Sign in to follow this  
GarynoidAndroid

Something very weird just happened

This happened literally thirty seconds ago and it's just too spooky to let go. So, my dad was snoozing on the sofa behind me and I had "Street Spirit (Fade Out)" playing. When it got to the "This machine will... will not communicate..." bit, in his sleepy state, he started mumbling the words all the way up to "Go under." Please bear in mind, this is a person who has NEVER listened to Radiohead by choice and has very rarely heard me listen to "Street Spirit" because I prefer to listen to it on my iPod through headphones.

What the eff?!

xx

+1 for Braid. I got all the pieces and shit but the ending was all "WTF...".

He may very well have been, but it might also have something to do with the fifty cups of tea he drinks a day. Hmm...

And yes, Braid is other-worldly. There's a very brilliant interpretation of the plot here: http://www.gamefaqs.com/xbox360/943284-braid/faqs/53842

he is secretly a fan. or his subconscious is.

you should tell him. i'm kind of intrigued now how he would react.

I told him and his response was, "What, that bollocks?"

I don't think he's a concious fan :lol:.

Not to freak you out Gary, but is there a chance your Dad may be possessed by demons? <_<

Consider what Thom has to say on the subject:

"'Street Spirit' is our purest song, but I didn't write it. It wrote itself. We were just its messengers; its biological catalysts ... Our fans are braver than I to let that song penetrate them, or maybe they don't realise what they're listening to...

They don't realise that 'Street Spirit' is about staring the fucking devil right in the eyes, and knowing, no matter what the hell you do, he'll get the last laugh. And it's real, and true. The devil really will get the last laugh in all cases without exception, and if I let myself think about that too long, I'd crack."

This happened literally thirty seconds ago and it's just too spooky to let go. So, my dad was snoozing on the sofa behind me and I had "Street Spirit (Fade Out)" playing. When it got to the "This machine will... will not communicate..." bit, in his sleepy state, he started mumbling the words all the way up to "Go under." Please bear in mind, this is a person who has NEVER listened to Radiohead by choice and has very rarely heard me listen to "Street Spirit" because I prefer to listen to it on my iPod through headphones.

What the eff?!

xx

I'd be pretty freaked out if that happened to me :blink:

well the first time i heard the bends i always thought i'd heard black star somewhere else before, perhaps on the radio or at the supermarket where my sub consciouss was hearing it but i probably was focussed on something different.

My feeling is that your dad doesn't have to be a Radiohead fan to know the lyrics.

Sometimes when you're lost in repetitive things, actions that your body and mind are used to do in a regular basis or if you're really worried or anxious about something, you really lose yourself in what you do and you end up in auto-pilot mode.

Your habits seize hold of what you're doing while your consciousness goes somewhere else, lost in thought, and whatever happens that is not "deemed" of (bringing back your mind to) attention is still being recorded passively in memory.

My point is, "Street spirit" used to be on the air ALL THE TIME on the radio or TV clips. Maybe your dad listened to it many times on the radio while driving the commute or house cleaning with the TV on, etc. He doesn't have to like or hate the song, it just became a mental habit to him at some point, and making him listen to it while asleep brought back that passive memory to the surface. You should have asked him if he remembered his dream and if the song was featured in it! :rolleyes:

Also, good call GreatLanta! If you check the lyrics...

this machine [will/will not] communicate

the thoughts and the strain I am under

be a world child, form the circle

before we all

go under

...it DOES seem like those particular lyrics have a self-referential meaning vis-à-vis this strange little event, like maybe your father is really anxious about something (well duh, who isn't these days......) and will/will not communicate about it. He does it in his sleep, but if confronted with it, he might probably tell you that it means nothing and that he's perfectly fine...

What the eff?!

xx

:lol:

My point is, "Street spirit" used to be on the air ALL THE TIME on the radio or TV clips. Maybe your dad listened to it many times on the radio while driving the commute or house cleaning with the TV on, etc. He doesn't have to like or hate the song, it just became a mental habit to him at some point, and making him listen to it while asleep brought back that passive memory to the surface. You should have asked him if he remembered his dream and if the song was featured in it! :rolleyes:

Hmm... he could have heard it when it came out all those years ago, but there is no way he would have purposely remembered the words, because he thinks that Radiohead is "funeral music" :lol:. I found it pretty spooky and interesting when it happened.

Hmm... he could have heard it when it came out all those years ago, but there is no way he would have purposely remembered the words, because he thinks that Radiohead is "funeral music" :lol:. I found it pretty spooky and interesting when it happened.

As fans, we get that a lot.

Not that I'd object to my loved ones playing one of their songs at MY funeral (well, I couldn't really, since I'd be dead.) :rolleyes:

Funnily enough, my 13 yr old daughter says their music is for "people who want to kill themselves... slowly".