The LP9 Speculation Thread

• Replies 8.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It's probably my favourite of the new stuff. But I fear the final version can never match up to the bootleg I've always listened to. It just sounds to me like it could not just only close the album, but could be a fitting final radiohead song ever. Not that I think it will be.

Re: Spectre. They normally make individual tracks available as a download. If I'm right in saying this only streamed on Soundcloud, maybe it's expected on the final release?

Skirting is a decent melody but the full band arrangement is one of the most boring Radiohead song/performances that I've ever heard. Kind of hoping it's a b-side or doesn't show up at all. The piano bit with Thom alone will do fine for me

My hopefuls:

Wake Me

Cut a Hole

Ful Stop

Open the Floodgates

Silent Spring

Desert Island Disks

Most likely to appear:

Identikit

Cut a Hole

Present Tense

Skirting (sigh... Plenty of room in this one for a massive string arrangement, so potential is still high)

Ful Stop

Silent Spring

Desert Island

I also think it will be out no later than Feb. 14, but would not at all be surprised if it dropped 5 minutes from now.

No way. Cut A Hole is gorgeous, easily A-side material. In fact I think it would make a great closing track once they refine the ending.

(Although I also think Go Slowly was A-side worthy...)

I'm predicting Full Stop will be the opening track, it's perfect for it. The studio version will no doubt be mind blowing.

Identikit, Skirting (which is wonderful btw) and the Present Tense will all be there, so will Desert Island Disk hopefully. I personally think Silent Spring should be a B-side, but it will probably be there too.

Lift as well, if the rumours are true, so that's about 8 songs already.

Open the Floodgates and I Froze Up should be B-sides. Nice songs but don't quite make the grade. Same goes for Wake Me in my opinion.

Burn the Witch (if it still exists), Come to Your Senses and Follow Me Around could be either (or neither).

Anyway, here's hoping for a second disc like with IR!

it's one of my favorites too, but i never thought it was gonna be on LP7, the other stuff was just more, i dunno, this is where my ability to describe music fails but there's like a type of song that combined with other songs spells out a clear progression in the band's sound and then there's a type of song that is some other thing out in left field completely regardless of its quality. kinetic is one of my favorite radiohead songs but that doesn't mean it would make any sense on amnesiac. a-side vs b-side is not entirely an issue of the quality of songwriting.

I think once LP9 drops and KOL retires from being the band’s most recent album people will begin to appreciate it more. Honestly, if you take their entire output from 2009-2011 it’s pretty stunning. I’m talking These Are My Twisted Words, Supercollider, The Butcher, The Daily Mail, Staircase. Even Spectre. Add those to a playlist along with the From the Basement versions of KOL and hit shuffle and you got some pretty amazing songwriting and performances. Maybe even some of the best they’ve ever produced…

I think a lot of people have unfortunately looked at TKOL as if it's a sign of Radiohead losing their touch and beginning a slow descent in quality. I see where these people are coming from as the album, in my opinion, doesn't even compare to In Rainbows. However, I feel like TKOL was more of a different direction than a sign of the band getting bad. Kind of like Hail to the Thief where the album was by no means their best work, but merely an interesting direction that was taken before being followed by a masterpiece. 

It's probably my favourite of the new stuff. But I fear the final version can never match up to the bootleg I've always listened to. It just sounds to me like it could not just only close the album, but could be a fitting final radiohead song ever. Not that I think it will be.

Re: Spectre. They normally make individual tracks available as a download. If I'm right in saying this only streamed on Soundcloud, maybe it's expected on the final release?

you can download the track from Soundcloud