The LP9 Speculation Thread

• Replies 8.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

i guess what it comes down to really is that thom and jonny both are very into their own projects that they're working on, and phil did something too recently, and its just they seem really intent with that and jlike they don't want to talk about band stuff.  i get that they're secretive but its coming across more like they aren't into it.  and, you know, i want them to be.  i want them to be like dying to get back together and create and make music and tour and everything, and act like its their favorite thing to do.  i want to feel like they're just as into it as their fans are.

yeah, that would be pretty cool

I honestly think unless some sort of catastrophe brain fart happens that this shows The Present Tense is surely going to be on LP9, thank goodness (and knock on wood). Glad to hear that it still sounds relatively the same spirit and feel that it had since its first appearance. Not to sound like a jerk but I simply hope that they don't do what they did to Magpie. Not that it was bad but the original version was so perfect in its more organic and simplified version.

i always felt the original version of magpie made no sense whatsoever

then the album version came and like whoa

Album magpie is super different but also way better. And yeah I got the impression from Thom's present tense performance that they've nailed that song in the studio. Can't wait.

agree here. magpie solo was garbage, studio is great. can't wait for the present tense, it is going to be soo good.

I want to believe that march 2016 is the latest possible time this album will be released  :icon_roll

So let's speculate on the style they'll go for with this album. Last time around, Thom played several new songs in a similar manner, guitar/piano with vocals (Mouse Dog Bird, Open the Floodgates, Lotus Flower, etc.). This led me to initially anticipating a more folksy album with acoustic and string arrangements. Clearly, they went in quite the opposite direction once it was all said an done.

Do you guys expect a similar sake with this album? As in more of a progression from TKOL or do you think they'll go in a different direction completely, maybe even towards a more folksy acoustic manner?

Album magpie is super different but also way better. And yeah I got the impression from Thom's present tense performance that they've nailed that song in the studio. Can't wait.

Truth bombs

So let's speculate on the style they'll go for with this album. Last time around, Thom played several new songs in a similar manner, guitar/piano with vocals (Mouse Dog Bird, Open the Floodgates, Lotus Flower, etc.). This led me to initially anticipating a more folksy album with acoustic and string arrangements. Clearly, they went in quite the opposite direction once it was all said an done.

Do you guys expect a similar sake with this album? As in more of a progression from TKOL or do you think they'll go in a different direction completely, maybe even towards a more folksy acoustic manner?

i see the guitar or piano + vox being the most common method for songwriting. i have learnt not to expect the final studio versions to sound like the demos that are not performed with the full band. thom's clearly still on an electro kick, and whatever is called folksy seems more behind to me, although i have a hard time not getting a folk vibe from him when he sounds a lot like neil young.

lyrics, i don't care. there's always been corny stuff, really deep, moving stuff. i care about sound and physical performance. i can't watch dj sessions they are really boring, but they're not meant to be watched.

i see the guitar or piano + vox being the most common method for songwriting. i have learnt not to expect the final studio versions to sound like the demos that are not performed with the full band. thom's clearly still on an electro kick, and whatever is called folksy seems more behind to me, although i have a hard time not getting a folk vibe from him when he sounds a lot like neil young.

lyrics, i don't care. there's always been corny stuff, really deep, moving stuff. i care about sound and physical performance. i can't watch dj sessions they are really boring, but they're not meant to be watched.

Folksy meaning acoustic guitars, maybe some violins. Songs about the earth and the human conscience. Neil young indeed

yeah, i mean there aren't really any two albums that sound that similar (aside from maybe ph and the bends) and especially now this has been the longest gap between two radiohead albums.  anything is possible, but i just can't imagine them doing anything like tkol again.