Japanese Disaster and Radiohead

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's a difference between saying something like, "I think my government should donate money to people who are less fortunate" and basically saying "yeah your whole country, which I have nothing to do with and really know nothing about, are a bunch of cunts because I don't think you donate enough money to people who have AIDS in Africa."

I'm not a fanboy (I'm obviously not even male), you don't know me well enough to call me anything at all, and U2 is a horrible fucking band and people should realize denial is not just a state in the union

I respect your right to loathe U2's entire back-catalogue (though I doubt you've actually listened to every album you claim is so "shitty")... however your diatribe of hate-filled invective does nothing to further the cause of those ppl who are starving or disenfranchised.

irene doesn't know what the fuck she's talking about.

dismissing and reducing a band in such an ignorant way is quite telling.

especially a band thats been around for 30 years.

a band that is widely respected and revered by their peers and critics all around.

a band thats been immensely influential and created a sound that is their own.

a band that has done more humanitarian work then some dumb bitch on a radiohead message board ever can hope to accomplish.

tell me, what have you contributed to this world?

you dont have to like U2.

but to say they're mediocre and shitty only reveals your juvenile thinking and inability to understand music/art.

Ed O'Brien quote from Spin magazine interview, circa 2003:

"Part of the reason O'Brien is perceived as Radiohead's designated rocker is that he's the most interested in classic rock; he especially enjoys discussing U2 who appear to be Radiohead's third biggest musical influence (the first two being The Smiths, who all five members love unequivocally, and the Pixies, from whose records Jonny Greenwood learned how to play guitar). For the most part the other four members don't talk about mainstream rock.

'I'm interested in bands as beasts,' O'Brien says. 'I'm interested in U2 and the Rolling Stones and Neil Young & Crazy Horse. I love the dynamic of musicians working together and all the voodoo shit that comes with it. It's a complicated thing to do over the expanse of time which is why I respect U2 so much.'"

^^^ The reason I mention this interview now, is NOT because I feel, as Radiohead fans we "should" love every artist the band members love. Musical taste is personal and sometimes there's NO accounting for it.

Having said that, I believe the five members of RH are clearly musically intelligent creatures... and as such, I highly doubt they'd waste their time listening to bands whose music has NO redeeming value whatsoever.

Many (though by all means not ALL) Radiohead fans I've encountered have obviously taken musical cues from various artists about whom Radiohead have made favourable mention - even if the artist/s concerned are from genres these fans wouldn't ordinarily listen to in a blue fit! (ex: Free jazz, classical, krautrock, techno) But strangely enough, many of these same fans refuse to acknowledge U2's influence on RH (admittedly, mostly on their earlier work).

Like any band who've been active for 30+ years, U2's music varies in quality from album to album. But to my mind it just seems like sheer bloody-mindedness that keeps many people from admitting that songs like Love is Blindness, Acrobat, New Year's Day are brilliant, or that Numb or The Fly were almost as "ground breaking" (for their day) as RH's stuff is today.

It's going to be a bit hard to like the early U2 albums if you didn't grow up with them. Likewise, it's hard to love the latest ones if you grew up with the early ones. They lost me after Achtung Baby. Bono is a bit of a twat, but at least he makes people talk about important issues. Problem is, everybody is tired to listen to him whining about them. I have the feeling Thom is afraid he'll become a Bono when he goes on about climate change issues.

I'm always a bit weary of artists that are soooo frontal with their charity works. Like they have to prove to the world they're really nice guys and caring people, so they're not perceived as rich douchebags.

Yes, Japan has the 3rd largest economy in the world

Haiti is just behind them at 132

My point was that they did say/do something about Haiti, and therefore they might say something about Japan, not that the situations of the two countries are comparable (other than the fact that mother nature has decided to put them in the shitter).

I respect your right to loathe U2's entire back-catalogue (though I doubt you've actually listened to every album you claim is so "shitty")... however your diatribe of hate-filled invective does nothing to further the cause of those ppl who are starving or disenfranchised.

You know what else doesn't help them? Going to up to governments and saying "yeah you know what, I know you already donate money towards people who really need it but I'm going to demand that you donate more."

irene doesn't know what the fuck she's talking about.

dismissing and reducing a band in such an ignorant way is quite telling.

especially a band thats been around for 30 years.

a band that is widely respected and revered by their peers and critics all around.

a band thats been immensely influential and created a sound that is their own.

a band that has done more humanitarian work then some dumb bitch on a radiohead message board ever can hope to accomplish.

tell me, what have you contributed to this world?

you dont have to like U2.

but to say they're mediocre and shitty only reveals your juvenile thinking and inability to understand music/art.

Oh yeah I'm so ignorant, that's why I have listened to their music and then disliked it. What, is there some different way of evaluating music that is unknown to human beings? The fuck do I care if they've been around for thirty years? A lot of bands have been around for thirty years, that doesn't mean their music is good. You act as though other peoples' opinions should somehow matter to me, when I consider them nothing but irrelevant. And I am pretty sure at the age that I am now, I have accomplished more than Bono did at my age, and I would defy anyone to prove me wrong by listing, in explicit detail, every amazing thing that he had done in his life by the age of twenty three.

U2 are mediocre now. They used to be exciting and innovative but now they are just banking on past glories. I hope Radiohead never go down this route or call it a day if they feel this was occuring.

On a more important note; another explosion at the Fukushima reactor. I feel so bad for them. I've been reading about how noone knows what to believe over there about the nuclear crisis, and that their media seems to be playing it down as compared to the international press. It must be so frightening.

It's going to be a bit hard to like the early U2 albums if you didn't grow up with them. Likewise, it's hard to love the latest ones if you grew up with the early ones. They lost me after Achtung Baby. Bono is a bit of a twat, but at least he makes people talk about important issues. Problem is, everybody is tired to listen to him whining about them. I have the feeling Thom is afraid he'll become a Bono when he goes on about climate change issues.

I'm always a bit weary of artists that are soooo frontal with their charity works. Like they have to prove to the world they're really nice guys and caring people, so they're not perceived as rich douchebags.

I'm the only person I know who flat out LOVED NLOTH, and I've been a U2 fan since 1983.

Anyway, this thread got weird.

It says alot about the world when keen philanthropists are branded self-serving.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with what Bono and Thom Yorke do, 'cause, you know, it's their f*cking choice to support the causes they do and raise awareness for them.

If you're going to call Bono a self-serving hypocrite, then Thom Yorke is equally so.

It says alot about the world when keen philanthropists are branded self-serving.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with what Bono and Thom Yorke do, 'cause, you know, it's their f*cking choice to support the causes they do and raise awareness for them.

If you're going to call Bono a self-serving hypocrite, then Thom Yorke is equally so.

Yeah its really cynical. I think its good that these people speak out because, lets face it, more people listen to celebrities than politicians these days. I think that the self promotion element that we can all get bitchy about is irrelevant when they are raising awareness, regardless of any hidden motives they may or may not have. And, hey, if a U2 fan donates some money soley to copy Bono then good, the result is the same as if he did it out of the goodness of his own heart.

Yeah its really cynical. I think its good that these people speak out because, lets face it, more people listen to celebrities than politicians these days. I think that the self promotion element that we can all get bitchy about is irrelevant when they are raising awareness, regardless of any hidden motives they may or may not have. And, hey, if a U2 fan donates some money soley to copy Bono then good, the result is the same as if he did it out of the goodness of his own heart.

Exactly.

I just read the quote by Thom Yorke posted in the previous page, and he nails it; Bono will do whatever it takes, he frankly doesn't give a damn what all the frustrated internet warriors have to say about him on an internet forum, because he's out there in the real world making a real difference.

If Bono did something big and public tomorrow morning, and it generated enough money to pay for the food for just some of the 500,000+ homeless in Japan, then I wouldn't mind one bit, what harm is he doing? Some people need to wind their necks in and realise that disasters and loss of human life on this scale are far more important than their musical tastes, I have no idea why people are discussing such a trivial, subjective matter in a thread such as this.

Japan Times says: "The radioactive fuel rods at the No. 2 reactor of the Fukushima No. 1 power station were fully exposed at one point Monday, Tokyo Electric Power Co. said, raising the possibility that it suffered a partial core meltdown."

I don't think you even read my argument, or at the very least understood it. I don't have a problem with people trying to raise awareness for charity, or to encourage other people to donate money to people and causes who need it; I have a problem with people doing things that don't make sense and can have no effect to "raise awareness."

If Thom did things the way Bono did, yeah, he'd be an asshole too, but at least he would be an asshole who makes amazing music.

Although, regardless, I don't see why you guys are arguing with me about U2, I don't care about your opinion and I don't really see why you would care about mine.

And I am pretty sure at the age that I am now, I have accomplished more than Bono did at my age, and I would defy anyone to prove me wrong by listing, in explicit detail, every amazing thing that he had done in his life by the age of twenty three.

hahahaha fuck

Anyway, this thread got weird.

welcome to mt

I hate Bono. Valid reason for hating U2 if there ever was one.

I hate Liam Gallagher and Mick Jagger. Does that mean I ought to reverse my initial semi-favourable impression of Oasis' first two albums? Or that I should no longer believe Sympathy For the Devil and Paint It Black are good songs?

:mellow:

so, yeah, uh i would think rh will make a statement about japan sooner or later. probably on the sooner side than the later.

So Chroma, you were saying...? -_-