Whiskey Clone

The LP9 Speculation Thread

Thom tweeted a weird pic today

He did the same stuff a month before TMB

So LP9 will come out in May. Book it

I think theyll stick to the whole "its coming out in a week" thing, or at least they should. Thats the best of both worlds for hype and surprise

Im guessing this will come out somewhere between October and December. They've had a good chunk of recording time (September-December, late Feb to now at the very least), but fucking phil's solo career has him touring on and off until mid august (albeit for only two week long stints and a couple of other one-off shows). I mean for any normal band that would be enough time to record a couple of albums and five EPs change, but I doubt they release anything or feel like anything finished until theyre all together with nothing but free time ahead of them to figure out releasing and touring. aka gathering momentum which would be hard to do now unless these sessions were amazing.

However, when they finish this, I doubt they hold on to it like in Rainbows. Theyll probably release it ASAP like TKOL and figure the rest out later. Also Jonny said theyre working with limits, and though I cant be certain of what that means, I doubt theyll have to figure out how to play these songs properly live like TKOL. Like In Rainbows a lot of these songs have been developed in concert and have been kicking around for a really long time.

The absolute earliest I could see this coming out would be August if Phil comes back and they really bang everything out in May/June/July before Phils next short tour in August. If they wrap everything up by then it could be like, "okay phil when you come back lets unleash this BAD BOY"

Of course I hope Im wrong and they just release it next month start touring after the summer. That also makes sense.

i could see them doing an immediate release with no pre-announcement, but either way i wouldn't be surprised. well, i mean, i'd be surprised when it came out but you know what i mean

also i doubt phil's shit is messing with their schedule. they can lay down some beats easily enough for whatever they have and let phil put in the goods when he's around

it would be nice if they could get something out this year though. i guess it was a little over 4 years between HTTT and IR, and about 3.5 until TKOL, but they're going to come close to pushing 5 this time around. i'd also be really happy if they skipped the tour, assuming anyways that it meant they would get back in the studio earlier than if they toured. i'd rather have more Radiohead music, at this point, than more Radiohead live experiences

maybe I'm wrong, but TKOL was released in feb 2011 and I don't recall anything much happening for a while, wasn't glastonbury the first time we saw them after the release?

in other words, phil and his tour could be a non factor as far as a release date.

i can't remember when they first popped up, but yeah they initially were not planning any gigs. i think it was a mistake as far as promotion goes, cause the album was already kind of weird and they let it slide under the radar for perhaps too long

i'd like them to have a better plan this time - i don't want them to tour much, if at all, but they should do some promo shit when they release the album, like go on the tonight show etc

I think the problem was that for TKOL they weren't ready to play the material live. There was a transitional period between the recording and the actual live versions of the recorded renditions

It seems they've taken the opposite approach with the recent material, such as Ful Stop, Identikit, Skirting, etc. Of course the recorded versions could be a different animal entirely. 

"Does Radiohead’s member’s solo work take you guys away from getting on with the next Radiohead album?

No, don’t worry, we’re definitely working on stuff; we’ve been in the studio all this week. It’s all still happening; it’s all still moving along."

This should calm you folks down.

It seems they've taken the opposite approach with the recent material, such as Ful Stop, Identikit, Skirting, etc. Of course the recorded versions could be a different animal entirely.

Yeah I mean there are early live versions of seperator and lotus flower.

"Does Radiohead’s member’s solo work take you guys away from getting on with the next Radiohead album?

No, don’t worry, we’re definitely working on stuff; we’ve been in the studio all this week. It’s all still happening; it’s all still moving along."

This should calm you folks down.

Well who needs Phil when you've got Clive..

it's conceivable stuff could change drastically, pull a reckoner or whatever, but reckoner wasn't an especially strong song originally. i think the biggest change we can expect to songs that have already been performed full band is more along the lines of nude, where the arrangement changes somewhat but the fundamental basis (tempo, key, dynamics, etc) is basically the same.

Think of Up On The Ladder. The early full band live version was pretty uptempo and guitar driven. So whatever happened to this song in the studio can happen to ful stop or identikit as well.