Do you wish Radiohead would make guitar music again?

49 members have voted

1. 1. Do you wish Radiohead would make guitar music again?

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Every Radiohead album bar half of Kid A is god-damn 'guitar album'. Why do people care what the instruments are? Music is just organised sound that provokes an emotion, the music they make will be the same whether they use guitars or electronics or whatever, the sound will just have a different timbre.

I guess it just makes a difference to some of us. I personally like Bloom more with guitars (FTB) than the studio version. I definitely respect both, but one has more energy. And while you could argue that the studio version could be tweaked to have just as much energy as the live version, it just seems like that's a consequence of the arrangement. So, in that sense, I can't shake the feeling that guitar-based compositions lead to more energetic compositions, even if the notes are the exact same.

I am starting to concede a little bit, though--especially given babydoctor's arguments. There are some songs recently which were originally arranged solely for guitar and made better with other instruments taking the onus of the melody (Lotus Flower and Staircase come to mind). And there are songs where, although I love their guitar parts, were more interesting as musical ideas before guitars were introduced (I'm thinking Ether Festival Arpeggi here... Hell, you could even say this about Bloom I guess). Doesn't mean I don't want to see more songs like TAMTW and whatnot surface (and with more frequency).

just admit that you're filler fans. it's okay

Lol. I so hope this is a joke. Kid A was by far my favorite album at the time. Now, probably In Rainbows and HTTT. TKOL is fine, just too short to satisfy me, but I do love Bloom, Lotus Flower, and GUTG quite a lot (and Staircase is the best thing since WIEAYB, which I loved). So.. Again, can't really claim that we're not true fans just because we like guitars. For me, it's not that I want The Bends Part 2, I just want Radiohead With Guitars: The 2012 Collection.

Every Radiohead album bar half of Kid A is god-damn 'guitar album'. Why do people care what the instruments are? Music is just organised sound that provokes an emotion, the music they make will be the same whether they use guitars or electronics or whatever, the sound will just have a different timbre.

thank god you came in and defined music for us

Unless of course the bends is all you like. In which case you can respectfully GTFO

That's bullshit too. At one point all Radiohead fans only had Pablo Honey. Then at one point they only had Pablo Honey and The Bends.

So I don't see why it's a problem if someone likes the Bends. If you became a fan of Radiohead because of the Bends, then why the fuck not?

yes and no... somehow when guitars are chosen as the 'treated instrument' and put through a lot of effects to not sound like guitars, i tend to think this would sound better being something else-why not an orchestra or orchestral instrument as they have tons more depth than effected guitars.

still waiting for jonny's ability as a composer to really come through with some orchestra in the front.

but we all like the 'guitar music' if you want to call it that. tkol would have sounded better with less guitars however, i like the album but notice its kind of flat when listening after another album..guitars are quite a flat sounding instrument if used in this way..

Codex does have guitar in it. So does Feral. If live performances are in any way similar to the techniques used to created the noises in the album versions, than it's definite that both of those songs use guitars.

Bloom is the only TKOL song that I can say doesn't use guitars.

Also, I think that they never left rock music. Come To Your Senses is going to be a rock song, that much we know for certain. Live renditions of current songs such as MMM point towards a more rocky direction. And, really, Radiohead has never made an album devoid of guitar. Kid A has Optimistic and In Limbo. Amnesiac has Knives Out, I Might Be Wrong. I"d go as far to say that guitar is Radiohead's most important instrument. Sure, they focus on percussion a lot these days, but that doesn't mean that guitar is important wherever it is found. Especially in TKOL. Imagine Separator without guitar. Or GUTG, or LBL, or MMM. Guitar is still extremely important to Radiohead; they're just bored of a traditional rock sound.

And, the next batch of music is going to be how they want it to sound. We can never predict how exactly a new song will sound, because their vision of a song shifts so often.

So I don't see why it's a problem if someone likes the Bends. If you became a fan of Radiohead because of the Bends, then why the fuck not?

lol don't be a dipshit. There's nothing wrong with liking a a great album. It's just funny how a lot of people still come into radiohead with the bends and ponder why they hardly resemble that band anymore.

Jonny mentioned that during the recording of TKOL he fell in love with the guitar again and started to see it as a whole new instrument. It will be interesting to see if that manifests itself at all on the next album/ep that we get from the band.

I thought he said that in regard to in rainbows? do you have a link of that interview?

Jonny mentioned that during the recording of TKOL he fell in love with the guitar again and started to see it as a whole new instrument. It will be interesting to see if that manifests itself at all on the next album/ep that we get from the band.

That's odd because I don't hear very much of it on The king of limbs. Maybe he should listen to Joe Strummer.

The Bends is pure woefull genius. :10:

1. Planet Telex.

Absolute best sounding song ever recorded. It is sung with pure raw emotion. I have never heard anything sound so brilliant.

2. The Bends.

This song has some of the best guitar playing ever. The guitar solo is what makes this song incredible. Guitars in full force.

3. High And Dry.

It's hard to describe how good this song really is. The acoustic guitar playing is perfection. You can tell this band are talented from the guitar work.

4. Fake Plastic Trees.

Thom's falsetto voice is at it's best in this song.

5. Bones.

When you get to feel it in your bones.

6. Nice Dream.

Best lyrics and violins ever. Love this song.

7. Just

This song has some of the best guitar playing in history. Most live versions are brilliant.

8. My Iron Lung.

This is a rockier/alternative song.

9. Bulletproof

Mellow guitar. :jonny2:

10. Black Star.

One of the best songs from The London Astoria 1994.

11. Sulk.

One of the best radiohead songs ever.

12. Street Spirit.

This song is a stand-out and incredible.

I thought he said that in regard to in rainbows? do you have a link of that interview?

No. It was in some Belgian magazine and someone posted translated tidbits on atease.

There is a new interview with Jonny Greenwood in the Belgian magazine "Focus Knack", a mag about culture, music, film, art,... It's mostly about his Norwegian Wood- score, but he also said some interesting Radiohead- related things. I will not translate the whole article (a bit too long for that), but I'll post the most interesting things below.

- When Tran Anh Hung asked Jonny to compose this score, Jonny refused because he was busy with the new Radiohead- album (tkol). Only when Hung kept asking him, he agreed.

- Jonny's fondness of film scores is partly a result of the fact that he was searching for the boundaries of pop music with Radiohead.

- After spending so much time with classical music, Jonny fell in love with the guitar again. It almost feels like a brand new instrument when working in the studio with the band. The members of Radiohead used to be scared of real musicians because they're not classicaly educated and you don't write pop songs on paper.

- You hear trumpets and strings on The King of Limbs, and they'll definitively use more types of classical instruments in the future.

- It's not Jonny's fault the King of Limbs took 3 years to make. "If you think I'm the difficult one of the band, you're wrong. Thom is the perfectionist. If it was up to me, we'd bring out a new Radiohead- album every year. But maybe it's good Thom deliberates everything that long. The albums don't get worse because of it."

- In writing a song, Thom normally gives the conversion. He writes the lyrics or half the song and the rest complement it.