Amnesiac-Reckoner

TORONTO - Downsview Park

I have a hard time believing that radiohead of all bands would use a rig that is dangerous at all. They have those screens that move around but I'm guessing they're pretty light, and I think all those badass lights in the background are just plastic. Based on what's been said, I think the roof of the stage itself collapsed, though why remains to be answered

I have a hard time believing that radiohead of all bands would use a rig that is dangerous at all. They have those screens that move around but I'm guessing they're pretty light, and I think all those badass lights in the background are just plastic. Based on what's been said, I think the roof of the stage itself collapsed, though why remains to be answered

i think the roof or scaffolding or both couldnt handle all the weight. the professional riggers of the road crew should have seen this. or maybe the local toronto crew failed to address the weight issue. all the motors and cables used to move the video displays have got to be pretty heavy. i'm surprised too that someone would let them play underneath it all.

there were no adverse weather conditions. it was catastophic structural failure, no doubt based on human error. exactly what that human error is wont be known for weeks or months when a thorough investigation is performed. plenty of blame to go all around, unfortunately..

I watched a live conference last night with Toronto Police and they said that the set-up of the stage was done specifically for the show and had began three days prior. Personally, I think the local crew responsible for setting up (and rushing) the stage are mostly at fault here, not the band or their crew.

They played on September 11th 2001, and I think they felt that they and the fans needed a distraction from the awful news cycle. That sitting at home or in a hotel would not be any better. They were able to perform a great show, from the reports I read.

I was thinking of this as well reading the comments. I think I've still got the bootleg of that show somewhere. They were pretty lacklustre but it's not like anyone would hold it against them or anybody else all things considered.

I think that this will impact greatly on the tour, but frankly that's the last thing on my mind. And I've got tickets to an upcoming show too. In the grand scheme of things, couldn't care less about the tour. This basically outweighs all other possible personal obstructions that could have happened and they should do what they have to do.

I watched a live conference last night with Toronto Police and they said that the set-up of the stage was done specifically for the show and had began three days prior. Personally, I think the local crew responsible for setting up (and rushing) the stage are mostly at fault here, not the band or their crew.

yes but as a professional rigger you're supposed to inspect the local setup and determine whether its safe or not.

Guys, just saying, don't expect the tour to go on. Maybe we'll get the Fall/Winter dates, but right now, along with all the emotional impact this will have, there is the simple fact that legal action could be taken on either Radiohead, the people in charge of setting up the stage, etc. It really wasn't Radiohead's stuff that caused this, it was the faulty and rushed construction of the stage. But that doesn't mean Radiohead won't get sued, especially because when people with deep pockets are involved with this kind of thing, they get sued. Not to mention equipment (Jonny's corner was crushed; a lot of that will be hard to replace), and they'll probably change the lighting rig now.

And, anyone else find it VERY ironic that Full Stop was debuted pretty much just before this show? :(

i had a weird thought that they were gonna release Full Stop as a single then call it quits the next day. funny you mention that.

and, in regards to RH future, i don't see RH canceling any shows. if they had another Canadien stop this weekend then yes, that would have been cancelled for sure. It's very obvious that for the rest of the tour, and every tour after this one, Scott will be on the minds of RH, crew and fans. but if lighting and getting the right equipment/props for the stage show is what's holding them back from actually performing then I think I speak for every RH fan when i say that it would not ruin the live experience at all. [Not taking anything away from the amazing light/visual show they put on, it's quite beautiful in fact]

---and before someone rips into me, I KNOW they wouldn't actually release Ful Stop as a single then quit. just sharing my thoughts. i feel like that sometimes i need a lawyer with me when i post on here

i had a weird thought that they were gonna release Full Stop as a single then call it quits the next day. funny you mention that.

and, in regards to RH future, i don't see RH canceling any shows. if they had another Canadien stop this weekend then yes, that would have been cancelled for sure. It's very obvious that for the rest of the tour, and every tour after this one, Scott will be on the minds of RH, crew and fans. but if lighting and getting the right equipment/props for the stage show is what's holding them back from actually performing then I think I speak for every RH fan when i say that it would not ruin the live experience at all. [Not taking anything away from the amazing light/visual show they put on, it's quite beautiful in fact]

---and before someone rips into me, I KNOW they wouldn't actually release Ful Stop as a single then quit. just sharing my thoughts. i feel like that sometimes i need a lawyer with me when i post on here

Well, I'm talking about the lyrics.

"You really messed up this time" "All the good times"

It's just so sad to think about. This was their happiest tour yet.

Hi- I've lurked around this board for years and years and years but never had impetus to post anything until now. Just thought I'd share a few thoughts about what some of you have said.

First, I'm just as sad/horrified as everyone over this tragedy. As we all know, accidents do happen, but it does seem that far too many stages have fallen in recent times. It seems inexcusable. In the 80's, Tommy Lee was flying around stadiums on rotating drum kits and nothing happened...somewhere along the way, someone is getting careless and it has to stop.

The greatest likelihood is that it's the local crew rather than the Radiohead crew as when you aren't doing the rig everyday, it isn't as second nature to you....you aren't as familiar with the ins and outs of particular things.

That said, you're still a professional and still must be cautious.

As was the case with the Cheap Trick stage a couple of years ago....it doesn't matter how windy it was that day....that stage SHOULD NOT HAVE FALLEN DOWN! End of.

As for Radiohead getting sued. I guess the family of Scott Johnson of the injured parties could try, though liability could more likely fall on the local crew or the venue.

Remember, they have the GREATEST managers in the world. Literally. Their contracts are going to be iron clad and could very well leave the band in a position to sue as their lives were placed in danger by that stage.

As for canceling the tour for emotional distress...that remains to be seen, though they do have a bit of a break and it would surprise me a bit. I'm sure they will take a ton of caution and perhaps rethink/reconstruct the stage design....triple check the set up with their own crew over and over again.

Regarding the gear that may have been destroyed...that's why tours are insured, and quite frankly, I'm sure it's the least of their concerns.

Thanks for listening to me prattle, lovely to meet you, though, as is often the case, I'm sorry it's under such circumstances.

*hugs*

stine

@norabarnacle

Radiohead wont be sued. This was on federal land, so the ministry of labour will be called in and the park or whomever the supervisor of the event would be responsible, not the band or members of the crew (Radiohead's or the venue)

I'm really sad to hear about this. I was in a bit of a daze after reading about it yesterday, I couldn't help but think about all the "what ifs". My thoughts and condolences go to Scott Johnson's family and friends, the rest of the crew and the band. I can't imagine how sad/shaken everyone must be. Besides time taken for replacing gear and making another lighting rig, I would totally understand if there are more cancellation(s) to cope with this. Someone mentioned the second set of gear from the 2006 tour, I do remember reading that too. So hopefully when everyone's ready, the equipment will be too.

RIP Scott Johnson

Yeah I think it's pretty jerkish to expect friends or family of the crew member to sue Radiohead for something everyone knows is not their fault at all.

That said this is very tragic and I wish it never happened. Hopefully they'll recover from this, and not just to continue the tour.

my step dad knew him (worked with him a few times on the killers tours) but they have a lot of close mutual friends. Lots of stuff on his facebook.. really sad man.

I doubt the rest of the tour will be cancelled, delayed perhaps due to replacing instruments, etc. I don't think Scott would have wanted them to quit the tour like that.

btw, any news on the 45 year old man with the head injury? wonder if it was duncan or plank...

Post on DAS:

Scott

We have all been shattered by the loss of Scott Johnson, our friend and colleague. He was a lovely man, always positive, supportive and funny; a highly skilled and valued member of our great road crew. We will miss him very much. Our thoughts and love are with Scott's family and all those close to him.

Philip

It's nice to see we all have good hearts here. I had posted a comment or two on the Radiohead facebook page. Trolls lots of asshole trolls making fun, and angry insensitive so called fans having a full on hissyfit. Ok, sucks to have missed what would have been an awesome show, sure they're out some money. Life is like that. We all take chances and make decisions daily we can not predicted the outcome. How can these people be so insensitive and ignorant not to realise their equipment is damaged and they couldn't just up and play at another venue last night.

It sure looks like Jonny's equipment was crushed. He must be running the scenario of "that could've been me" over and over. I wonder if any of them slept last night. If I were them, I probably would've gotten crocked, it was too close. You can't blame them for thinking that 'what if', they are human. I'm sure they are very sad that Scott was killed.

I remember seeing a MuchMusic interview of them during the Bends days. Yes a totally different scenario, but they had their instruments ripped off in Colorado. I think they had to cancel a show or two, but then went on as soon as they replaced them. Please don't think this statement is even anywhere close to what happened yesterday. I just don't see them giving up and stopping. I do however see them super hesitant to get under that stage setup again. I'm sure if any of you were watching the live stream of the Coachella show, you saw the screen above theirs heads swaying in the breeze that night. I was frankly kind of freaked out about it. Thinking, please let them be safe and not have those come down on them. Even though I bet those screens are as light as our flat screen tv's nowadays, enough of them along with the rigging that makes them move, and with the top front light panels would be combined weight that would stress a set up that wasn't safely put together. Sorry for stating the obvious.

I haven't seen them this tour, but have enjoying all the wonderful videos you all have posted on youtube and photos on all the Radiohead forums. I hate to think they would call it a day on this tour. I believe they will reassess, get all in order and start again. I just think they may reschedule a couple of shows. They enjoy what they do too much. They also love their fans. It's one of the many things we all love about them. How dedicated they are to all of us.

Sorry I have gone on and on about this. I've been a bit depressed about it all. RIP Scott.

Radiohead will do what is right for them.

theyre not even out tht much money i mean theyre getting a refund and if theyre pissed about gas/hotel money then freakin hav fun its toronto! wish i was in toronto. they should be glad theyre not stuck in some shit hole like kansas city for no real reason

This is aweful...I can't stop having little chills of anxiety over it. It's so terrible that they have to go through this, what an unexpected way of losing someone.

Though, I have high levels of paranoia and when I first saw the set up live, I remember saying that I didn't like the idea of having those giant screens hanging on top of their heads...

i'd think if they were gonna cancel the rest of the tour they would have done it today since it's only what, 2 weeks till the next show? but maybe not.

I think they got back home yesterday(today for some). Tomorrow, they're probably gonna meet up with their management and crew. The possibilty of them having another lighting rig in Europe is possible, though not the major concern here. The band and crew must be in shock. And the fear of going back on stage must be there somewhere...in their head, big or small. Anyway, we'll know soon enough... As you said, we're only 2 weeks till the next leg of the tour...

Anyway, it makes me sad. Why did such bad luck had to fall on a band like Radiohead. Not that I wish this to any band, but I'll never understand this... hmmm... justice. It one word, it sucks. Big Time.

My thoughts go to the family and friends of Scott. Rest in peace. I think we've lost a nice guy in you yesterday, from what I read, and that's really unfortunate.