biggie p

The Official LP8 Speculation Thread

yeah i want this...the question is can they pull it off at this point. part of the reason the scary-ish parts of okc and kid a came across so well was because the band had a sense of being unsure of themselves...they've got quite a swagger now so i'm really interested to see if thom can once again seem terrified on record, especially after in rainbows where there's a real sense of the band being more grounded

it surely gives birth to genius music, yet i don't know if i wish them to inflict all this upon themselves over again.

ah the sweet sound of depression ...

Ladies and gentlemen, without a safety net

I shall now perform a 180 flip-flop

I shall now amputate, I shall now contort

yeah i want this...the question is can they pull it off at this point. part of the reason the scary-ish parts of okc and kid a came across so well was because the band had a sense of being unsure of themselves...they've got quite a swagger now so i'm really interested to see if thom can once again seem terrified on record, especially after in rainbows where there's a real sense of the band being more grounded

they were just as unsure about themselves as ever while recording IR, which is pretty obvious from how long it took, shit they posted on DAS, interviews and the fact that their manager suggested they call it quits. they 'scariness' of okc through httt wasn't because they were unsure of themselves, it just had to do with whatever else made them make that kind of music at that time. they were coming from a totally different place on IR

interviews and the fact that their manager suggested they call it quits.

this sentence scares the living shit outta me... must kill manager, must kill manager....:ninja: what is his name again???

Edited by JeanInRainbows
freaking out, hate that sentence.....

interviews and the fact that their manager suggested they call it quits.

this sentence scares the living shit outta me... must kill manager, must kill manager....:ninja: what is his name again???

There's a Brian Message, a Chris Hufford, and a Bryce Edge (fucking awesome name), but the one you want is Brian.

From NME: "Radiohead's manager Brian Message says he advised the band to split during the recording of last album 'In Rainbows'."

new songs at the festivals this summer.

burn the witch, supercollider, and the other shit that was on the chalkboard from way back when. they obviously have a bunch of shit left over from the studio from the IR sessions too... they were probably working with like 30+songs there, considering they put 18 on the albums

Big hopes for Burn The Witch. Radiohead has virally advertised that one for a while now, and they're kind of good at marketing. They've hinted at playing it a couple of times, but then refrained because they didn't have a string section with them or something (Naysayers of the prog-length epic 'heads up their own ass' song they could potentially write, be afraid of this one). It's probably just the naive hope for mysticism and dramatic effect inside of me that's talking, but I think they might be sitting on something they already know is holy tits balls to the walls awesome one of the best things they've ever thought of. When they drop that sucker, oh man

Or at least that's how I'd do it. Write something, realize it's the best thing I've ever thought of, and then go "fuck make sure nobody can hear this until it's at 100% maxed out idea status"

^ Same here. Especially since I like a lot of the old material, I don't think I'll be too disappointed at hearing it. Of course, new stuff will be more exciting probably, but both are welcome in my book.

this is poor contribution to this thread, but i don't know much about supercollider... when did this song come around? can a kind soul post a link of some sorts so i can hear it :smoke_coo

new songs at the festivals this summer.

burn the witch, supercollider, and the other shit that was on the chalkboard from way back when. they obviously have a bunch of shit left over from the studio from the IR sessions too... they were probably working with like 30+songs there, considering they put 18 on the albums

yeah im thinking a lot of them were probably skeletons though... they may not even want to revisit a lot of them after the precedent set by the songs that made it through the screening process. but i'm hoping they found enough of them promising to at least use as a springboard. plus burn the witch and goodmorning mr magpie of course.

I'm always conflicted when calling RH mainstream. You NEVER hear them on the radio in the States, even on satelite. Of course when they tour people go nuts but I dunno.

First of all, if you are still thinking in radio, welcome to the 21st century, we have TV and the internet. Also, if a band with a track record like this and this cannot be considered to be mainstream, then I don't know what kind of a band can.

Here's a tip: if you want to know whether a band is mainstream or not, try last.fm. If the band has more than a million plays and listeners then, yes, it's mainstream.

Radiohead has 174,831,675 plays and 2,180,791 listeners.

Disagree. Radio and "MTV" type stations (I use MTV as the generic example, that would include Fuse etc.) are still a tastemaking force, especially considering most people that actually PAY for music (meaning the only time it can be documented officially) are in the tween/younger-teen demographic. Radiohead are considered old news....a "90's band"...by the tastemaking, hipster, elite.

That said, those people are deustchbags.

Also, as far as LP8 potentials go, has nobody mentioned Lift????

I'm a fan of a lot of old stuff that never saw the light of (recorded) day, but Lift has GOT to bypass pretty much all of that other stuff in my mind, at least in terms of awesomeness.

, has nobody mentioned Lift????

I'm a fan of a lot of old stuff that never saw the light of (recorded) day, but Lift has GOT to bypass pretty much all of that other stuff in my mind, at least in terms of awesomeness.

lift has been split up through a number of other songs already. i love the song, dont get me wrong, but the idea and lyrics have been spread around already in their other music.

First of all, if you are still thinking in radio, welcome to the 21st century, we have TV and the internet. Also, if a band with a track record like this and this cannot be considered to be mainstream, then I don't know what kind of a band can.

Here's a tip: if you want to know whether a band is mainstream or not, try last.fm. If the band has more than a million plays and listeners then, yes, it's mainstream.

Radiohead has 174,831,675 plays and 2,180,791 listeners.

Um...swear to God I was in a Robeks smoothie joint on Wednesday and "Fade Out" came on their radio...that constitutes mainstream I think