pennyroyalty

First Impressions thread

I just finished my first listen and WOW I didn't see that coming. I kinda feel the same way the day Kid A was released. The groove really sticks out in the back half of the album and the first half I think shocked me a little. I think its because I was expecting different. But, by no means am I saying I am not very impressed with this album because I am. Although I was expecting a completely different vibe when I seen Magpie, Lotus Flower, and Ghost on the track list all three songs are standouts on the album along with Feral, Seperator and Codex.

Time for listen number 2!

After 3 listens and currently working on my fourth, i can honestly say that it only gets better and better. Every song is a stand out

amnesiac

amnesiac b-sides

kid a

the king of limbs

in rainbows cd 2

ok computer

hail to the thief

in rainbows

comlag

the bends b-sides

ok computer b-sides

the bends

pablo honey

pablo honey b-sides

Up to lotus on first listen, I really don't know about this guys. I liked the eraser better on first listen. Bloom had some nice moments and gave me hope but the rest sounds like b sides. I hope this a joke and the real album is up tomorrow. I loved Kid A a lot of the first listen.

I like it (must be on my third listen by now). The tracks that jumped out at me on first listen were -

Lotus Flower, Codex, Morning Mr Magpie, Give Up the Ghost and Feral.

It starts off fast and then slowly grinds into something really mellow, that's the only

way i can describe it at the moment without turning into jibbering mess.

Ok, second impressions after second listening. It's a no, sadly. I think I'm even more disappointed on the whole than upon my first listen.

Oddly enough, now I found the first part better. The second part... seems boring and uninspired for me. I mean, Codex to my ears sounds like a wishy-washy poor cousin of Videotape (like a cheap song you'd write to be used in a TV show for an emotional scene....[this must be the worst I've spoken about Radiohead since PH!]). Give up the Ghost - would be nice if it was 3 mins long, later it gets dull. Separator - I'm not sure, I liked it on the first listen, now it seemed quite unexciting.

I admit I skipped Feral, too experimental. Bloom was better the second time and I think I might get to like it.

MorningMrMagpie and especially Little by little are definitely a yes.

And Lotus Flower is great, perhaps the only redeeming quality of TKOL.

Out of 8 songs, 1 great, 2 good, the rest kinda mediocre - that's how it stands in my book after two listens.

I'm sad really, cause I wanted to like the album. This is really dumb, but I kinda feel used - having blindly paid for something disappointing. Nevertheless, the way of release was a smart move - they got the money and tested the fans' loyalty. Dunno if I wanna pay for the second part of the supposed double album.

I think I'm in the minority of haters, right?

Ehhhh, Eraser's so much better, IR1&2 are so much better. Everything else's so much better.

Radiohead again are able to puzzle me at first listen.

Ultimately, this is why I love them.

Even if I'm not in love with any of this tracks now (expect maybe Codex), I am sure I eventually will.

PS There is no rock in this album. Very good.

i wasn't around for the mindfuck days of Kid A so it's pretty entertaining to see the bafflement at this album. pretty much worth it whatever the verdict on the album is a few years from now. pretty sure i won't like this as much as In Rainbows but it's hard to say after two listens amidst the hype but i feel good saying it hangs well with the rest of their catalog

Guest Never to be found

im on codex.. in my 2nd listen...

its just great...

im loving this album

reading around other forums a little, it's all very reminiscent of Kid A's immediate reception. i might pan it! i don't know.

noooooooo, surely i wont call you shirley

Lyrics on the last song include this near the end (spoilers obviously)

'if you think this is over then you're wrong' x4 (or maybe more)

And the name of the song is 'Seperator'. I can't help thinking that this is the first part of a two album set or some such.[/i]"

What do you think?

nah, the lyrics were like that before it was a closer, i think it just means determination

and the song was called super collider, mate, which seperates atoms into little pieces of elctrons and gravitrons, or at least thats what theyre looking for when they do it

this is a hybrid album and as for this being a half of a studio session like kida/amnesiac

definitely!

i think the album is awesome

[Operator 3] Hello, my name is Operator 3, how may I help you?

[Visitor] should i stay tuned for part 2?

[Visitor] people are claiming that this is part 1

[Visitor] i'm confused

[Operator 3] as far as we are aware the album available to collect is the full album

just wanted to see what i could get out of these poor operators. "as far as we are aware"

noooooooo, surely i wont call you shirley

and the song was called super collider, mate

which seperates atoms into little pieces of elctrons and gravitrons, or at least thats what theyre looking for when they do it

this is a hybrid album and as for this being a half aof a studio session like kida/amnesiac

definitely!

separator was mouse dog bird, not super collider

but still

I always wondered how I would have felt if I knew Radiohead when Kid A was released. I think I know, now.

:huh: :huh: :huh:

Yeah

First impressions, sounds somewhere between Amnesiac B-sides and Thom's solo stuff. I hate to say it but this is more or less what I expected.

Don't ask me why, but These Are My Twisted Words and Feeling Pulled Apart By Horses have been coming up on shuffle a lot in the past few days for me, and I've kinda been forming my predictions of what the sound/feel of the album would be off of that. I'm finding myself surprised/almost disappointed that I was right. I need that 2nd listen tho, from what I've heard it helps thing fall into place.

So first impression: confusion, must finish working and go find my good headphones (and make some clouds)

separator was mouse dog bird, not super collider

but still

oh my bad, if you look back on the thread im aware of that

might have something to do with the bushmills ive been drinking since 4am

but yeah, seperator would have been a good name for super collider, yeah