Whiskey Clone

The LP9 Speculation Thread

Skirting should be like a bonus track. I like it but its just the same sequence over and over and over again. The synth bits were clearly an attempt to spice up a nice enough melody that doesnt go anywhere. Its got the house of cards syndrome except house of cards has a lot more going on and the intro/end is wicked.

Maybe it would make a cool opener if it started off really out there and then segued into the groove. It needs some studio trickery. Maybe throw some horns on that bitch

i do think the version they played live was a little thin, but it's an incredible melody with an awesome groove so i really don't think it would take much to make it top notch. there's no way radiohead will let it slip through the cracks. they've made less inspiring songs shine in the studio before (since you mentioned it, house of cards for example)

Have you gone back and listened to some of the in rainbows stuff on tour in 2006? I remember it being pretty rough, seemed jammy

Only bodysnatchers, all I need, and nude really stood out. Everything else seemed pretty rough. Stuff like house of cards and 15 step seemed lifeless.

Things like Full Stop and Identikit made sense immediately on the other hand. They've only played like what, 4 new songs anyway?

I feel like Skiritng's melody would make for a good verse melody, I don't think it's enough for a whole song though. I think they should add a new chorus or bridge or something.

15 Step live was amazing wth

they were almost all amazing at the time because they were fresh and exciting and different, and people could tell right away that 15 step was an amazing song and an instant classic even if it had room to get better. seems to be a skill some people in this thread have lost :mellow:

But I find the studio version a little thin by comparison, although it's still super. The only one they really dropped the ball with was Bangers + Mash. But yeah outside of that stupid broken hearts bit in Identikit I've loved all the new stuff

i think they made down is the new up too bright in the studio version.  it was nice as the darker song it was during the live tour.  identikit is a bad song right now.  nothing of the ones people are going crazy about are really that great.  best one is wake me before they come which will be on the new album along with the present tense and true love waits

Identikit would be one of their best post- IR songs if not for the broken hearts bit. So cringey. I think an album with wake me and present tense and tlw could be totally serene and 10/10. Maybe lift could work it's way in there too ...

lift would be welcome but less likely than true love waits.  just looking at what thom has been playing during his solo sets plus the radiohead songs they are playing live it makes the most sense that those three would be on an album.  they work well together.  identikit and a lot of the other seriously sound like "well we didn't finish them during the king of limbs but let's keep playing them anyway."

Have you gone back and listened to some of the in rainbows stuff on tour in 2006? I remember it being pretty rough, seemed jammy

Only bodysnatchers, all I need, and nude really stood out. Everything else seemed pretty rough. Stuff like house of cards and 15 step seemed lifeless.

The Basement version of IR is flawless.  

I really don't understand what's wrong with the "broken hearts make it rain" part of identikit. It's great and leads perfectly into the dope jam

why do people still want an album version of true love waits? There's nothing to that song that song that isn't on the live version and that version was on a fucking GREATEST HITS album. Pretty sure they couldn't do another version even if they wanted to

I get the hype behind stuff like Lift that we never got a studio version of but True Love Waits is a nice solo acoustic track that has stayed the same for like a decade

well the lift live performance is good enough as is but people still wanna hear a studio version.  same with true love waits.  it's a nice acoustic track, but it would be a better band track

If the final synth part of Skirting doesn't give you an otherworldly serene feeling you're doing it wrong. It's glorious as it is and I just hope they convey it on record. Would make a good closer.

I think they need to play the otherworldly synth part during the verses. It would be less monotonous if that synth backing was playing during Thom's singing parts and the melody would sound even nicer with those ethereal synths backing it up.

why do people still want an album version of true love waits? There's nothing to that song that song that isn't on the live version and that version was on a fucking GREATEST HITS album. Pretty sure they couldn't do another version even if they wanted to

I get the hype behind stuff like Lift that we never got a studio version of but True Love Waits is a nice solo acoustic track that has stayed the same for like a decade

Because it doesn't have the production value of a studio version. Also it would be neat to have some subtle spacey synths in the in the background.