Sign in to follow this  
skylark

TKOL: light or dark

46 members have voted

1. 1. which is it

bloom- a painful, but beautifully fulfilling birth(or rebith)

morning mr magpie- i will change

little by little- a struggle to contain depression, a solution (i think this song and supercollider have alot in common actually)

feral- the struggle?

lotus flower- now what to do with all that energy i used to use for depression, can it be used more constructively?

codex- the catharsis that all your grief and depression is an inward illusion and that you can construct anything

give up the ghost- now that i'm done constructing myself, i can communicate and fix this mis-communication between us

separator- this is amazing, but help me, i don't know if this is real or not

bloom- a painful, but beautifully fulfilling birth(or rebith)

morning mr magpie- i will change

little by little- a struggle to contain depression, a solution (i think this song and supercollider have alot in common actually)

feral- the struggle?

lotus flower- now what to do with all that energy i used to use for depression, can it be used more constructively?

codex- the catharsis that all your grief and depression is an inward illusion and that you can construct anything

give up the ghost- now that i'm done constructing myself, i can communicate and fix this mis-communication between us

separator- this is amazing, but help me, i don't know if this is real or not

what?

i dunno. i think this is their easiest album for projecting your own thoughts or emotional state on. it's one of the many ways in which it's so unobtrusive.

what?

yeah, i dont know

like someone trying to struggle to co-exist with others and fight the depression that comes with it

it's an instrumental, so i don't know just a thought

Somewhere in between, I would say. It's got hopeful words, but at times panicky rhythms and sad melodies. Can't say for sure yet, depending on the day I see it as more dark, sometimes lighter.

interesting. I don't think I can answer yet though if pressed I would guess dark based upon my own tastes. I love TKOL and i love dark so it must be dark. But really would you call kid a dark. are any of their albums all dark - or all light no. There is always a mix a juxtaposition and it's the dichotomy of light and dark that furnishes so much of the pleasure in their work

i think alot of radiohead's music is dark, not depressing, but dark and i love that

but this album in particular really shines as a lighter album, a content and confident album with lighter themes

obviously, i think the overall concept is beating depression

but i agree with you morna

and bean, that its all interpretive

Light. Confident.

Bloom: Self-confidence. Standing on a cliff, out over the ocean, watching a thunderous storm come in, the waves crashing against the rocks, and feeling like you can take it on.

Morning Mr. Magpie: Anger and frustration to someone other than yourself. Someone who has taken a integral part of yourself away from you.

Little By Little: Dissatisfaction with the daily routine of life (from work, school, everything that we deal with everyday).

Feral: A return to the wild state, freedom. Or, a complete mental break (the latter makes more sense in my extended version of TKoL)

Lotus Flower: Sexual release, happiness in the arms of a lover. However, you feel as if this relationship is teetering on the edge of a dark pit as your partner's ego grows.

Codex: Acceptance of your current situation. Innocence.

Give Up the Ghost: Giving up the ghost of your past life and accepting the new one, putting the ghost of the past into the arms of your future.

Separator: You're happy, but you're not used to that. You feel like a fish out of water, and things have changed. You feel as if this happiness is a dream, so you ask, almost jokingly, for someone to wake you up.

My interpretation at least.

EDIT: Bloom is the hardest for me to figure out. It could be about conflict, but the lyrics and sound, especially the bassline, make me think of confidence and power. Maybe waning power, though. Its obviously sung from the perspective of nature, specifically a whale's, but maybe that's the point? Nature is losing its power as we continue to destroy it.

I think the album is about conflict, like all Radiohead albums are, however, instead of losing or having a bittersweet victory, Radiohead has won, and is happy.

Major themes, I think are conquering depression, conquering and accepting two halves of oneself. And, nature vs. technology (which fits with this albums "non-organic organic" feel).

I agree with the themes of overcoming depression and gaining confidence. This was one of the things that made it stand out to me, and it fits with how I'm standing in life at the moment. So I don't get people who say they can't feel the emotion with this album, because it's quite carthartic to me. I guess it's because it's more subtle in its emotion, and less immediately dramatic then the other albums. Which would explain why going off of TKOL, the other albums were too upfront for me for a while; they weren't subtle enough.

I agree that it feels like wanting to change, deciding to save your own life and take control of yourself and only just beginning to work out how that could be done. Almost like the positive feeling that grows out of the shame and sadness of a very bad hangover. It's a good-look-in-the-mirror album imho :)

And along with the shame > change idea I see Codex as a song about trying to cleanse yourself of bad deeds or bad feelings, possibly in vain. I hear:

Jump off the end into a clear lake,

No-one around, just dragonflies.

Fantasise: no-one gets hurt, you've done nothing wrong.

So you're trying to forget that someone has been hurt because of you and you have done something wrong. It's sad that the water is innocent and you are not and you're trying to become innocent by plunging into something innocent but it won't work.

So you decide you need to change. A feeling of 'From this day forward'.

If it is 'flying to the side' then I don't know...

if you had asked me this when I first heard the album, I wouldve said its the darkest thing theyve made.

That's changed alot tho.

Out of the songs I do feel I understand : bloom, lotus flower, codex and separator

I don't sense any paranoia, any hate, any depression. Lotus flower is the closest thing to a love song on that list and its about doing it; not lovesickness, loss or desperation.

Even if you take separator to be about death, its still one of the most pleasant ways you can have.

I have an idea or two about what the other songs mean, but I am not confident enough to claim that I know their themes for certain.

Like all radiohead albums, tkol has shades of light and dark. It all depends on how you chose to interpret it -_-

I always felt it started of dark with a slow progression towards redemption and blah blah blah. Bloom is DEF. a night song for me. Nothing like driving to it at night.

TKOL is both light AND dark - but I voted light as more than half the songs radiate a positive/transcendent/accepting quality, IMHO.

Bloom: The Universe renews itself year by year, in all its pain and beauty. We are IT, and it is part of US.

MMM: Lies, theft, imperfection, sin, guilt, human failure.

LBL: Mundanity, ambition, and the masks we don just to survive in this world eventually numb us and wear down the human spirit so that we cannot experience simple joys and curiosity about life.

Feral: Instinct; the anima/animus. So many feelings (and thoughts) that language can't express.

Lotus Flower: A burgeoning belief (though still subconscious?) that what we see with our two eyes may not be ALL that exists.

Codex: Retreat from mayhem, cleansing of the soul, a desire for internal and external quietness.

GUTG: Heartfelt plea for humanity to do all we can to help the poor and disenfranchised.

Separator: The moment of transcendence. The realisation that we lost something when we were born into our human bodies, which we may yet regain... because if we think this is over then we're wrong.;)

The overall vibe for me is ''light'', positive through the music. But with Radiohead it's not really that clear cut. There is darkness rooted in there.

I think everyone is right. It has both dark and light in it. That's what creates the beautiful contrast. If there wasn't light elements, we wouldn't notice the dark, and without the dark, the light isn't as illuminated and hopeful.

I think everyone is right. It has both dark and light in it. That's what creates the beautiful contrast. If there wasn't light elements, we wouldn't notice the dark, and without the dark, the light isn't as illuminated and hopeful.

I agree with this, though I think it leans more towards the light than the dark. It's also the only Radiohead album that really ends on an optimistic, happy note. Looking forward to the future and feeling optimistic about it. To me TKOL acknowledges the darkness in the world but then tries to get past it to find contentment and love and confidence.

I agree with this, though I think it leans more towards the light than the dark. It's also the only Radiohead album that really ends on an optimistic, happy note. Looking forward to the future and feeling optimistic about it. To me TKOL acknowledges the darkness in the world but then tries to get past it to find contentment and love and confidence.

The Tourist? <_< I actually believe that song has a really positive message - the light at the end of a very dark, futuristic chunnel if you will.

But yeah, I get your point. IMHO, TKOL just keeps getting lighter and airier, so that nearing end of Separator, it's almost like the narrator is dissolving into sparkling particles of nothingness before one's very eyes (or should that be ears?)

The Tourist? <_< I actually believe that song has a really positive message - the light at the end of a very dark, futuristic chunnel if you will.

But yeah, I get your point. IMHO, TKOL just keeps getting lighter and airier, so that nearing end of Separator, it's almost like the narrator is dissolving into sparkling particles of nothingness before one's very eyes (or should that be ears?)

Motion Picture Soundtrack is a pretty happy end to me too... like they come to terms with the times in the end.

Indeed! Like Give Up The Ghost. To me there's the happiness of relief in there, but the dark comes in the reluctance to let go.

But if there's ''darkness'' in Separator, I don't think I can find it :lol: