ro32xx

TKOL - 1 Year On

That has EVERYTHING to do with it - sadly, a lot of people will be put off by that first listen and very quickly dismiss it. That is the case with a large proportion of Radohead's output post OKC. The vast majority of TKOL (arguably all of it with the exception of Lotus Flower) is less than immediate to MOST of the public, ie its not the instant quick-fix pop crap which clogs up the charts nowadays which people pass off as music. Not however to the majority of the people on this forum of course because most of us have at least half-decent taste in music and can appreciate quality when we hear it..

tkol strikes me as easy listening in some ways, in that it's not very intense or in-your-face.

I totally agree but then again I still maintain that the average Radiohead fan is much more open and receptive to the more, shall we say, "challenging" types of music than most people are - they wouldn't be Radiohead fans otherwise. I remember spending literally months stuggling with large chunks of Amnesiac before eventually falling in love with it - but it took a great many hours listening before I "got" it.

TKOL was certainly a whole lot easier (and faster) to digest so yes, its definately a more accessible record in many ways.

It certainly isn't Can, that's for sure...

Having said that if I played Feral or Codex or Bloom to the majority of my friends they would undoubtedly cover their ears / fall asleep / run like hell and tell me I'm crazy.

Not however to the majority of the people on this forum of course because most of us have at least half-decent taste in music and can appreciate quality when we hear it..

Well yeah that's my point. We're Radiohead fans and have been listening to their radio unfriendly music for over a decade. The problem I have with this album is that it just sounds a little uninspired a lot of the time. Not entirely, Lotus Flower and Bloom for example are brilliant, but Codex, while pretty, sounds a little insincere to me, and MMM just isn't good enough full stop to be on a RH album, at least not in that capacity. All my own opinion, obviously.

TAMTW-8/10

Bloom- 10/10

MMM- 7/10

LBL- 8/10

Feral- 9/10

LF - 10/10

Codex- 10/10

GUTG- 9/10

Sep- 10/10

Supercollider: 7/10

Butcher: 10/10

Daily Mail: 7.5/10

Staircase: 10/10

dats dat

MMM just isn't good enough full stop to be on a RH album, at least not in that capacity. All my own opinion, obviously.

MMM seems to get a lot of flack really.

Does anyone else think it's the best track on the album like me, or right up there?

I wouldn't change one aspect of it.

Does anyone else think it's the best track on the album like me, or right up there?

A lot of times you have to be in the right mood to let the full brilliance of a RH song enter you. I didn't like MMM for a long time, it was just an alright riff that went on endlessly. But one night, I blasted it on some great speakers, I mean I really let that shit rumble and explode, and it just blew me away. I love the riff now.

Also, I think Codex is one of the most beautiful songs they've ever done. I was numb and in a lot of physical pain when I first listened to it, and the song really seeped into me the way no other song did. Listening to it now, it always takes me back to the same place. It captures this sense of an un-easy calm and serenity after something adrenaline-fueled or traumatic.

Whoever said it doesn't seem sincere, has a problem.

TKOL IS different for me to the other RH albums in that it has 3 songs I'm still not totally sure how I feel. Namely MMM, LBL and especially GUTG.

These songs are great sometimes and then really irritate me to death when I play them again. In ANOTHER year (or 2) I may absolutely adore all of them but at the moment my reaction to them is extremely variable and I'm often underwhelmed for some reason. I used to think the webcast version of MMM was far superior to the final TKOL version but my opinion is slowly changing on that one. LBL is an interesting song but lyrically its very poor indeed. GUTG is nice but it doesn't grab me in the way Codex does. I think the rest of the album is phenomenal though!

Happy bday TKOL!!!! :-D

this is the first time I can say this to a RH album!!!

Im so happy haha... no one on my family understands my excitemente...

since this thread appeared only LBL doesnt get me yet...

sometimes i really can feel that drums and the bass but the lyrics and the catchy chorus meh...

:dancingthom:

feral- 10/10

that bass line= eargasm.

and btw, its not instrumental.

it has lyrics about killing jews if you listen closely.

thats why it called feral- it shows the feral side of humanity.

write down those lyrics u said please...

Like all their albums this took awhile to grow on me. This is def not their best, but it is far from the worst either. Their are no unlistenable tracks on the album, morning mr. magpie and lotus flower are my favorites. I think the live from the basement show did these songs a lot more justice though.