The Strange Noise in The Gloaming

Stamos6669

What exactly is Ed doing to make that strange noise at 2:26 here in The Gloaming (Saitama):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XB470fFc1c

You get a rare glimpse of his pedalboard as he's making the noise at 2:40, holding two different pedals but I can't make out what they are. Is this a sample? I get the feeling that Ed being the pedal maestro he is, that he made the sound from the pedals and not from some computerized sample or whatnot.

We also hear another version of this noise in the Live From the Basement vid.

Anyone have any idea what this could be?

There should be a thread dedicated just to how we can make sweet Ed O'Brien noises!

as seen in Ideoteque live, he's playing guitar soundlessly, and very precisely, and later unleashes that crazy noise you always hear in Ideoteque. This is most notable in the SNL performance.

so my guess is that the original noise is guitar generated, then mutated who knows how through pedals, and unleashed at that point. also yes, I've always thought Ed should do a pedals lesson DVD or something.

• 2 weeks later...

It's really funny he's doing it this way, any other guy would just generate those sounds with boring synths 'n shit.

Not really. Look at Sonic Youth, Lou Reed, Nels Cline, Christopher Willits, Karlheinz Essl, or probably my favourite, Ronald Jones! Ed's class at it, but he's not the only one.

Not really. Look at Sonic Youth, Lou Reed, Nels Cline, Christopher Willits, Karlheinz Essl, or probably my favourite, Ronald Jones! Ed's class at it, but he's not the only one.

Um, ok he might not the only person on earth doing it and of course not the first one but still, the big majority wont do it like this wich was kinda my point.