Are there any Radiohead songs that you have difficulty listening to?

it's just really fucking depressing. stuff like 'dead from the neck up, i'm stuck, we thought you had it in you but no', and 'i love you but enough is enough, a last stop, there's no real reason' is just like:

ShootSelfInHead-iStock000000668851Small_Full.jpg

i guess it depends on whether you're the giving or receiving end of this exchange, but i'll give you three guesses which one i've been on.

True Love Waits has me in bits every time I listen to it. I won't say why but I have a real emotional connection with that song. When I heard Thom singing it in Cambridge last year it was the most beautiful and upsetting live musical experience I've ever had. Beautiful and utterly heartbreaking both at the same time...

faust arp. what a slap in the face it was when i made a connection with those lyrics.

also street spirit cos listening to that over and over when i was 16 was about as emo as it gets.

faust arp has my favourite lyrics of the later stuff(IR>)

anyway

MorningBellAmnesiac

High&Dry

StopWhispering

because they suck.

The first time I saw them play live toward the end of the set they started to play Karma Police. Now, I had heard this song a million times before(like we all have) and I of course liked it, but it was never very emotional for me. The band played an awesome version of the song, but after they stopped playing Thom got back in front of the mic and started singing a capella "for a minute there I lost myself" and the entire crowd started singing with him. Probably like 70,000 people all at once. I've never felt anything like that before. Now, it gets me every time...

it's just really fucking depressing. stuff like 'dead from the neck up, i'm stuck, we thought you had it in you but no', and 'i love you but enough is enough, a last stop, there's no real reason' is just like:

Isn't it 'i love you but enough is enough of that stuff, there's no real reason'?

At least that's what it's down as on the IR vinyl sleeve...

Cuttooth. I know it's not really a sad song but the sort of mournful/longing way Thom sings the opening lines just gets me each time. The melancholy is doubled by the fact that only the hardcore fans will ever even know this song exists.

Both Fake Plastic Trees and the piano version of Fog had me choking up the first time I listened to them, but for the most part, Radiohead doesn't make me feel sad- instead, their songs are just incredibly cathartic to listen to.

No one mentioned 'How I Made My Millions' as a tearjerker yet. It's the most moving song for me, still I have no difficulty listening to it.

There's a song which I can't put in any playlist : Exit music.

Ha, for some reason Exit Music always makes me think of a zombie apocalypse. Yeah, that was really random, but what the hey.

Street Spirit is sometimes too emotionally heavy for me.

Yeah, regardless of any personal significance I often find myself overwhelmed by an emotion that's hard to articulate (like a combo of desolation/yearning/fear) when I listen to a couple of their songs - most notably Street Spirit and Videotape.

I once felt similarly about HTDC too, but got over it. And some others such as FPT and Codex give me a sense of bittersweet wistfulness akin to the feelings stirred by R.E.M.'s Nightswimming (as another poster mentioned) and Find the River.

In Give up the Ghost.

When Thom sings, " I think I should give up the ghoooooost...."

And the guitar is plucked just so perfectly at that exact moment it reminds me of my grandpa.

He passed away in May and the song just happened to console me through that time. But when I hear it I think happy thoughts.

I'm not talking about your laptop battery dying whilst listening to "Fake Plastic Trees" or whatever, but, rather, songs that you have difficulty listening to in the sentimental sense.

Me - I find it difficult listening to "How to Disappear Completely" because, around the time I first listened to it, I was going through a pretty shitty time in my life. The sound at the beginning of the song petrifies me to this very day.

If you'd rather keep it to yo'self then that's all cool, but it would be cool to hear some of your stories :).

xx

It's funny that you stressed on not confusing this with ''your laptop battery dying whilst listening'', which no one would have. If anything I'm sure a lot of people, including myself, thought that this was about songs that we find difficult to get into not for personal reasons but musical.

It's funny that you stressed on not confusing this with ''your laptop battery dying whilst listening'', which no one would have. If anything I'm sure a lot of people, including myself, thought that this was about songs that we find difficult to get into not for personal reasons but musical.

Well, sowweh for trying to add something of a softener for those who might have a genuinely emotional and upsetting story tied to particular songs. Hey, it could even be a blue screen of death that causes them to have difficulties, but, of course, that would be too stupid, wouldn't it, my dear? Also, I'm pretty darn sure that the majority of people would have understood that the question was about something a little more than finding certain songs difficult to get into, especially as the subtitle of the thread says "This might get a wee bit emotional". But hey, we can blame perception for that.

Bad day at work or something? :lol:

Well, sowweh for trying to add something of a softener for those who might have a genuinely emotional and upsetting story tied to particular songs. Hey, it could even be a blue screen of death that causes them to have difficulties, but, of course, that would be too stupid, wouldn't it, my dear? Also, I'm pretty darn sure that the majority of people would have understood that the question was about something a little more than finding certain songs difficult to get into, especially as the subtitle of the thread says "This might get a wee bit emotional". But hey, we can blame perception for that.

Bad day at work or something? :lol:

:lol: Hey I really didn't mean anything negative about it, I apologize if it came across like that. It just struck me as a little funny is all, nothing to do with the thread really, it's a good thread!