chai

Most skilled member of the band

52 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the most skilled member of Radiohead?

Could anyone really say who is the most skilled member? Every member has all kinds of skills that we don't even know about.

I mean, since op never specificied if this is just supposed to be discussing musical skill or not.

Maybe Ed is a whiz at origami, is an accomplished pastry chef, has a pilot's license, is a certified scuba diver, a master of tae kwon do, an amazing caricaturist, and a dog whisperer in addition to being guitarist/tambourine player/able to sculpt hair into bacon strip.

i'm sure everybody immediately will say jonny but i think jonny's main strength is that he's so adventurous and plays a lot of different things. i don't know if that means he really plays all those things exceptionally well, or better than anyone else in the band plays their instrument. obviously he's really good at guitar. personally, i think ed is really good at guitar too, though it seems he is happier to play a more background role, and obviously as they have songs with much less focus on guitar, 3 guitarists aren't always necessary, so he branches out, of necessity perhaps. i've also been impressed with thom's guitar playing ability. so - 3 really good guitarists, one of whom is extremely adventurous. also, i believe i read years and years ago that jonny was the only one that could actually read music, but i don't know if that was true or was just press, and it also may not be true anymore. i think that was said in some interview where they were talking to thom about him learning to play piano, and he was being very modest and saying he couldn't play well, and couldn't read music. well, his piano sounds pretty good to me.

but anyways, all this is leading me to say that on the last album particularly, i spent most of my time admiring colin & phil's work - love a good rhythm section and they are a great rhythm section. do i think they're more skilled than anyone else in the band? no.

i'm sure everybody immediately will say jonny but i think jonny's main strength is that he's so adventurous and plays a lot of different things. i don't know if that means he really plays all those things exceptionally well, or better than anyone else in the band plays their instrument. obviously he's really good at guitar. personally, i think ed is really good at guitar too, though it seems he is happier to play a more background role, and obviously as they have songs with much less focus on guitar, 3 guitarists aren't always necessary, so he branches out, of necessity perhaps. i've also been impressed with thom's guitar playing ability. so - 3 really good guitarists, one of whom is extremely adventurous. also, i believe i read years and years ago that jonny was the only one that could actually read music, but i don't know if that was true or was just press, and it also may not be true anymore. i think that was said in some interview where they were talking to thom about him learning to play piano, and he was being very modest and saying he couldn't play well, and couldn't read music. well, his piano sounds pretty good to me.

but anyways, all this is leading me to say that on the last album particularly, i spent most of my time admiring colin & phil's work - love a good rhythm section and they are a great rhythm section. do i think they're more skilled than anyone else in the band? no.

i see that you voted for colin, nonetheless :P

cinders i could kiss you

Isn't reading music a skill?

Being adventurous means he branches out into other techniques and styles that most musicians don't or can't, and he succeeds... isn't that a skill?

I understand people's love for putting Colin and Ed on the same pedestal as Thom or Jonny, but the question isn't "who is the most skilled at their instrument". Being able to play a variety of instruments is a skill. Song-writing is a skill. Making arrangements is a skill.

Jonny playing guitar AND the keyboard simultaneously on Street Spirit is a huge freaking skill that honestly I don't know if any of the other band members have. It's ridiculous to say the most skilled member is anyone other than Thom or Jonny, quite frankly.

Colin, Ed, and Phil are replaceable. You can find guys with the same skill-set and Radiohead would still sound like Radiohead.

Colin as replaceable? He was one of the original masterminds behind Radiohead and remains one of the most creative bass players in popular music today. If you think you could replace Colin and still have the same Radiohead, I suggest you watch some live videos of WIEAYB, HOC, Seperator, Kid A, IMBW, etc.

This thread is a silly idea.

They are all skilled on different, incomparable dimensions. The very notion that one of them can be "more skilled" is teenage.

Well, maybe the dimensions are comparable, but certainly not in the way they're being compared here.

And yes, Radiohead would necessarily sound different if any member was replaced.

Jonny is the most adept musician and the most prolific but Thom is also wildly creative and diversely influenced. He admits to being a cheap pianist by using a lot of 'pedal points' and reverb (and on his voice too, lets be honest anyone can sound like god when you give them aural halos). But he's still a fantastic songwriter and emotional singer as well as a diverse instrumentalist. Colin only strays from bass to keyboard infrequently but his basslines are absolutely indispensable to RH. It's not about the skill set so much as the musical wisdom to do things like revolve an A6+9 chord over HTDC's DM/Bm overtones, or to rhythmically run in between hiding spots in a rocker like Airbag. Phil has been developing a rhythmic voice since 2000 and is now too characteristic of their overall sound to replace easily (although Clive Deamer seems to fit seamlessly). The same goes for Ed except his trademark is being minimal. He's classically trained, just the least present part of RH. I don't think any of them are replaceable at this point