Uandwhosearmy

Thom is an underrated guitarist

I've noticed that everyone includes Jonny and Ed and their 100 best guitarists of all time lists, but Thom is always left out. I think it's pretty unfair--anybody who can do the street spirit riff and sing at the same time deserves a spot in the top 50. Morning Mr Magpie, Paranoid Android and There There feature prominent riffs and lines from Thom that really enliven the songs. What do you guys think?

yeah i'm sure any singer-songwriter could technically play the street spirit 'riff' and sing too. it's merely (lol) arpeggios with a little descending bit. a lot of the stuff he does at gigs is fiddly though, he often plays lines that most singers would have let one of the two 'full time' guitarists play, and i have at least one muso mate who considers him to be technically the best musician in the band as a result.

I don't think he's as creative as johnny or ed. He's definitely not your conventional major chord guy, he uses a ton of cool, unusual chords in all his rhythm parts, and his performance on bloom from basement is mental. Very good, but not top 50.

I cant play guitar so i cant say much about his style or something... but when i see the concerts on youtube or other kind of videos, he has never make feel like O___O like jonny or ed had done

Anyone can play guitar...

I'm not exactly sure what the breakdown is... But if Thom is responsible for most of the song compositions (which sounds true-ish), then yes, add him to the top lists. If you're basing this on technical ability, then no.

Rationale: most guitarists who have played for more than a couple of years can play Street Spirit by ear in less than 5 minutes. But few guitarists, regardless of how long they've played, can write something so beautiful.

lol that street spirit riff is guitar for beginners. harder stuff includes songs like jigsaw falling into place, gagging order, reckoner (played properly). tbh most of his guitar parts aren't that difficult though

I've noticed that everyone includes Jonny and Ed and their 100 best guitarists of all time lists, but Thom is always left out. I think it's pretty unfair--anybody who can do the street spirit riff and sing at the same time deserves a spot in the top 50. Morning Mr Magpie, Paranoid Android and There There feature prominent riffs and lines from Thom that really enliven the songs. What do you guys think?

no.

Rationale: most guitarists who have played for more than a couple of years can play Street Spirit by ear in less than 5 minutes. But few guitarists, regardless of how long they've played, can write something so beautiful.

Ed wrote it, and played it on the recording as far as I'm aware though... Thom just aquired the part from him.

think about it, he's been playing guitar for like 30 years of his life (assuming he started playing when he was 10 or something), if you're not AT LEAST on his level of skill after playing for that much time, you really should be worried

Ed wrote it, and played it on the recording as far as I'm aware though... Thom just aquired the part from him.

Oh. Wow. That works even less in Thom's favor.

Well, specific songs aside, I'm sure he writes a lot of the great memorable chord progressions and such. Technically, he's nothing special, though. What's more important anyway? Shred chops will help you make top 50 guitarists lists. Compositional chops help you make top 50 bands of all time lists.

I should point out that I'm 90% self-taught on guitar and am therefore crap, so if I sounded overly-reverent in that post then I apologize. The point I was trying to make is that he's at least as good as the other two, though not in such an obvious way. Look!

(although you'll probably just tell me that that's piss easy as well :L)

the clock isnt hard to play, its kind of hard to play & sing timing-wise but he cant do that with little by little or magpie so it doesnt make much difference that he sort of can with the clock

thom isnt an underrated guitarist

he'd be underrated if people were like yeah jonny and ed are great but thom is shit!

and also its usually jonny&ed as a joint entry on these lists isnt it? which is fair i guess

dont know what my point is

apart from the fact that using any of the bits thom plays in radiohead songs as justification for him being regarded as anything more than a good guitarist is silly