Sign in to follow this  
GreenLanta

Did Radiohead invent the "planking" craze?

In yet another incidence of Radiohead's psychic ability, do any of you think their 1995 "Just" video might've begun the craze (currently HUGE here in Australia) known as "planking"?

For those of you who don't know, planking (AKA "extreme lying down") is the act of lying face down with body fully extended - preferably in a public, dangerous or ridiculous location - and being photographed in the act.

The pictures are then usually uploaded to some version of social-networking site, by which your act of derring-do earns you either: a marginally higher level of street cred, B) OR suspension from school/sacking from work, OR (in so far rare instances) death or disability. :wacko:

http://www.smh.com.au/technology/technology-news/planking--the-pair-who-started-it-14-years-ago-20110517-1eqzp.html

http://tiedyoungblood.wordpress.com/2011/05/20/did-radiohead-invent-planking/

planking1-600x400.jpg

^ You're sure now?

P.S. Your doctorate wouldn't be in psychology by any chance? Coz you could really help me out here...

So just because there are people lying down in the video...?

I'm pretty sure there's a few pictures of me lying down that my Mum took when I was a baby. I guess I invented planking then.

So just because there are people lying down in the video...?

I'm pretty sure there's a few pictures of me lying down that my Mum took when I was a baby. I guess I invented planking then.

No, not *just* because people are lying down - but because the sheep onlookers in the video see ONE person lying down, so they ALL decide to... ah, forget it!

Sheesh, a girl comes on here to have a little fun after being away from the board for a while, and all she gets is a bunch of kill-joys and naysayers. Clearly, this post belongs in off-topic. :rolleyes:

NO but clearly radiohead invented laying down, which was a major influence on planking

^ Ah, now that's the spirit! :D

Yes, but U2 invented the concept of stretching your body outright.

It's true that U2 have been accused of inventing many things, including simulating their own professional deaths while still technically living.

Liam Gallagher on the other hand has yet to graduate to walking upright, so maybe HE'S the real culprit. <_<

I thought the thread would have something to do with "All our instruments are maintained & rebuilt by Plank." :lol:

By the way, why does this phenomenon need a special name?