Ed is hopeful that LP8 will come out this year!

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

for anyone who wants to listen, ed comes on at about 42 minutes in and talks for about 6 minutes. most interesting thing he talks about is how hard it was to do in rainbows and how they have apparently managed to adopt a different attitude about recording that has made this an enjoyable record to make. he doesn't really elaborate on whatever that means, though

i'm sure it helped that they didn't take a major break from performing together before they started this album. but in 3 years when they put out their next they'll probably talk about how they rushed LP8 and should have spent more time in the studio or some bullshit

pretty cool that he thinks it's the best they've ever done. i'm pretty thrilled to hear a new album with songs i don't know anything at all about, or at least that have only been previously performed solo by thom

i didn't get on the bootleg train until LP7 era, but for some fans this might be the freshest first listen of a Radiohead record for a decade or more.

for anyone who wants to listen, ed comes on at about 42 minutes in and talks for about 6 minutes. most interesting thing he talks about is how hard it was to do in rainbows and how they have apparently managed to adopt a different attitude about recording that has made this an enjoyable record to make. he doesn't really elaborate on whatever that means, though

i'm sure it helped that they didn't take a major break from performing together before they started this album. but in 3 years when they put out their next they'll probably talk about how they rushed LP8 and should have spent more time in the studio or some bullshit

Actually, he is interviewed throughout the 2 hours once he comes on. He talked about previous RH band names On a Friday, Dearest, and Shindig! Also talks a lot about their early days. Near the end of the second hour he answers a couple of fan questions.

interview summary

“Ideally, it’d be great if it came out sometime this year. It’s got to. I hope so,” O’Brien answered when asked by Buxton when the band’s followup to 2007’s In Rainbows will be released.

He explained that “We’re at the studio at the moment… we’re in the heart of the record,” but added “the finishing line… it’s in touching distance” and, barring any last minute problems, the record will likely be completed in “a matter of weeks.”

O’Brien would give no real specifics, but did feel confident enough to say “I’m really excited… I feel like this is the best record we ever made. It really is genuinely exciting. It’s very different from what we did last time.”

you could take that to mean that the new album is less guitar orientated that whatever the norm for Radiohead is of late, although i forget what it is that Ed actually does if he's not playing guitar/pedals :unsure:

He screams his name at the microphone (like on Weird Fishes).

And plays drums on There There.

And PS2 during Idioteque.