TKOL From The Basement – your impressions

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bloom - I liked the glastonbury version more. The ending jam session should have been twice as long. Thom does that orgasm thing when his voice goes higher too early.

Morning mr. Magpie - I always though of this song as a bit of a bore, but I did really like the basement version. It sounds like half the guitars are actually just jamming at muted strings, which I love.

Little by Little - Didn't love the album version, this version just sounds kinda awkward the whole way through, some nice parts with thoms voice near the end though

Feral - Disliked the album version liked this one a little, Colins bass is just so badass

Lotus Flower - what a groove this song has. lotus flower is one of the few off kol that they simply cant go wrong with

Codex - No matter how many times people tell me this is a pyramid -like masterpiece I still think it is boring as shit. Also the lyrics about clear lakes and jumping off edges are really cliche and kinda bum me out( dig the horns though)

Give up the Ghost - i like seeing the thom jonny duo, reminds me of them sprinting up the hill to do faust arp and reminds of all that httt era duo stuff they did. This song seems to go nowhere but when the song title is mentioned it takes off

Separator - album version blew my mind, this one didn't as much. colins bass felt a little off beat and thom just refuses to play the lead octave up, and instead of muting and going for all the strings, he needs to make his guitar sound sharper and hit just one.

King of Limbs is less good than previous rh albums

the plus side is that when the quality wanes, we get to see the genius of colin shine through. his basslines are so smooth and beautiful on this album

In Rainbows FTB is undeniably better

edit.

shit i forgot the other ones

The Daily Mail the beginning is a little slow. i mean it sounds nice but that descending piano isnt anything new. the climax is quite exciting. I dont think the horns add that much. I think they should lose those and go all out on guitar. I love the way jonny plays on the beat and then ed plays on the offbeat. the guitars just need to be louder and mroe in your face

Staircase really nice song. once again the highlight is colins bass that really gets to you. nice synths from thom. Another unfortunate instance of the guitars being completely useless

I really really enjoyed that, actually I loved it. very...real. I wish people would watch this and get over the idea of TKOL being a sloppy piece of work or a let down. I guess it's one of my favorite RH albums, a natural way of progressing after many years of making music.

Although I'm disappointed in Little By Little. It's my favorite track of the album and I don't really understand where they're heading with that one. It seems as if they've been trying to rearrange it because of some critic it got for its cheesy rhythm section (which I love, that sucking feeling to it) but they just make all that worse! it gets me thinking of western movies, horseback riding, it is simply un-smooth. all the other rhythms are so perfect

I also think they should've played Lotus Flower right after Feral as on the album because Feral is a perfect little prequel and it is a effective passage.

The double drumming is awesome as well although there is more Clive-time than Phil-time...

I'm just going to say it right here: people who think The Daily Mail is the best song of the TKOL era most likely just don't like the TKOL era. That said I think it's a good song.

yeah also the guy with the topic about quality slipping just doesn't like TKOL. It's a rather hard album to like, when I first heard it I surely hadn't expected I would like it SO much now. In Rainbows is just easier to like

Little By Little: frankly i'm baffled at the backlash this is getting. it's fucking sick. i like the pretty fingerpicking on the album and the sort of strange discombobulated feel that version has, but this is a different angle on the song, and i easily prefer it. for the moment. the interaction between the guitars actually manages to be more interesting and involved - there's more going on. and colin's weird-ass bassline might be what's missing from the album version and makes it seem a little gutted out. this just fucking rocks. the way the rhythms sound when they emphasize the downbeat more like this makes it sound even more related to the "kid a guitar songs" family like optimistic and especially in limbo. i dunno, just, what's not to like about it? it rocks. it's tons of fun. stop scratching your chins over it. the one thing that stands out to me as a little messy might be thom's vocals - they're not as pretty or melodic as on the album. but then thom always struggles with these post-kid a high notes, unless they're falsetto, and this performance rocks too much for falsetto so fuck that. he replaces the prettiness and pitch accuracy with guts and swagger, which again works well with this performance. he's been making this compromise for years and it doesn't always turn out as well as this.

yes, LBL is definitely and quickly growing on me. it has quite a strange appeal, I can't quite put my finger on it. though I guess I would mainly blame the mentioned 'messy' vocals, which I like a lot. kinda difficult to explain why I often tend to fall for Thom's quirky, a bit sloppy, atypical singing, but that's the fact, it happened many times already.

and Babydoc, I'm seriously considering to create a dedicated folder for your dissertations.

some of them are better than the album versions.

i can't believe some of the mistakes though- i'm not sure they were quite ready for all of them.

like jonny forgetting his lead line on mmm, weird synth lead on lotus flower, and the overal tempo and timing of LBL

and hopefully they'll figure out to put a capo on the 12th fret and play it an octave higher on separator.

but in two months or whenever they tour that will all be sorted anyway.

MMM is very african/funk sounding i love it!

i think colin had flu... a lot of remarks about how tired he looked and how much he was coughing!

i hope the horns are permanent members as well. i don't know if flugelhorns can play liagh or the national anthem, but maybethey can switch to a more raunchy set of trumpets for that.

the entire performance is just brilliant.

the daily mail..well well...an instant classic right there, it knocks you of your feet.

john lennon never died he lives on a little bit through Thom and we thank him for that.

I hope it's recorded, specifically with an album! ''Videotape'' was played on a FTB performance in then later made it on ''In Rainbows'' so here's hoping.

Feral actually becomes a song when played live! It's amazing. It sounds more like something from HTTT than Amnesiac for me.

Daily Mail is probably the best performance, maybe even song from this whole TKOL era. If you're a Radiohead fan and you don't enjoy this song, there is something wrong with you.

Yeh, Feral was impressive and Daily Mail is class. Bloom was another highlight I thought. Overall I'd say the album comes across better live.

some of them are better than the album versions.

i can't believe some of the mistakes though- i'm not sure they were quite ready for all of them.

like jonny forgetting his lead line on mmm, weird synth lead on lotus flower, and the overal tempo and timing of LBL

and hopefully they'll figure out to put a capo on the 12th fret and play it an octave higher on separator.

but in two months or whenever they tour that will all be sorted anyway.

MMM is very african/funk sounding i love it!

i think colin had flu... a lot of remarks about how tired he looked and how much he was coughing!

i hope the horns are permanent members as well. i don't know if flugelhorns can play liagh or the national anthem, but maybethey can switch to a more raunchy set of trumpets for that.

I don't think those are necessarily "mistakes". Its not like they just sat down and gave the material a run through. If they goofed something during recording they just took another take. This is them working out how to play this material live and I would guess its pretty spot on to how they will tour it.

as expected :D not to rub salt to the wound but after LCDSSMSG last time, I am glad I acted fast and downloaded that shizz. win B)

don't worry, it'll be up in another account or during the next broadcast or something. australia is showing FTB too, no?

as expected :D not to rub salt to the wound but after LCDSSMSG last time, I am glad I acted fast and downloaded that shizz. win B)

don't worry, it'll be up in another account or during the next broadcast or something. australia is showing FTB too, no?

I would've assumed so - our ABC here showed IR-FTB when it was aired, but all my googling has gleaned no info about a scheduled broadcast for this show. :(

That'll teach me... shoulda been on the ball like you.

And would you believe they took it down WHILE I was in the midst of watching it!? (not that I hadn't already seen the full thing half a dozen times);)

ah jeez I'm just gonna post this here too since this is the current active FTB related thread

ChieftanMews Chieftan Mews

@nigelgod that buck, took me out of the final cut so I took Supercollider & some juicy footage before being banished to the Zigg. Stuck.Help

we're gonna get Supercollider fo sho' B)

I don't think those are necessarily "mistakes". Its not like they just sat down and gave the material a run through. If they goofed something during recording they just took another take. This is them working out how to play this material live and I would guess its pretty spot on to how they will tour it.

that and radiohead improvise a lot. relatively speaking for a huge pop act anyway. the way they play their songs just changes over time. note for note accuracy has never been radiohead's strong suit and if that bothers you then well, there's this band called muse you might enjoy.

ah jeez I'm just gonna post this here too since this is the current active FTB related thread

ChieftanMews Chieftan Mews

@nigelgod that buck, took me out of the final cut so I took Supercollider & some juicy footage before being banished to the Zigg. Stuck.Help

we're gonna get Supercollider fo sho' B)

it's the juicy footage I'm interested about