Merge the Forums

pennyroyalty

you can't do away with Yr Art. merging it with another forum would kill it. put any one of those threads into another forum like Music or Gen Chat and it gets swallow'd up, lost. i can understand merging the RH forums, and maybe Sports or Arts or even Moving Pics, but you move Yr Art and you hurt the forum. the community there is small, but it is its own entity. it needs sovereignty to be able to function correctly.

as someone who uses Yr Art a lot, i don't care if it's slow-moving. i'm guessing other people who use it don't care either. i'm seeing lots of people in this thread who don't even use the forum talk about merging it away, and honestly i think their opinions are worth nothing. if you don't use it, then you don't know.

it doesn't get much traffic, but it gets enough. mixing it with other forums isn't gonna increase it's exposure. people who want to see/hear other MT'ers art will go to Yr Art. it needs to be easy for them to do so. it would be too much work to have to sift through a bunch of other faster moving music threads just to find a topic on someone's new EP that only has 5 posts.

if the lack of mod in that forum is an issue, then let me do it. i've been a mod before remembere? obviously i care enough about that place to do a good job modding it.

yea exactly. if you made a thread in other music about your art it would get swallowed down the list really fast. In YA it sits around for a while and gives time for people to listen critically and all that.

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yea exactly. if you made a thread in other music about your art it would get swallowed down the list really fast. In YA it sits around for a while and gives time for people to listen critically and all that.

this argument can easily apply to any of the specialty forums.

im going to say one more thing - you guys that want these forums merged don't seem to have much at stake in any of them. or you think that people should do everything the way that you do yourself. there are plenty of people at this board who actually devote some time and effort to things they say in current events, or other music, or your art, or sports. people that only want to participate in intelligent discussion in the current events forum are not going to hang around waiting for some topic to pop up in general that they might want to join. i know people who claim they only come to this board to read and post in the sports forum. they won't do that if they have to dig for those topics through mounds of general shit. i think its pretty unfair of some of you to be so willing to trash areas of the board, just because you don't see the value of participating in those areas yourselves. and i've seen boards try to do this before, streamline forums down to just a few general ones. unless its a mega huge board like hipinion or something it doesn't work. people lose interest, cuz they're always sifting through the shit topics to have anything of value to discuss. everything else is just banter, and it gets old. fast.

anyways, obviously i'm not in favor of messing with the off topic side too much.

i've been here, consistently, longer than any of you. new people come and go. some of you guys that joined on the first day are still here but you've gone through periods where you left for months, sometimes years. i've been here basically all the time. i consider this message board to be my online home. and if you guys trash my board, i swear to gawd . . . . *shakes fist*

weird... this type of talk is going on on at ease too (but more so here!)

i think it is just sign of the times.... radiohead isn't bringing in as many new fans ... maybe message boards are less popular?

it does bother me sometimes how boards have too many damn specialized forums... like where does it end? ... you ever seen boards with like 50 subforums? it's insane... i know on at ease getting a fucking FOOD FORUM or a SCIENCE&PHILOSOPHY ( :lol: ) or a CELEB BRIT TEASE sub-forum (?!!!) was just so damn stupid... too many radiohead-related forums

but no one can damn agree on what to change / get rid of

yet so easy back in the day for new / un-needed extra forums to be made?

it IS amusing looking back at at ease 2001/2/3 and the few amount of forums and how it just grew and grew ... more and more added on...

i mean i myself HATE the sports & news forums on at ease but yeah if they were gone i'd always frickin see them in genchat or whatever

but i see them anyways cuz on both that board and this one i do the VIEW ALL NEW POSTS option...

there's no way to make everyone happy

might as well just leave shit as it is...

just wish i could go back in time and NOT have certain subby forums started

FOOD FORUM :lol:

what!

why not an ANIMAL FORUM

or an ADULT FORUM

and of course ze fASHion florum!

:wub:

you guys are living in the stone ages, you guys want a file manager, you guys suffer from a lack of vision. nowadays we use goddamn meta-data and filters (maybe you've heard of a little thing called macOS, iOS, apple computers, etc etcetc).

we need a new system. a dynamic system. we can have one all-encompassing forum and use filters that use thread categories and tags to sort the forum however we like. give the user the power to create whatever MT experience he or she desires. eg, i want to view "FOOD" related threads in the "GENERAL" category.

"welcome to MT, where do you want to go today?"

im going to say one more thing - you guys that want these forums merged don't seem to have much at stake in any of them. or you think that people should do everything the way that you do yourself. there are plenty of people at this board who actually devote some time and effort to things they say in current events, or other music, or your art, or sports. people that only want to participate in intelligent discussion in the current events forum are not going to hang around waiting for some topic to pop up in general that they might want to join. i know people who claim they only come to this board to read and post in the sports forum. they won't do that if they have to dig for those topics through mounds of general shit. i think its pretty unfair of some of you to be so willing to trash areas of the board, just because you don't see the value of participating in those areas yourselves. and i've seen boards try to do this before, streamline forums down to just a few general ones. unless its a mega huge board like hipinion or something it doesn't work. people lose interest, cuz they're always sifting through the shit topics to have anything of value to discuss. everything else is just banter, and it gets old. fast.

anyways, obviously i'm not in favor of messing with the off topic side too much.

i've been here, consistently, longer than any of you. new people come and go. some of you guys that joined on the first day are still here but you've gone through periods where you left for months, sometimes years. i've been here basically all the time. i consider this message board to be my online home. and if you guys trash my board, i swear to gawd . . . . *shakes fist*

eat my butt, cindy

to be honest i don't care, turn the whole forum upside down i'll post!

you guys are living in the stone ages, you guys want a file manager, you guys suffer from a lack of vision. nowadays we use goddamn meta-data and filters (maybe you've heard of a little thing called macOS, iOS, apple computers, etc etcetc).

we need a new system. a dynamic system. we can have one all-encompassing forum and use filters that use thread categories and tags to sort the forum however we like. give the user the power to create whatever MT experience he or she desires. eg, i want to view "FOOD" related threads in the "GENERAL" category.

"welcome to MT, where do you want to go today?"

honestly this is a really good idea, like if we had a curated list of tags corresponding to basically the main forums list today plus more things like food that we really do need which would be easier to implement there . and then if a thread could belong in multiple forums you could also multiple tag them aka the SOPA example that was just brought up i mean it could really have been CE, CG, or OM even so tag it with all 3 you know. i dont really see the GC argument there but w/e. so instead of moderating by moving threads to the correct forum, moderators would just have to edit the tags list or something .

problem would be that it would take an entire forum overhaul to put this into effect not to mention tagging of all previous threads if they weren't just done away with all together. i mean it just sounds like a logistical nightmare unfortunately. but ihggy is quite the visionary

yeh, categories would basically be "forums" and would be curated by the mods. i like the idea of giving users the power to decide their own tags, but i understand that could get dicey/annoying quickly in the wrong hands. but still worth it. there would definitely need to be a hard limit on tags, maybe 2-3max. you'd have the ability to filter based on tags, categories, or both. that way we wouldn't necessarily need like a "food" forum, it would be easy enough to just access all the food-tagged threads, regardless of what category they're in. like there's a thread abt monsanto or some food-related legislation in CE, or a recipes thread in GC, or a health-food thread in SHR, then youd get them all with a search about food (or you wouldnt see them at all if you didn't care abt health food and just were looking in CE threads). two layers of filtering would be quite powerful.

if i had any development skills i would be writing this forum software right now.

the problem is getting people to actually tag their threads, which i think would not happen very often

what you really need to do as you develop this software is allow it to intelligently auto-tag threads for the user. then we're really cooking

excellent point. i had made the mistake of forgetting about how non-power-users might use the software. auto-tagging would be brilliant.

can we actually split it into s&r and have health topics fall in the purview of gc? weird that under the current rules a healthy eating thread would be in a different forum than a recipes thread, and that said healthy eating thread would be next to the masturbation thread.