on it as it seems, i dunno, i wouldn't be too enthusiastic about working on it again if i were them as long as the band is still coming up with new material. i'd love if they did but there's no reason for the band to feel as completionist about their catalogue as we do. god knows how many songs have died in the jam room and from their perspective this song could be just another one of those songs. they did like it enough to perform it several times and to attempt recording it though, so there's that to sustain some hope

Great recording, most of the ones I've heard sound weedy as fuck. I can't see them releasing this today without some major rearrangement, it sounds pure mid-90s Radiohead/early 2000s Muse to me.

True in a sense, but the song changed in 1998 to a much darker, no surprises stylee song. I suppose you can argue the same thing with Hail to the Thief & In Rainbows or anything that is full-band Radiohead or remotely bendsy. Y'know, well, it has power chords, some thick rhythm guitars, a good OK-Computer style vocal, so nah it's way too 90s, can't use it....

I just can't agree with that as an excuse not to give it a chance. Why define a song by a decade when songs change over time anyway. I don't think you'd expect it to sound exactly like it did in 1995 or 1998.

I also don't think that if bands use guitars and melody, or go indie rock that it has to be considered defined as a 90s thing. Indie rock, and just music in general doesn't have to be that complicated.

if they were as frustrated with it when they gave up on it as it seems, i dunno, i wouldn't be too enthusiastic about working on it again if i were them as long as the band is still coming up with new material. i'd love if they did but there's no reason for the band to feel as completionist about their catalogue as we do. god knows how many songs have died in the jam room and from their perspective this song could be just another one of those songs. they did like it enough to perform it several times and to attempt recording it though, so there's that to sustain some hope

I would imagine that some of the frustration was just a good chance to step away from the song after a busy two year tour. so why be too bothered, or give it more time, come back to it later if we feel like it.

i'm sure many songs had similar issues of waiting for it to sound right, not just big boots.

It would be interesting if they did release it now all changed. I mean it's possible, Radiohead are no strangers to dramatically altering the vibe of their songs, I mean tracks like Nude, Morning Mr. Magpie and House of Cards all ended up sounding so different from their original incarnations.

True in a sense, but the song changed in 1998 to a much darker, no surprises stylee song. I suppose you can argue the same thing with Hail to the Thief & In Rainbows or anything that is full-band Radiohead or remotely bendsy. Y'know, well, it has power chords, some thick rhythm guitars, a good OK-Computer style vocal, so nah it's way too 90s, can't use it....

I just can't agree with that as an excuse not to give it a chance. Why define a song by a decade when songs change over time anyway. I don't think you'd expect it to sound exactly like it did in 1995 or 1998.

I also don't think that if bands use guitars and melody, or go indie rock that it has to be considered defined as a 90s thing. Indie rock, and just music in general doesn't have to be that complicated.

i mean i certainly hope they come back around to it, at least give it enough of a chance that we'd get a glimpse of it again like lift. it's just that i'm pretty sure they're on record saying it's dead in the water and if that's how they feel about it i dunno why they'd even spend time on it. someone needs to ask about it again in an interview and see if they still have bad memories about working on it... i think it's been over ten years since the last time i saw any of them mention it.

i mean i certainly hope they come back around to it, at least give it enough of a chance that we'd get a glimpse of it again like lift. it's just that i'm pretty sure they're on record saying it's dead in the water and if that's how they feel about it i dunno why they'd even spend time on it. someone needs to ask about it again in an interview and see if they still have bad memories about working on it... i think it's been over ten years since the last time i saw any of them mention it.

Someone asked Thom and Coz at a show in New York 2011. Apparently they wanted it to be a bond theme, even now, for the current bond movies, but there are issues etc. They would be fans of the song themselves. Just yet to revisit it live.

I'm pretty sure Adele was asked, at the time the film was being hyped up she was like the biggest popstar around. I think if the film were to come out this year they wouldn't have bothered. Shit generic Bond song that.

I imagine Jack White probably asked if he could do it.