listening to the king of limbs for the first time since around the time it was released

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think I moaned and died a little inside the first time I heard it. But it's Radiohead and I don't always like their stuff at first. I didn't like it until I saw FTB. Now it's just another Radiohead album to me. About a month after tkol came out I put it on repeat for a few hours while I put together my first computer build and I'll always remember it as the album for building computers. I honored TKOL by making it the first thing I installed. Random story I know, but it was fun.

no this isn't the second time i've ever listened to this album. i listened to it a bunch when it was released and like it a fair bit, better than the bends, for sure. but it hasn't aged well. there are plenty of albums that i like when i first hear them, but after a while i don't really want to hear them anymore. how about that braids album for instance come on

yeah ok i listened to it earlier and it didn't really hold my attention all the way through but then nothing really does and it wasn't offensive enough for me to turn it off and i kind of liked it sometimes i mean i am going to try to give it a chance its just hard to want to give something a chance when there are so many albums i know i like you knwo lots of things i listen to and i'm like meh and then i'm like why bother

i will admit that i do have a lot of hangups to get over with a lot of different music that i really should like but don't but what can i say its hard to tell when thats the issue and when i'm wasting my time

and i mean it doesn't help to have people telling me i'm a terrible person for disliking tkol i mean it doesn't make me want to like it, it actually makes me want to hate it guys

i'm a terrible person regardless though

me too

wait, who said anyone was terrible just cuz they don't like the album?

thats just silly

was a joke i just feel like some people can't just respect when people just dont like an album llike the people sayin oh man your'e just bein a fackin hipster disliking an album jsut cuz its new

I think it's their naked lunch of an album

This!

That mind-fuck sound the first time you hear Bloom always reminded me of something---and I think reading Naked Lunch is it. It's just so different that what you're expecting. Perfectly understandable that lots of people don't care as much for it as other albums.

last thing, we are all radiohead fans, we were that kind of fan. Here is something I came across in a review. and even though it is for in rainbows. it perfectly captures what i think of radiohead now.

"Glow readers: pay no heed to Team Hate counterpointing down there. Or, do. It's quite a review. But this is your Radiohead review. We are here to talk real with you. We are of the people -- we love Radiohead, too. Just like you do. But first, some hardball.

Hail to the Thief (2004) kinda sucks. We didn't think so at first either, and, yeah, screw us for saying so now. We still like "There There." But, please: "Punch Up at a Wedding," "The Gloaming," "Go To Sleep". Tell us you still like these songs. Tell us you still listen to them. And to the fanboy in the back still bobbing his head: stop. Radiohead recorded Thief in two weeks and it shows. The writing's thin, the rhythm's clunky and the funk is so faked it's practically Britney at the VMAs. The Leak sounded better and, friends, that isn't kosher; the record, in the broad sense, tanks, even when individually so much of it works. It is the sound of a band reaching for a masterpiece when they don't have it in them to even try. And the point -- the pellucid moment -- when you stop pussying out of that assertion and realise that this band is fallible and these five guys are just a bunch of dudes -- dudes with plectrums; dudes with sticks -- is the point at which you can listen to In Rainbows, and enjoy it.

Because this, broadly speaking, is not a "Radiohead" record. That bar was set too high; this is why Thief (kinda) sucks. There's only a short list of other artists who've had to carry the mantle that Radiohead has: the Biggest and Greatest band in the world, a behemoth of artistic and commercial heft. Imagine being so important. Only the Beatles did it without faltering. Let's not talk about the Beatles. But, if we're going to understand In Rainbows, let's not talk about Radiohead either. At least, let's not talk about that Radiohead, or those Radiohead records. Not specifically; we don't have time, and Radiohead doesn't wanna do it.

If we're going to talk about anything, let's talk about career arc, if "arc" can be used to describe the hyperconscious trouble minx that is this band's muse. Let's talk about a reversion away from earth-shaking experimentation -- and let's let alone the question of whether or not this band was truly innovating. Let's just admit that their tremors shook the earth, right: and that they really truly couldn't give a fuck about holding your hand. Let's just accept that and move on. The career of Radiohead has, sure, always been about growth, about advancement. But, crucially at this point, it's also always been about retreat. Because Radiohead may have been growing but -- high-five to Mark Abraham -- they were never going to grow into anything new: they were growing into Radiohead. They were growing into the space they left.

Listen to "Reckoner"; hear how ecstatic these tones are? There's hardly a moment that isn't delicate and/or precise; hardly a point, either -- as one often, depressingly, felt with Thief -- where the band sounds completely in control. Check the woozy off-chords, the tampered guitar fuzz, and the way they smudge in and out of Selway's best motorik send-up: this isn't the sound of people freaking out over "what to do next." This is the sound, first and foremost, of friends having fun, of a band redefining its limits and realising its creativity and getting as close as it has ever gotten to just saying "Fuck it -- let's rock." The growing pains are over. These dudes sound happy."