Radiohead Manchester 2012

15%OffYourNextOrder

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Worth waiting 4 years for! FANTASTIC show in every respect – the sound, the lightshow (you HAVE to see it live to appreciate it properly) and the performance all 10/10.

All the band were clearly very up for it and seemed glad to be home. Thom was very bubbly – never seen him so animated.

The setlist was just superb – I was praying for Twisted Words and Ful Stop and got both.

The other song I was desperate to hear was HTDC and it was just heart-melting - stunning...

Idioteque - which was a third (yes, THIRD) encore, sounded the best I've heard it for years.

Absolutely brilliant from start to finish! They have a lot to live up to for the London shows.

^^^^ what he said! edit: thedevilsway....not ellis rimmer who should listen to more radiohead!!

out of all the shows i've seen over the years this one really was special somehow. i really thought they'd struggle to top the two nimes gigs from this year (and don't get me wrong - they were also special in their own way due to them returning to the tour at that point and the fact that we got 35 songs over two nights) but somehow they pulled it off into a magical performance last night. they really were on form. it's pretty amazing to be among a 15000 strong crowd where you could, at times, actually have heard a pin drop - they were that mesmerising - fucking awesome!!!

^^^^ what he said! edit: thedevilsway....not ellis rimmer who should listen to more radiohead!!

.... it's pretty amazing to be among a 15000 strong crowd where you could, at times, actually have heard a pin drop - they were that mesmerising - fucking awesome!!!

Yeah, mesmerizing - that's the word. To have that many people spellbound is incredible. I agree it was one of those nights that just felt special, even by Radiohead standards. My partner couldn't understand why so many people weren't dancing at first but as I tried to explain at the time, they were listening!

Personally I was totally enraptured from the first note - totally lost in it. Anyone who doesn't appreciate that setlist doesn't understand where radiohead are in their career at all. They are still developing and their new material is just as strong as the old, its just very different. The KOL tracks work superbly. Yes they have a big and impressive back catalogue but they certainly don't need to rely on it all to remain as awesome or relevant as ever. They made that very clear a long time ago. ER really needs to get up-to-date with the newer stuff because you are really, REALLY misssing out!

I hope there is a recording of it somewhere that can at least do it some justice. It sounds corny but I felt privelaged to be there, it was one of those very rare gigs that I will take to the grave with me. Wonderful.

I didn't rate the setlist unfortunately, too many new songs that aren't on the new album were played, which i'm not upto date enough on radiohead now to appreiciate so I would've preferred they play karma police or something

i only really started listening to their last 2 albums a week before seeing them last night. But theyre great albums and i got to know and really like the songs after only a few listens.

Im just glad they played Android, Pyramid, and How to disappear... some of my favourite songs ever. Oh and Telex and Airbag.

Didnt think i could like their music as much as i do right now. The live experience does that because u see how simple the songs are. When u see them building up the layers of each song it really hits home how increbily well crafted the music is. On the album you automatically assume there is a lot of production wizardry, but then you watch them create the magic in front of your eyes and its quite incredible.

Hearing their music in a new light now.

Lotus Flower - I'd gone into this thinking Bloom made much more sense as an opener but I guess I was wrong, this was dirty bad-ass. Epic way to start.

Airbag - Pretty emotional listening to this. Wasn't expecting it so early either. It's gradually become my favourite song over the last few years I think and I was dying to hear it.

Bloom - Really good though you kind of have to be guided by the rush as each bit isnt as distinct as on the basement recording.

The Daily Mail - Not many people seemed to know it but the bounce at the end got people going. Great. Would rather have heard Staircase but I aint complaining.

Myxomatosis - Heard this at every RH gig I've been to now, but it's always spitting energy and worth hearing.

The Gloaming - Alright but wasn't too mad about this.

Separator - Really pretty, as you'd expect. Think it would work better nearer the end though.

Twisted Words - I love the song but they struggled to pull off all the distinct little nuances so if you hadn't heard it before you couldnt really appreciate it. Still enjoyed it though myself.

Pyramid Song - Omg, Jonny on the guitar with the bow, the whole thing, just beautiful.

Nude - Damn, Ed's new part in this totally breathes life into it. Before it was just pretty live, now it really creates that ethereal feeling that just lifts you up. A real highlight.

Arpeggi - Love the momentum, they nailed it.

Reckoner - Again, In Rainbows songs were tight as fuck.

There There - Third time I've heard it first time where the crowd have actually warmed up so yeah I went fucking ballistic. Sorry if I accidentally nutted you in the back of the head.

The National Anthem - Again best version I've heard live. Apeshit as required.

Feral - This was another highlight, such a beast of a rhythm. Even the very apparent fuck up in the middle of it couldnt stop it.

Paranoid Android - What's not to love? I actually felt like the night didn't need this song somehow, like it was the only one that felt by numbers, but whatever im just being hyper-critical.

You and Whose Army? - A nice surprise, forget how good this is sometimes.

Full Stop - I'm not overly familiar with this but it really is just pick up and play. Was dancing to it like I'd known it for ages. Lights were great for this.

Morning Mr Magpie - Much more of a wall of sound feeling than on the basement version, really fun shred.

Planet Telex - I'd been desparate to hear this and yet I didnt twig what it was for the first few seconds! Then of course I realise and I act like the world is gonna end.

How to Disappear - Another one I'd been hoping to hear. Really gorgeous, love the endless loop at the end.

Give up the Ghost - Really sweet, it just automatically matches the album version by default.

EiiRP - Unravel intro was great. Sang it with the people around me who recognised it, quite apt I was wearing a Bjork t-shirt.

Idioteque - BOOM

Was anything up with Jonny? He disappeared during Arpeggi and was completely absent during Reckoner. Unless Im blind. Got the heebyjeebies that he was ill and they would abort the gig. Thought people could've danced/moved around a bit more (I was at the front in the middle). Thought more people would be wanting to shake their ass. Alas I looked like the only guy on drugs when it appeared more likely the reverse.

Twisted Words was a bit crap but the run after to the first encore was unbelievable. Crowd sang happy birthday to Thom after YAWA.

Totally disagree regarding Twisted Words - it was really good in my opinion... Its not the easiest of songs to pull off live and its unrealistic to expect it to sound like the recorded version as its quite complex with lots of subtle nuances to it. Some songs have to be quite loose when you transfer them into the live setting and this is one of them.

For me though this song is all about the vibe it creates and in that respect they were bang on and essentially nailed it.

Was anything up with Jonny? He disappeared during Arpeggi and was completely absent during Reckoner. Unless Im blind. Got the heebyjeebies that he was ill and they would abort the gig. Thought people could've danced/moved around a bit more (I was at the front in the middle). Thought more people would be wanting to shake their ass. Alas I looked like the only guy on drugs when it appeared more likely the reverse.

He was sitting at the rhodes with his lemon! Was a bit hidden behind Clive so can't blame you for missing him.

Guess I may as well just say.. that was absolutely amazing. Ecstatic that Airbag (the first RH song I fell in love with) was played + The Daily Mail + SEEING THEM LIVE FOR THE FIRST TIME MAN = INCREDIBLE

little bit gutted that manchester had such a great setlist,

unless they play the same again tomorrow!

They're not muse so I doubt it. This one of the great things about rh live, every setlist is different, sure they've only changed the opener once and they've finished with idioteque for a few gigs now, but in general they really mix up sets very well. I was slightly disappointed they didn't bring out a rarity that they hadn't played for ages specially for their first proper gig in the home country for 4 years, but in general it was a very good set and several of my top 10 songs were played so I can't complain.

little bit gutted that manchester had such a great setlist,

unless they play the same again tomorrow!

I shouldn't worry, they are clearly on fire at the moment and whatever they decide to play it will be a special night - again.

Looking forward to the return of Identikit and hopfully Spinning Plates, Talk Show Host and Street Spirit...

See you there - its gonna be amazing!

Totally disagree regarding Twisted Words - it was really good in my opinion... Its not the easiest of songs to pull off live and its unrealistic to expect it to sound like the recorded version as its quite complex with lots of subtle nuances to it. Some songs have to be quite loose when you transfer them into the live setting and this is one of them.

For me though this song is all about the vibe it creates and in that respect they were bang on and essentially nailed it.

Nah I thought Jonny and Thom struggled to get into a rhythm at the start and they blundered their way into the bit with the vocals, which was slightly better but still meh. Just not as tight as the rest of the set. Would have preferred another In Rainbows track (15 Step please). They're on fire and it was a shame that they muddled through a song that isn't even that great in the first place rather than play a dead cert ace live song. I keep hearing Planet Telex in my head, was just amazing. Man. What a band.