Wow, The Bends B-Sides are incredible!

I call it ''Permanent Daylight''. I think it could have been an album between The Bends and OK Computer. Not refined and polished like those two albums but something sprawling with lots of filler but in a good way, like Pavement's stuff that has a care free and fun vibe. Anyway, I think it's a really good listen.

Here's the tracklist, maybe I'll do some slight tweaking here and there later but I like how this flows for now.

1.Lewis (Mistreated)

2.Killer Cars

3.India Rubber

4.Maquiladora

5.How Can You Be Sure

6.Lift

7.Punchdrunk Lovesick Singalong

8.You Never Wash Up After Yourself

9.Talk Show Host

10.Molasses

11.Bishop’s Robes

12.The Trickster

13.Banana Co.

14.Lozenge Of Love

15.Permanent Daylight

So try it out and tell me what you think!

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's pretty interesting. I made a similar playlist with basically the same beginning and end, just switched around a bit.

Haha that's pretty cool! I guess they're just good openers and closers.

which version of Lift are you using? Pinkpop 96?

Yup, won't really count as Bends era if it wasn't. I kinda wanted to stick True Love Waits in there as well but didn't because of this.

this is actually really fucking similar to mine when i was listening to a dedicated the bends b-sides playlist - right down to it closing with permanent daylight and being called "permanent daylight". i put maquilladora second i think but i'm pretty sure i also opened with lewis mistreated.

this is my early b-sides playlist - i eventually started cutting songs from my bends b-sides playlist and started adding the ph and okc b-sides to it.

01 You Never Wash Up After Yourself

02 Pearly*

03 Maquilladora

04 Bishop's Robes

05 Meeting In the Aisle

06 Palo Alto

07 Polyethylene (Parts 1 & 2)

08 Melatonin

09 Talk Show Host

10 Punchdrunk Lovesick Singalong

11 Permanent Daylight

12 Coke Babies

13 Lozenge of Love

14 Lull

15 The Trickster

16 A Reminder

17 How I Made My Millions

just as hard if not harder to sequence, though. i'm still thinking of cutting a few songs to tighten it up a bit.

I think the bends should have been ordered like this:

1. Planet Telex

2. High and Dry

3. Fake Plastic Trees

4. Talk Show Host

5. (Nice Dream)

6. Just

7. Bulletproof

8. Black Star

9. The Trickster

10. Permanent Daylight

11. Street Spirit (Fade Out)

this is actually really fucking similar to mine when i was listening to a dedicated the bends b-sides playlist - right down to it closing with permanent daylight and being called "permanent daylight". i put maquilladora second i think but i'm pretty sure i also opened with lewis mistreated.

this is my early b-sides playlist - i eventually started cutting songs from my bends b-sides playlist and started adding the ph and okc b-sides to it.

Haha that's great how alot of us in here have similar playlists! And as for calling it ''Permanent Daylight'', I found it described the feel the playlist created perfectly.

And this new one looks interesting, will give it a try.

1. Planet Telex

2. High and Dry

3. Fake Plastic Trees

4. Talk Show Host

5. (Nice Dream)

6. Just

7. Bulletproof

8. Black Star

9. The Trickster

10. Permanent Daylight

1. Planet Telex

2. The Bends

3. Permanent Daylight

4. Fake Plastic Trees

5. (Nice Dream)

6. Just

7. Maquiladora

8. My Iron Lung

9. Talk Show Host

10. Bullet Proof...I Wish I Was

11. Black Star

12. Street Spirit (Fade Out)

That's how I listen to it.

these playlists are fuckin' awesome. wish I had the idea. I think I could go straight for the OP's, but maybe I should customize mine just a bit.

1. Planet Telex

2. High and Dry

3. Fake Plastic Trees

4. Talk Show Host

5. (Nice Dream)

6. Just

7. Bulletproof

8. Black Star

9. The Trickster

10. Permanent Daylight

why did you save High and Dry? looks like a 'darker' playlist, and High and Dry's still in the first 1-2 attempt at a punch?

why did you save High and Dry? looks like a 'darker' playlist, and High and Dry's still in the first 1-2 attempt at a punch?

because I really like High and Dry, but yeah I can definitely see how it stands out a little in the playlist. I don't know, I just felt like I needed a song in between planet telex and fake plastic trees, and The Bends (song) really annoys me. If you want to retain the (for lack of a better word) dark feel, replace High and Dry with Killer Cars or maybe Punchdrunk Lovesick Singalong, I think that works.

I used to have a sprawling "disc 2" to run after The Bends with all the studio B-sides, but I determined that the most pleasing way to listen to this fabulous era of Radiohead is an album and two satellite EPs. The My Iron Lung singles work well as a group of songs, and I like how the band ordered them, so they make a nice first disc much as they preceded The Bends in actuality. Some of the transitions are best tightened up, but that's to be expected given how many of the B-sides were released without accounting for the dead silence at the end of them mucking with the transition to a potential next track.

This is how I've found all the songs to flow best:

Disc One

1. Killer Cars (fast version)

2. The Trickster

3. Punchdrunk Lovesick Singalong

4. Lozenge of Love

5. High and Dry (the transition from "The Bends" to "Fake Plastic Trees" works better without this albatross of a track; hell, even Thom hates it, but it works here.)

6. Lewis (Mistreated)

7. Permanent Daylight

8. You Never Wash Up After Yourself

Disc Two

The Bends in order in its entirety, minus "High and Dry"

Disc Three

1. Maquiladora

2. Banana Co.

3. Killer Cars (Mogadon version)

4. India Rubber

5. How Can You Be Sure?

6. Molasses

7. Talk Show Host

8. Bishop's Robes (such an awesome closer, slow burn)

27 studio tracks and 109 minutes of greatness.

• 2 years later...