kafka.

What MT Artists and Musicians Are You Checking Out at the moment?

nice idea!

Though this doesn't strictly count... i've had the new Thomas J album on pretty heavy rotation lately:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=349936

Its by far the best thing he's done, at least check out the opener, "survive." :ninja:

Other than that, listened through the new mindwater again - didn't realise at first, but that album is actually having a pretty big impact on how i'm writing. hmmm... probably should buy it in that case.

oh nice! I didn't know that guy had a new one. cooool. see he's still kicking around nancy. I meant to buy his first physical release, Glorified Failure, and it's linked on this site so I can still do that. awesome! :D

also, I think there's a good chance Say No to Racism and Fascism could be about ******gate and mortiggi tampo lol

heard survive and while it's good, superhero off Glorified Failure has been my favorite thomasj track for some time

I guess favorite new track. my overall favorite is probably Shy off In the End We're All People

Edited by kafkadoodledoo

oh nice! I didn't know that guy had a new one. cooool. see he's still kicking around nancy. I meant to buy his first physical release, Glorified Failure, and it's linked on this site so I can still do that. awesome! :D

also, I think there's a good chance Say No to Racism and Fascism could be about ******gate and mortiggi tampo lol

heard survive and while it's good, superhero off Glorified Failure has been my favorite thomasj track for some time

I guess favorite new track. my overall favorite is probably Shy off In the End We're All People

yeah! the new version of nancy is way better in my oppinion. don't know the circumstances in which he left, but i emailed him out of curtesy for his mention on the podcast and he was all like; 'yeah - the your art section is pretty much the only thing i miss bout the place.' some great tunes anyhow.

Oh nice! - i'd totally forgotten about Shy! love that song.

just listened to butcherdown george's two soundclick tracks from 'sketches' thread and I liked them very very much so. then checked out apslac's noise myspace project and was also really really happy with it. the only track in a genre I'm used to would have been one of george's that sounded a lot like a slowdive revivalist thing (with a more stern less dreamy vox influence). really won over by the songs over my general reception of noise and dance/ambient.

highly recommended

listened to will's latest last night. tough genre for me but I was taken with at least three of the songs. made it half way through roger's latest, which seemed to be a departure for him. then I slept. and I forgot to listen to it today. dl'd all seven of ahh diddums.../jack's uploaded songs.

meaning to go through and download the shit out of albums here because I have very little mt music on this new laptop.

james grady - stare me down

one of james' new songs, I think he described it as a sketch, in progress. hadn't realized exactly how good it was. I think there's a thing that happens when I listen to music knowing I'll reply where my ear and head goes to what I know about music to analyze the song and give a review/advice or something, which can cut down the passive enjoyment of a song. really is a great, sparse yet powerful combo between the piano rh part and the lyrics/melody. sounds like it's about a girl's dad getting in the way of a new relationship maybe? kind of funny in that way yet still that sort of earnest feel a lot of james' music has. sort of like jens lekman in that sense.

also meant to say if yr reading james that I think it'd be awesome if you draw out stare me down and if you were planning on making it longer. paid some more attention to the lyrics and yeah, really good.

makes me consider posting a link or something to the lyrics for my next album whenever it comes out, even though i've never been one for writing good lyrics.

ah thanks zach! really glad you like it : )

yeah the lyrics were kinda done on the fly, to get the rough idea down, but youre right - could do with building on. gunna re-record it hopefully pretty soon. hoping to make music again in christmas holiday, got loads of little ideas but havent bothered properly crafting a song in ages.

you should definately include the lyrics in the next realese - thad be cool. Can't remember who said it - but someone was on about including PDF liner notes in their next album. Something like thatd be great.

looks like you been giving the MT music some hammer lately man! I'm gunna have to step up. bin listening to Ahh Diddums and enjoying it too much to critique properly.

i swear i've posted that picture somewhere before..

jams, what exactly about my stuff has influenced you? this is unexpected.

Just the general feel youve got on it. sounds kinda cold and distorted but with warm static crackle in the background. really dug that. has this kinda solitary lonely feeling even when the tunes are upbeat. So been recording on one laptop mic in the cold echoey garage.

jaming chords with distant vocals. Your stuff is also impacting in that i haven't been rushing through songs... sort of having it more mellow, even with long stretches of just letting chords ring out so theres time to appreciate each note.

Kinda riffing on your album but probably not gunna release any of it... its just spurred me on to relax about playing. so yeah, cheers dude! when i get payed probs buy it.

still playing stare me down, and checked out ahh diddums...' rh covers on youtube.

now that all my cd's are burnt, I'll be binging on YA downloads. I feel like I've been listening to a little too much of the same artists here. which isn't bad itself because it's great music, but yeah, no sense in eating only one dish at a buffet. man what am I talking about.

checking out bearskinspirit's myspace http://www.myspace.com/giantowl

first song to grab was 'brian wilson was my dad', and the following track is also quite good 'town doctor'. some more animal collective influenced songs. I think one or two of the songs so far, at first listen, are too lo-fi'd out in unflattering ways.

brian wilson is quite a great song.

thanks for the plug man! town doctor was actually made with the help of the dead baron. i sent him some keyboard riffs i had and he mixed them together and arranged the track and then i got him to add some fireworks drum and massacre of the troupe drum in the background. big thanks to him on that one.

I plan on re-recording brian wilson was my dad later. gonna get the shit all sparkly like a beach boys song. hopefully it will sound cool. battle with the trees is lo-fi as fuck, yeah. first thing i recorded the morning after i got my new laptop and i was new to all this recording through audacity and all, and i planned on re-recording that also but i liked how it sounded like there was a keyboard going on also and i thought that was real cool. safe place was originally going to be me beatboxing but for some reason i decided to go into lyrics at last second and i had two lines written down already so i just kept repeating those two lines because i suck at freestyling lol

anyways, glad that you like!

Edited by bearskinspirit