fade out again

critics are stupid

tkol just dropped on metacritic down to a 79 from 80, due to some bollocks review in mojo, a throwback magazine that ceased to be relevant as soon as it started to bombardreaders with front covers of bands who had their day perhaps 40 years ago (so basically day 1).

fuck them, it's a great album :P

That was rather....er.....critical. :lol:

Look, most people here think IR is better than TKOL, and I just cannot understand that pov. Whatever. It's all good, comparing opinions.

It's Art, Darling.

Critics are not stupid, they are very clever and knowledgeable and listen to lots of music by lots of people and know what they're saying and writing about, so if you read a low score for TKoL, it must be a pretty poor album. Likewise, if you read a high scoring review for the album, that means its pretty good. If you add all the reviews together and divide it by the number of reviews, you get an average, which - the more reviews you add, the more accurate this will be - will tell you how good tha album actually is.

Then you can use this score to base your enjoyment of the album around. So, in the case of 'The King of Limbs', you should experience the album at 79% of maxiumum enjoyment level. So, the album is now 1% less enjoyable than it was before Mojo's review was added.

Mojo is a very good magazine, by the way.

Critics are not stupid, they are very clever and knowledgeable and listen to lots of music by lots of people and know what they're saying and writing about, so if you read a low score for TKoL, it must be a pretty poor album. Likewise, if you read a high scoring review for the album, that means its pretty good. If you add all the reviews together and divide it by the number of reviews, you get an average, which - the more reviews you add, the more accurate this will be - will tell you how good tha album actually is.

Then you can use this score to base your enjoyment of the album around. So, in the case of 'The King of Limbs', you should experience the album at 79% of maxiumum enjoyment level. So, the album is now 1% less enjoyable than it was before Mojo's review was added.

Mojo is a very good magazine, by the way.

oh wow

TKOL is far from a perfect album. That's why in another thread rating TKOL and IR, everyone was giving every song a perfect rating for a 9/10 at minimum. That's bullocks, I'm just a fan of Radiohead but there's no discussion when everyone just blindly says every song is perfect or near perfect. Some people might actually feel that way, but still, for discussion's sake it is useless.

I want my critics to be critical. It makes you, as a fan, who will most likely try your hardest to like anything released to see the album in a different light.

I don't understand, why do you give a shit what critics say about it? Isn't your opinion of the music what really matters?

because you're supposed to base your opinion of the record on what the average critic rating is. come on, irene, get with it here. :rolleyes:

because you're supposed to base your opinion of the record on what the average critic rating is. come on, irene, get with it here. :rolleyes:

NO CINDY I WON'T LISTEN TO THE MAN FUCK THE SYSTEM AHHHHHHHHHHH *throws a chair*

Ultimately, critics' reviews don't affect my enjoyment of the music. It is frustrating, though, to see The King of Limbs rated below far inferior records. I will often get on Metacritic and root for albums I like when they're released, but I'll basically tell the critics to go fuck themselves and forget about the Metascore if an album I think is great isn't getting its due (so, basically if it doesn't break 80, since nearly all albums I freak out about DO cross that mark). I understand the topic creator's frustration, but it's nothing to get too worked up about.

The opinions of critics matter to me because they have way more time to listen to music than I do, and I often rely on their opinions to pick the music I buy. Really, friends and critics are the only sources I have to find out about new bands, and critics also hear a lot more music than my friends, so why shouldn't I rely on them to a degree?

I know it's popular to bash critics (Pitchfork, etc.) because it makes you look so cool and independent, but that's a silly middle school pose. I have my opinion, they have their opinion, and no one opinion is more or less valid when it comes to music.