Girl In Rainbows

The official NZ/Australia tour thread

that is a shitty flight. 16 hours?? it only took 14 last time i did that leg

i'm going to sydney with my friend tomorrow for the gig on tues. argh 4 hour flight how will i ever cope

I posted this an hour and half before departure. The flight wasn't bad, except I think I got food poisoning from the crappy turkey sandwich I ate in spite of everything my intuition was screaming at me. Tassie was brilliant, saw a lot in three days, and MONA completely knocked my socks off.

Back in Sydney. I met at least 9 people on the cheap Jetstar flight from Hobart who were going to the show tonight.

Going to the ESP Gallery in Newtown and lunch thereabouts, then over to the show.

Totally stoked, the reports have been hugely positive about AKL, Brissie and last night in SYD.

here is a summary i wrote for my friends

i caught the train to central and walked past my old stomping grounds of uts (that's where i used to stomp people (with my writing)) to the entertainment centre. outside were a lot of pretty girls and slightly but not too hipsterish looking dudes

i got in quickly and lined up to buy a shirt. it took about 10 minutes but i got a blue shirt that says radiohead backwards for $50. it is slightly small

after purchasing a bottle of mount franklin, of which i was not allowed to keep the cap, i went in and found my seat

i was surprised to find that i had one of the best seats there. behind the mosh it was just the second row back a few metres to the left off centre. i was sitting beside two dudes but they didn't smell or sing along obnoxiously so they were alright

radiohead came out just minutes after i sat down and began right away. there were these cool hanging panels that moved around and the lights in them and around the stage kept changing patterns and colours. i thought my eyes were bleeding during paranoid android

they were on stage for over 2 hours and played 24 songs including 2 encores. it was 'newer' radiohead heavy as they played 6 songs from the king of limbs, 6 songs from in rainbows and 3 unreleased tracks called staircase, ful stop and these are my twisted words. they did play some of my other favourites though including there there, pyramid song, everything in its right place and idioteque

thom was very charismatic. he only interacted with the crowd a little but he was quite funny, his dancing was great (especially during myxomatosis) and his vocals were definitely the best i've ever heard live

they got a pretty long standing ovation when they finished that was well deserved

then i had to walk to central then walk to the other side of central to get a bus to chatswood to get a train to gordon to drive home to go to sleep to wake up and type this

Can't wait to see them in Melb...how long before do people wait in line beforehand to see them to get clos(ish) to the stage ? One hour, 3 hours, 1000 hours? I might wanna but some merch, so how much spare cashola would be appropiate? And can you bring camera's in (or bags?) I'm really excited, first time seeing them live ever.

i just met the whole band with a bunch of fans out the back of sydney, they signed most things, i got my setlist (amazing by the way) signed by the whole band, absolutely priceless.

HOW??? Tell us the whole story. Was it when you guys where waiting or at the end of the show?

I also heard Thom was the dj at some sydney club.

this was my post about it on tumblr:

‘context’

they came out the back after their sydney show tonight where we were all waiting, after rumour that a couple of people had had the chance to meet Thom last night but that was all. after about an hour of waiting they came out to the vans and we called them over, Thom lead them and they walked over and signed most things people held through the fence, for me it was the setlist of tonight’s show which was spectacular in itself - five songs from Kid A. they were all so nice and chatty, Thom was looking forward to going home and Phil said he’s recording his new album in January. Jonny, as shy as he is, hardly said a word and was the first to run away, whilst Colin was the last to come out. Ed showed us his new tattoo and refused to reveal any detail about the recording at Jack White’s studio earlier this year. Colin seemed to be in a rush, but he was able to sign my setlist.

It was as unreal as it sounds. One of the best nights of my life, without a doubt.

here is a summary i wrote for my friends

i caught the train to central and walked past my old stomping grounds of uts (that's where i used to stomp people (with my writing)) to the entertainment centre. outside were a lot of pretty girls and slightly but not too hipsterish looking dudes

i got in quickly and lined up to buy a shirt. it took about 10 minutes but i got a blue shirt that says radiohead backwards for $50. it is slightly small

after purchasing a bottle of mount franklin, of which i was not allowed to keep the cap, i went in and found my seat

i was surprised to find that i had one of the best seats there. behind the mosh it was just the second row back a few metres to the left off centre. i was sitting beside two dudes but they didn't smell or sing along obnoxiously so they were alright

radiohead came out just minutes after i sat down and began right away. there were these cool hanging panels that moved around and the lights in them and around the stage kept changing patterns and colours. i thought my eyes were bleeding during paranoid android

they were on stage for over 2 hours and played 24 songs including 2 encores. it was 'newer' radiohead heavy as they played 6 songs from the king of limbs, 6 songs from in rainbows and 3 unreleased tracks called staircase, ful stop and these are my twisted words. they did play some of my other favourites though including there there, pyramid song, everything in its right place and idioteque

thom was very charismatic. he only interacted with the crowd a little but he was quite funny, his dancing was great (especially during myxomatosis) and his vocals were definitely the best i've ever heard live

they got a pretty long standing ovation when they finished that was well deserved

then i had to walk to central then walk to the other side of central to get a bus to chatswood to get a train to gordon to drive home to go to sleep to wake up and type this

^ Although I saw them in Brissie, your experience almost exactly mirrors my own... right down to the "slightly but not too hipsterish" crowd, confiscated bottle-caps and seats directly behind the floor area. I also concur about the light show, which hit its most spectacular during Paranoid Android. All in all, a pretty good night eh? ;)

Can't wait to see them in Melb...how long before do people wait in line beforehand to see them to get clos(ish) to the stage ? One hour, 3 hours, 1000 hours? I might wanna but some merch, so how much spare cashola would be appropiate? And can you bring camera's in (or bags?) I'm really excited, first time seeing them live ever.

^ We were in allocated seating, however security at Brisbane's Boondal Entertainment Centre had no problem with me taking my camera into the venue, and (as it was raining quite heavily) there were umbrellas everywhere too. Weirdly, the only problem they had was with the caps on the bottled water, as mentioned above (bottle allowed, but no caps) :P

went last night. meh

^ Playing it cool? -_- I ask, because I cannot grasp how the Sydney(?) gig could've been only a "meh" experience when Brissie was SO freaking fantastic. The light show/visuals alone were worth the price of admission.

‘context’

they came out the back after their sydney show tonight where we were all waiting, after rumour that a couple of people had had the chance to meet Thom last night but that was all. after about an hour of waiting they came out to the vans and we called them over, Thom lead them and they walked over and signed most things people held through the fence, for me it was the setlist of tonight’s show which was spectacular in itself - five songs from Kid A. they were all so nice and chatty, Thom was looking forward to going home and Phil said he’s recording his new album in January. Jonny, as shy as he is, hardly said a word and was the first to run away, whilst Colin was the last to come out. Ed showed us his new tattoo and refused to reveal any detail about the recording at Jack White’s studio earlier this year. Colin seemed to be in a rush, but he was able to sign my setlist.

It was as unreal as it sounds. One of the best nights of my life, without a doubt.

^ I am simultaneously very happy for you AND beyond envious! One of my American RH-loving pals had hinted it'd be worth my while to wait around afterwards, but as I was hundreds of miles from home and the weather was bad, I caved into my hubby's wish to leave directly after the show. Oh well, we're getting too old and silly in the head for that kind of malarky anyway. *sobs*

‘context’

I am so jealous right now...why did my ancestors migrate to NZ- sydney was only a few hours away *sigh*

you didn't like it? how come?

oh i liked it, but for years i always thought a radiohead gig would be overwhelmingly awesome. but i guess i'm just not as big of a fan as i used to be, so it was just pretty cool instead of amazing. def glad i finally saw them though

they screwed up the last song (idioteque) so bad, it was pretty funny

oh i liked it, but for years i always thought a radiohead gig would be overwhelmingly awesome. but i guess i'm just not as big of a fan as i used to be, so it was just pretty cool instead of amazing. def glad i finally saw them though

they screwed up the last song (idioteque) so bad, it was pretty funny

Really? It was amazing on Monday. How did they mess it up? There aren't any videos of it from Tuesday on youtube yet so I can't see for myself.

after the breakdown kind of section in idioteque colin got confused and started triggering the sampled chords at the wrong time and then everyone got confused, thom started getting pissed and eventually the whole thing fell apart. i think every band member finished the song at a different time haha. afterwards thom said to the crowd, "we fucked up, it happens". i think he was pretty embarrassed but the crowd didn't care

anyway i was in the seating 3 rows from the back, and the sound was really shit from there. the bass especially sounded like arse, couldn't even hear individual notes. so maybe i would have enjoyed it more if i was closer

after the breakdown kind of section in idioteque colin got confused and started triggering the sampled chords at the wrong time and then everyone got confused, thom started getting pissed and eventually the whole thing fell apart. i think every band member finished the song at a different time haha. afterwards thom said to the crowd, "we fucked up, it happens". i think he was pretty embarrassed but the crowd didn't care

anyway i was in the seating 3 rows from the back, and the sound was really shit from there. the bass especially sounded like arse, couldn't even hear individual notes. so maybe i would have enjoyed it more if i was closer

I recorded it..i'll post it up soon. About the sound...I was in the seats at the back, in the lower half..for the first 30mins of the gig the sound was the worst i've heard anywhere.. muddy rubbish. i couldnt believe it. fortunately they fixed it up after a while. [it's usually good on the floor in the SEC, but i couldnt get tkts there]. In the meantime here's one of my faves > Reckoner, Sydney SEC tues 13 nov [sorry abou the rtards in front of me who talked through a number of the songs]. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qXAlZmW4tA

i also forgot to mention - i'm sorry it's taken a couple of days to process and remember all the details - but Ed said he was going to live in Brazil for a year next year, seems as though they'll be taking a bit of a break, largely to work on solo projects but we already knew that. At least now we know what Ed's doing

I think the talking fucktards in front of you were behind us. Also agree the sound blew dead seagulls for about the first three songs. Other than that a brilliant show and an amazing setlist. Wish I had tickets in Melbourne Saturday is my last night in OZ.

Hey guys,

So a friend of mine just recently returned from Thailand and has unfortunately become sick. He was supposed to attend Radiohead's Saturday 17th show (yes, the one in 15 hours) with myself and two others but he's expressed to me that he may or may not be able to go depending on how he feels when he wakes up.

It's currently 4am in the morning, so I won't know for sure if he's able to go until a few hours time when he's awake. Just as a precaution, I'd like to see if anybody here is interested in buying the spare ticket in case he isn't able to attend. I would hate to see this ticket go to waste.

I'm not looking to make any profit off this sale, I'd sell this at the price that I bought it ($150). I just want this ticket in the hands of someone who genuinely appreciates the band. It is a seated ticket in the lower section of Rod Laver Arena.

Any takers? Still looking Kid Zed?

Copied from my thread - http://www.greenplas...-17th-november/