meandmyarmy

Short Film - Taking Back

thanks man

i used a sony handycam cx150 (i think) i borrowed from uni. they're about $800 and record in HD but it struggled with lighting a bit

the uni have some high end equipment but they dont let you take that out to do your own thing

it didn't seem very coherent?

This was the main problem I had, too.

Pros: Fairly well shot. It's limited by the locations, or lack thereof, but it managed to keep me engaged. Use of music was good. Acting was fine, though you didn't really give yourself a lot to work with. Overall, I think you are a pretty decent cinematographer. This is your strength.

Cons: The writing kind of rambled all over the place. One second it was "People didn't like what I wrote. I think they're after me." Then, "I like 'The Catcher in the Rye.' Then, "shadows are cool," and then a suicide scene? The transitions don't really work. I realize that it's a very short film, but I don't really feel like your conveying anything to me. It feels like a bunch of unrelated scenes that are linked only by the character. Try to develop things a bit more next time.

As student films go, I've seen worse, and I think you have potential, but the lack of coherence really kills this.

thanks for the comments

the original script was a lot longer but i only had two days to shoot and edit it. i would have liked more time to explain why his mental state was deteriorating as opposed to the audience just having to accept that was the case

though it is intentionally fragmented and open ended i think you could still grasp a coherent story. a guy with delusions of importance, becomes self-reflective until he feels his life his worthless. how he deals with that was intentionally left unexplained but there were indications i left throughout the film. nothing was unrelated or unintentional

also i made this not for a film class but actually a postmodernism class, so that was the reason for the style