First Impressions thread

the middle of Bloom, where the horns build up and crescendo with this electronic bloopy-thing is just fucking awesome

noticed that myself on my 3rd listen. If you think about it there are so many Radiohead-like elements in all of these songs while keeping it the most unique thing i've ever heard.

loving the D-Draper pic, can't wait for the new season

• Replies 657
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1:( ゚Д゚)er .. (。_゜) hm .. 「(゚ペ) unexpected

2: ∑(O_O;) shock ! ! .. o(>< )o magpie???!

3: ☆ミ(o*・ω・)ノ oh what is this ヘ(^_ ^ヘ)(ノ^ _^)ノ CAPITAL

4: (´~`) .. ┐('~`;)┌

5: (`ヘ´).. i cant place this. ~(=^・・^) ahh yes, this. i am pleased to the max

6: ( ´_ゝ`)oh..piano.. piano. ( ´_ゝ`)but this is pretty.

7: ヽ(o`皿′o)ノ ugh yes. (  ゚,_ゝ゚) perfect

8: nice \(^ ^)/ better than nice (゚∀゚) \(^∀^)メ(^∀^)ノ

cant decide between 3,8,5

aaahhh hahaha you're the cuuutest thing

um, the first half would be 4 songs. if 2 of the 4 'disrupt' it, then maybe 'it' wasn't that in the first place?

yeah, how does this shit get started

it's a well blended album that explores new sounds for them

magpie and separator are kinda poppy and reggae-ish, it has its own sound as poppy as it is though

really trying to get into them songs more than the others, those are the black sheep for me

codex would have been a lovely send off, but not if this is a double album like people are speculating, we only get one cd though, sooooo?

come on people, stop deluding yourself just because it is radiohead. listen to any of the older songs that you hold dear and then compare them to the crap the new record has to offer. oh yeah, it has a thick bass. does that make it any better, considering that it lacks all the beauty of the wonderfully written older records? no it doesnt. it is just loops with effects and a cool bass. it is not in the same league of anything they did before.

come on people, stop deluding yourself just because it is radiohead. listen to any of the older songs that you hold dear and then compare them to the crap the new record has to offer. oh yeah, it has a thick bass. does that make it any better, considering that it lacks all the beauty of the wonderfully written older records? no it doesnt. it is just loops with effects and a cool bass. it is not in the same league of anything they did before.

i did just listen to ir and now tkol.

ir sounds like pop songs next to tkol.

im not deluding myself.

i dunno i cant rly think of deep emotion connection thing when i think httt or ir either, at least its not instant like pyramid song and others on amnesiac altho i dont rly like htdc that much. i think that has more to do w nostalgia and time cause their earlier albums are what i grew w wen i was a lil bee. but httt is top3 album despite that lack. cept i kinda cried to sail to the moon so i lied..hm.

i think this albums better than in rainbows and it'll probs be my 4th fav...maybe 3rd maybeee time does weird things. ir used to be my least fav including bends so l0l

if i see them tour for the first itme, i could se emyself more easily getting a ~connection~ to codex or give up the ghost or something. didnt like eraser nearly as much before i saw sum live

yeah you can go home now guys. false alarm.

this is the only album i didnt dislike at first listen besides amnesiac

so given time i'll predict

amnesiac-kida-httt-tkol-okc/ir-bends-ph

i didnt find any strong emotion song but it took time for me to feel that besides amnesiac neway :s never connected to htdc or fake plastic trees etc like others. didn't really connect to okc at all which is weird cause my fav rh song is on it. mostl connected to amnesiac and httt weirdd

someone said it was like electronic jazz. i think jazz is a good descriptor actually.

yeah my first comment was something like this is their jazz album

I mean I'm not well versed on jazz but the drums in particular and a lot of the bass remind me of at least some jazz I've heard. Maybe I'm way off base, I haven't seen doc make that comparison and I know he's into jazz

i dont likebloom so much

i like feral ok. feel cheesy saying this but i like the closer a lot a lot. sometghing good/optimistic

i want to like codex but im not sure yet

i love little by little

morning mr magpie didnt do much for me, its good, but i already forgot how it sounds like eraser lvl as opposed to rh level. i also feel cheesy saying i love give up ghost but yeah, its perfect relaxing feeling

overall i dunno im making the same post overr and over cus i want ppl to post more. i enjoy chillness and ir was chill but more meh and pop. sounding and its flunks were worse than thisalbum's flunks. not sure bout lotus flower yet still digesting.

kinda over them making EPIC grabby crazy songs. i like this more atm

Prophetic and important - yeah, sometimes, but he often writes nonsense. I wouldn't say he's the greatest lyricist ever but I don't think that 'tease' line is particularly bad - probably too real and not ambiguous enough for people who want some deep meaning and shit.

eh, I just think it would be hard for thom to put 'tease' and 'flirt' in the same sentence and have it not sound glaringly bad to my ears.

but! that aside! I don't want to bash this album. alright, Feral isn't up to par for me. but! everything else is beautiful.

after the shock of new radiohead (and most of it totally new) wore off, I realized I really like the album. To me personally (no musical basis for this whatsoever) it reminds me of HTTT. A bit off, like, hey, radiohead, what are you doing? But once you listen to it, totally sweet.

In some other thread people mentioned IR getting "old" after a while... I agree. IR was good on the first listens, because of that energetic opening and the faust arp surprise/videotape closer. But none of the IR songs are "classics" to me, expect maybe 15 step. My classics are more like ideoteque, morning bell, pyramid song....

TKOL is good. I need to listen to it more before I decide on a position in my album ranking. Probly not gonna beat Kid A at #1 or OKC at #2 though.

bloom 8/10

magpie 7/10

lil 7/10

feral 7/10

lotus 8/10

codex 7/10

ghost 8/10

sep 8/10

no standouts, but no bad spots. a short album can be great for that reason...

yeah my first comment was something like this is their jazz album

I mean I'm not well versed on jazz but the drums in particular remind me of at least some jazz I've heard. Maybe I'm way off base, I haven't seen doc make that comparison and I know he's into jazz

there's a lot of jazz influence in this but i dunno, the separate ideas are blending together pretty seamlessly so it's hard to say that any one song in particular is 'jazz-like'. more jazz influenced in the way the amnesiac b-sides are, really bitches brew/in a silent way.

to my ears the biggest new-ish influence is modern classical (which actually i'm not well versed in, haha, but it makes me think of what i've heard so far)

i dunno i'll keep my ears peeled for something i can point out but to be honest this album gives me a serious case of kid-in-a-toy-store syndrome.

i don't know what the fuck to call the drums. krautrock?

im just rly happy rh never try to go back. they go on w whatev they wanna do and for me its not that ovbiious w every release whether theyve lost or gained, mostly just changed and ppl dig or they dont

it kinda makes me wonder since theyre so popular, the direction musics gonna go in the next few yrs. people wont make as much of a big deal as kid a and it's not like theyre doing revolutionary stuff but they have a big enoughfollowing