PanicOffice

Radiohead a psychedelic band?

46 members have voted

1. 1. Radiohead a psychedelic band?

• Yes
    • No

I remember when I first got to the MT I immediately got into a flame-war with somebody about whether Radiohead should be considered a psychedelic band...and I think that person thought they won the argument. I think that person is currently an admin...

I wonder what that person has to say now, having been shipped blotter paper with TKOL.

:)

radiohead ain't psychadelic. in reality "they one of those sad bands"*

*something a black kid said to me in 10th grade computer class. never forget

i listened to it while on 3 tabs of acid and like 20 nos cans.

& the recording really does sound pretty awesome

just saying it's probably the best way to listen to it

hahahaha i tried s club 7, no joke.

we made a 10 song terrible album with steps/sclub/mambonumber5/scooch

& that night I listened to KOTL/Grace&Danger/Pictures@anexhibition/tri repeatae

good night

well, sure they straight up mailed me a sheet of blotter paper for dripping liquid lsd on, i admit it

theyre with the culture of psychedelia, but a 'psychedelic' band as the music subgenre goes isnt determined by what a band mails you, but by the musical style they play

This is ridiculous. If the band sends you blotter paper with their album, it's a pretty strong indication that THEY consider themselves psychedelic.

no it isn't particularly, they're just having fun with art and materials. far more significant is the musical contents of the record it accompanies, which has one song (Separator) which is essentially psychedelic, sure.

Progressive??!! Genesis, King Crimson, Yes, Emerson Lake And Palmer, etcetera.... THOSE are PROGRESSIVE bands.... Radiohead themselves stated they "hated progresive bands"... and yes they used the word HATE.

And phsychedelic? they have some bits but not enough to call their whole style that way... why that need to NAME styles anyway?... nowadays you just can't with all this variety in music

please people, inform yourself a bit...

well radiohead is radiohead, they have their own style nevertheless what they are influenced by

when they play krautrock its radiohead krautrock

when they play jazz its radiohead jazz

when they play like spinning plates and kinetic its progressive sounding, so radiohead hates that word and meaning

im sorry

pink floyd hated every album they ever did before darkside of the moon, doesnt mean they didnt write and record the fuckers

well radiohead is radiohead, they have their own style nevertheless what they are influenced by

when they play krautrock its radiohead krautrock

when they play jazz its radiohead jazz

when they play like spinning plates its progressive sounding, so radiohead hates that word and meaning

im sorry

pink floyd hated every album they ever did before darkside of the moon, doesnt mean they didnt write and record the fuckers

dude please:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Progressive_rock

LSP is nearer to "psychedelic" if you want, but not progressive... so i'm sorry...

btw, where did you get that pink floyd thing you said? i don't believe you.... they hated Echoes? Atom Heart Mother... so they have to be morons .... specially 'cause they hated themselves for more than 5 long years...

im not trying to get in a pissing match with you aisfle

just stating pretty much a fact

when i say kinetic is progressive, its more from the standpoint of jazz fusion, miles davis style, not fukin emerson lake palmer hah

Progressive??!! Genesis, King Crimson, Yes, Emerson Lake And Palmer, etcetera.... THOSE are PROGRESSIVE bands.... Radiohead themselves stated they "hated progresive bands"... and yes they used the word HATE.

And phsychedelic? they have some bits but not enough to call their whole style that way... why that need to NAME styles anyway?... nowadays you just can't with all this variety in music

please people, inform yourself a bit...

I definitely agree. They have a good deal of psychedelic touches in their music, but I wouldn't just categorize them as psychedelic completely. Yes, some of their music sounds beautiful on psychedelics, but nonetheless.

To someone who said that "of course radiohead is psychedelic music when you're on acid"... try listening to other genres while tripping. Not all work well...

Radiohead's work just seems to work just great...

I remember when I first got to the MT I immediately got into a flame-war with somebody about whether Radiohead should be considered a psychedelic band...and I think that person thought they won the argument. I think that person is currently an admin...

I wonder what that person has to say now, having been shipped blotter paper with TKOL.

:)

haha i remember well.

and i'm still not convinced.

gimme some guru guru, then we'll talk.

dude please:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Progressive_rock

LSP is nearer to "psychedelic" if you want, but not progressive... so i'm sorry...

LSP has no genre

thats why its progressive, and radiohead isnt a progressive band, i said they could be progressive when they want to

too many people including some of the members of radiohead dont like to put themselves in the same category as king crimson, but they fail to realize that progressive is a broad genre that originally started out with free style music that had no other genre to call home, prog isnt just rock

btw, where did you get that pink floyd thing you said? i don't believe you.... they hated Echoes? Atom Heart Mother... so they have to be morons .... specially 'cause they hated themselves for more than 5 long years...

my favorite five years of their career, but you have to remember they just lost their frontman and didnt feel confident enough to write hits and mostly stuck to twenty minute instrumental space voyages, id take ahm over the wall anyday

but they later called piper at the gates 'noodly'

umma gumma and atom heart mother 'garbage' i heard them say it on video in interviews

i dont remember them being too hard on themselves for meddle, that was a crowning achievement so

im not trying to get in a pissing match with you aisfle

just stating pretty much a fact

when i say kinetic is progressive, its more from the standpoint of jazz fusion, miles davis style, not fukin emerson lake palmer hah

so radiohead is more jazz than rock? ....................... . ..

i believe "alternative" is perhaps the style you mean, not prog in any way or form.

but still... radiohead is just.... radiohead.... can't describe it 'cause every album, even songs are different from each other...

so radiohead is more jazz than rock? ....................... . ..

i believe "alternative" is perhaps the style you mean, not prog in any way or form.

but still... radiohead is just.... radiohead.... can't describe it 'cause every album, even songs are different from each other...

kinetic certainly is jazzy, i mean bitches brew was sampled to do the percussion for that song, that album is the definition of progressive

no radiohead isnt jazz

radiohead isnt even progressive, i said they can be progressive when they want to

i get what youre saying, my point to you is that progressive isnt owned by any band nor primarily by the genre of rock n roll

its much more broad than that, its anarchy