filmfanb

Big Vs Small venues

My partner and I have been having a bit of a discussion about Radiohead recently.

He used to love them back in the day and even knew Jonny Greenwood for a few years but lost touch. (seen pretty cool pictures) The last time he saw them was in a big open park but before that he used to see them in small, indoor venues. Since seeing them at a bigger venue he has refused to go see them again because he thinks it doesnt match the atmosphere they create.

Sadly he is a few albums behind and barely listened to KID A or anything onwards (he is 47 and is obsessed with OK Computer to the point of not wanting to leave that era of Radiohead in fear of the latter stuffing ruining his love for what they did)

Anyway, we have this tour happening, big venues. I have only seen them in big venues/parks but would love to see them do a smaller, indoor , theater style gig. There have been limited smaller venue gigs a few years ago but I would love to see them in a smaller capacity theater with an intimate surrounding.

That said, I cant ignore their sprawling sound taking over whatever space they are in. Be it a theatre or a park or a arena ...etc....

Love to know your thoughts.

personally i prefer smaller venues - because they are more intimate and often you are surrounded by people who actually genuinely love the artist rather than just some people who won free tickets or whatever. And plus you have a better view of band even if you are sitting/standing at the back.

But bigger venue means bigger crowd - which may be a good thing for some people, and there are probably better sound systems and visual effects.

I would love to see them at the Fox Theater in Atlanta instead of Philips Arena, but they would have had to do like 3 shows there cause tickets would be impossible

and they would still be impossible cuz plenty of douches would probably buy tickets to all three

but yeah that would be a good compromise, not tinytiny but still intimate enough. i saw modest mouse from literally the top tier and i saw everything really well still

would love that

I think a small venue would be great, but beggers can't be choosers.

that's cool about your bf and Jonny.

There story is better than them knowing each other but I think he is taking the piss. Lets just say, he claims to have "hit that"

The real question is, will you be pissed off if they don't play Creep?

The only gig I went to they played creep, fucking annoying.

Actually Radiohead are only playing small shows now, they hate big shows.

I would like them to play olympic stadium (80,000 capacity), or even Acer Arena (21,000) but in Sydney they are only playing Sydney Entertainment centre (12,000) after not touring here in Australia for 8 years.

I would love it if they played huge shows so I would have a chance to get tickets

Santa Barbara is the smallest, i'm pretty sure. I feel very fortunate to be going to that show and Bonnaroo. I told myself no less than 2 INDOOR shows this tour and wound up with 2 outdoor. Go figure. It will be pretty cool to see how those crowds differ since there is about 75,000 people difference. So needless to say I'm not too hung up about the outdoor vs. indoor thing. It's all about the energy we give to the band. On another note...it would be really awesome if everyone would just put their cameras and phones away and lose their shit. I WILL be dancing my ass off at these shows and I would like to feel comfortable doing so.

Santa Barbara is the smallest, i'm pretty sure. I feel very fortunate to be going to that show and Bonnaroo. I told myself no less than 2 INDOOR shows this tour and wound up with 2 outdoor. Go figure. It will be pretty cool to see how those crowds differ since there is about 75,000 people difference. So needless to say I'm not too hung up about the outdoor vs. indoor thing. It's all about the energy we give to the band. On another note...it would be really awesome if everyone would just put their cameras and phones away and lose their shit. I WILL be dancing my ass off at these shows and I would like to feel comfortable doing so.

Dang, you're right! I was only thinking about the first shows that were announced. I forgot about the West Coast dates. Man that Santa Barbara Bowl looks beautiful. I wish I was going!

Sounds excellent. I'm doing SB Bowl and then Coachella Weekend 1, so the contrast should be interesting.

Actually Radiohead are only playing small shows now, they hate big shows.

I would like them to play olympic stadium (80,000 capacity), or even Acer Arena (21,000) but in Sydney they are only playing Sydney Entertainment centre (12,000) after not touring here in Australia for 8 years.

I would love it if they played huge shows so I would have a chance to get tickets

That's a nice mid-sized place, how is the sound there? I have a seated ticket for Tuesday there.

Do you know anything about the Melbourne or Brisbane venues?

i've seen them at coachella, the greek theatre, and the hollywood bowl, so large, small and mid-sized.

of the three the small greek theatre was the best show, most enjoyable time i had. it was also the most expensive show i saw, cuz tickets sold out so fast, i had to buy from scalpers. but everything about the show was magical, every spot in the venue was good, the atmosphere was wonderful, and i just had the best time.

festivals like coachella are huge, and not very comfortable between the crowd mashing everyone and the insane heat and standing pretty much all fucking day long - so many people got carried out from heat exhaustion and i was kind of afraid i might be one but managed to hang on, but you do get to see lots of good performers throughout the day. in spite of the discomfort, i was feeling pretty euphoric by the time rh took the stage. i just don't think i'm fit enough to do that again any time soon.

hollywood bowl was easily the worst live concert experience of my life, mostly due to the people around me and the fact that my seats were shit - way too far back, and any view of the stage (including screens) was completely blotted out by idiots who kept jumping up and dancing, even though they knew that like 10 rows of people behind them couldn't see because of them. if i had got a seat within the first 25 or so rows it probably would have been fine.

The show at the Tampa Bay Times Forum didn't even sell out so you could say it was more intimate than expected, with just under 12,000 people.

Big acts come to Tampa,FaiL all the time and don't sell out. Sometimes this place is so pathetic. This was a newly renovated hockey arena but the stage seemed kind of cramped and the chairs were definitely cramped. But it sounded good in there. I think the casual fans took a pass on this tour, so what we had was a group of central florida's biggest RH fans in attendance. Which was great because it was definitely a fun atmosphere. Yes, there was a lot of dancing. Maybe it was because the crowd was such a core fan group, or maybe TKOL is just great to dance to. It's almost impossible to get Tampa music fans out of their chairs, but they did for that show.

When they were here for the IR tour they played an outdoor amphitheater and I think there were over 17,000 people for that one and it didn't sell out either. I didn't care for the venue or the crowd but the show was good and sounded good too. This most recent concert with the smaller crowd in the arena was my favorite by far.